The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 211Likes

post #31 of 409 Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgun View Post
OK, got mine one week ago and here are my impressions so far...
First of all, I am running a pretty basic setup, 3 video input sources; Oppo 103D BR player, Oppo 203 BR player and DIRECTV. I do occasionally stream from Netflix or VUDU through the Oppo 103.
2 audio input sources; my Rega turntable and the analog and digital outputs from the Oppo 203. I’m sure I will stream music through it at some point but I have a Sonos setup that covers the house well for that right now.

The BAD:
- For some unknown reason they neglected to install the ‘PUSH’ tab locks on the XLR inputs. Very odd.
- I have experienced HDMI handshake problems when switching from sources that are on and running, specifically from the input with DIRECTV on it to the input with the Oppo BDM-103D. I have experienced audio with no video and vice versa. I found that if I have leave the Oppo off then switch to that input before turning the player on it syncs up perfectly so I am just keeping that in mind for now.

The GOOD:
- 2 channel stereo is magnificent. I listen to a lot of vinyl and do so with nothing but my main L and R speakers, no sub. It sounds much better than the Yamaha CX-A5200 that this may be replacing and the Yammy sounds pretty damn good. Somehow the sound is both a bit softer yet more detailed and precise. A good example would be the track So What on Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue album. There are a couple of moments in the song where Miles and Coltrane are playing at the same time and in the past it has sounded a bit edgy. No harsh but close to it. With the EMO it is absolutely smooth as silk and the trumpet and sax sound more accurate. The decay of each note is clearer and more sustained. I mainly listen to rock bit this is the best example I have heard so far.
- Surround Sound has more impact. I find it is hard to do a true comparison with this because I can’t listen to the Yammy then quickly listen to the EMO but the sound seems to have more impact with the EMO. When the front 3 channels light up, they really light up. Crisp, clear and precise. I had the Yamaha professionally calibrated a few months ago so I just copied the EQ settings, distance and volume level for each channel from what the Yamaha was set at. I’ve made some tweaks here and there but overall am pretty close to the Yamaha settings. I feel like the surround and rear surrounds are not as active when things are calm on the screen. When the action starts up they do too though. It actually feels more accurate to what I am seeing with my eyes. Again, it is difficult to do a side by side though. Just watching films I know really well and have a solid memory of the soundscape on.

The PERSONAL PREFERENCE:
- The metal remote. Useless and a waste of money in my opinion. I would much rather have a plastic remote control that is backlit.
- The menu system. It is very basic but also very easy to navigate and intuitive. I kind of liked the graphics of the Yamaha though. For instance, the Yamaha showed my the EQ slopes on a full frequency band display, the EMO just lets you pick the frequency and make the adjustments. Very functional but not as elegant. I would compare the EMO menu system to DOS as far as what you see. This is a minor gripe though. As I said, it is pretty intuitive and easy to navigate once you get a feel for it. Just no frills.

I think that’s what I have for now. I’ll update as I discover more bads and goods.

I spoke to Emotiva today about the 2 BAD items listed above. They are trying to decide what to do about the missing tabs on the inputs and gave me the company line of, ‘we are constantly working on ways to improve the HDMI handshake idiosyncrasies’ in reference to the switching problems. I‘m not thrilled about sending it back to get the tabs installed but if I have to, I have to. They need to be there. The inputs from my Phono Pre Amp are in there pretty solidly but I want the tabs. I’m not sure if they can be snapped in from the outside of the backplate or if it requires some disassembly. Either way I am inclined to let them do it so the work is completely covered by the warranty.

Overall, I really like it and will most likely keep it. I am in no rush to make a decision though. I confirmed that the 30 day return window does not begin until the Dirac is delivered and that seems to have no imminent release date.

If anyone has any questions please ask away. I have played around with it pretty extensively over the past few days and may be able to answer them.

-Jeff
So you saying that this is way better than AV7705 can you explain is it just sound better does it perform better is it more consistence then the AV7705 i hear about these bugs and i hear that Marantz perform with no issues at all just wanted more input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 409 Old 10-25-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinnw2 View Post
So you saying that this is way better than AV7705 can you explain is it just sound better does it perform better is it more consistence then the AV7705 i hear about these bugs and i hear that Marantz perform with no issues at all just wanted more input.
I’ve never seen or used the Marantz unit so I can’t help you out there
post #33 of 409 Old 10-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:

The BAD:
- For some unknown reason they neglected to install the ‘PUSH’ tab locks on the XLR inputs. Very odd. .

I spoke to Emotiva today about the 2 BAD items listed above. They are trying to decide what to do about the missing tabs on the inputs. I‘m not thrilled about sending it back to get the tabs installed but if I have to, I have to. They need to be there. The inputs from my Phono Pre Amp are in there pretty solidly but I want the tabs. I’m not sure if they can be snapped in from the outside of the backplate or if it requires some disassembly. Either way I am inclined to let them do it so the work is completely covered by the warranty.

-Jeff
Got a response from Emotiva today about the missing tabs/pins. The Production Manager said that the picture on the website was taken of a pre production unit and that the production units do not have them. I checked some owner pics around the web and they all seem to be without them so that appears to be the case. They did update the picture on the website so that’s something I guess. I checked the pics of the back of the RMC-1 and it does not have the tabs/pins either. Apparently EMO doesn’t feel that is money well spent. As I said before the connectors are in there solidly so I suppose I’ll let it drop. I’ve seen other companies do the same thing with a new product and the pics on the website.

Also, I played around with the levels on the surround and rear surround channels last night and bumped them up a bit. The balance between front and back sounds better to me now. I’ll continue to fiddle with things. I enjoy getting equipment dialed in like this. My calibration guy is retiring from the business but will be making one last trip out my way. Unfortunately that won’t be for another year so I’m on my own until then...damn these first world problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Got a response from Emotiva today about the missing tabs/pins. The Production Manager said that the picture on the website was taken of a pre production unit and that the production units do not have them. I checked some owner pics around the web and they all seem to be without them so that appears to be the case. They did update the picture on the website so that’s something I guess. I checked the pics of the back of the RMC-1 and it does not have the tabs/pins either. Apparently EMO doesn’t feel that is money well spent. As I said before the connectors are in there solidly so I suppose I’ll let it drop. I’ve seen other companies do the same thing with a new product and the pics on the website.

Also, I played around with the levels on the surround and rear surround channels last night and bumped them up a bit. The balance between front and back sounds better to me now. I’ll continue to fiddle with things. I enjoy getting equipment dialed in like this. My calibration guy is retiring from the business but will be making one last trip out my way. Unfortunately that won’t be for another year so I’m on my own until then...damn these first world problems!
May I suggest $75 calibrated Umik-1 microphone and Room EQ Wizard. A great help in calibrating and level balancing ... will tell you everything you need to know (albeit along with some things you may not want to know). Umik-1 works really well with Dirac too (when it arrives).
jeffgun likes this.
post #35 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
Doesn't the unit come with an individually calibrated Mic (pretty sure it's nearly an identical mic to the UMIK-1)?
jeffgun likes this.
post #36 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Doesn't the unit come with an individually calibrated Mic (pretty sure it's nearly an identical mic to the UMIK-1)?
Same question I was about to ask...
post #37 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombarmj View Post
May I suggest $75 calibrated Umik-1 microphone and Room EQ Wizard. A great help in calibrating and level balancing ... will tell you everything you need to know (albeit along with some things you may not want to know). Umik-1 works really well with Dirac too (when it arrives).
Thanks for the info! Is it significantly better than the calibrated mic that came with the unit?
post #38 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is it significantly better than the calibrated mic that came with the unit?
Yes others have said it's better and I happened to have the Umik so I used it instead of the one that comes with the XMC. But besides that, you can use the Umik and REW to measure the results after calibration. Especially with Dirac, you have some options as to how you do the measurements - different patterns, distance between measurements, calibration curves - so measuring after calibration will let you correlate what you hear with the measured response. And also, beyond amplitude response, you can see decay times, phase at the crossover frequency, etc.
jeffgun likes this.
post #39 of 409 Old 10-30-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked: 5678
Quote:
Quote:
Same question I was about to ask...
The mic that came with my XMC-1, which is the same that comes with the XMC-2 and RMC-1 is not as good as the miniDSP UMIK-1 from CSL. The Emotiva mic (EMM-1) is calibrated by batch, like the miniDSP UMIK-1 purchased from miniDSP or authorized dealers. If you want an individually calibrated mic, you have to get the miniDSP UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum Labs (CSL). BTW, the mic that comes with Emotiva processors is not USB. It's a XLR mic with an external audio interface built in the mic XLR to USB cable. If I recall the Emotiva EMM-1 is made by Dayton. I used it only one time and got very bad results. The results with my UMIK-1 from CSL were much better, like night and day better. Just my 2 cents.
jeffgun, tngiloy, stustan and 1 others like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #40 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I've decided to go with the XMC2 after first contemplating the NAD T778 and Arcam AVR10. Reading the owners thread on Emotiva it just seems the XMC2 has most of the bugs worked out (and that HDMI issues are fixable with the right cables, which I already use the premium certified monoprice ones at 6ft and shorter).

I'm trying to snag a 40% off card to use. How does that work? Do I call to order and they charge me once I send the card in?
post #41 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes others have said it's better and I happened to have the Umik so I used it instead of the one that comes with the XMC. But besides that, you can use the Umik and REW to measure the results after calibration. Especially with Dirac, you have some options as to how you do the measurements - different patterns, distance between measurements, calibration curves - so measuring after calibration will let you correlate what you hear with the measured response. And also, beyond amplitude response, you can see decay times, phase at the crossover frequency, etc.
Great info. Thanks so much. I will definitely grab one!
post #42 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The mic that came with my XMC-1, which is the same that comes with the XMC-2 and RMC-1 is not as good as the miniDSP UMIK-1 from CSL. The Emotiva mic (EMM-1) is calibrated by batch, like the miniDSP UMIK-1 purchased from miniDSP or authorized dealers. If you want an individually calibrated mic, you have to get the miniDSP UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum Labs (CSL). BTW, the mic that comes with Emotiva processors is not USB. It's a XLR mic with an external audio interface built in the mic XLR to USB cable. If I recall the Emotiva EMM-1 is made by Dayton. I used it only one time and got very bad results. The results with my UMIK-1 from CSL were much better, like night and day better. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks enrico. Great info. I’ll grab one.
post #43 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Great info. Thanks so much. I will definitely grab one!
FYI here's my latest measurement after Dirac calibration 7.1 channels with the XMC-1. Returning the mic to the MLP after Dirac I measure the amplitude response. I may go back to a set of Dirac measurements and tweak the response curve based on these measurements and listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 22 19 Mic Forward.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	2635022  
post #44 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How much better is the standard (non cross spectrum labs) UMIK-1 vs the included Emotiva mic?

Tried to get a cross spectrum labs UMIK-1 but it was out of stock.
post #45 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
FYI here's my latest measurement after Dirac calibration 7.1 channels with the XMC-1. Returning the mic to the MLP after Dirac I measure the amplitude response. I may go back to a set of Dirac measurements and tweak the response curve based on these measurements and listening.
Very nice. This is the one you used?
https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1
post #46 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Very nice. This is the one you used?
https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1
Yes, that's it.
post #47 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's it.
Fantastic. Forgive my ignorance here but is the mic and the REW software all that I need to get it done? Never done a calibration myself before.
Thanks
post #48 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Fantastic. Forgive my ignorance here but is the mic and the REW software all that I need to get it done? Never done a calibration myself before.
Thanks
I'll back up a little. Of course there is no Dirac yet for XMC-2. To do the Dirac Calibration there will be software on your PC, and you can use the Umik-1 along with its calibration file to do the Dirac measurements. After Dirac calibration you can use the Umik and REW to measure the results.

Prior to Dirac being available you can use the Umik and REW to set levels of all your channels. You can also measure frequency response and use that info to possibly optimize speaker location (especially subwoofers) and determine the best crossover frequencies for bass management. You can also use the EQ section of REW to create parametric filter parameters which can be transferred to the XMC-2. Of course Dirac will do a better job, but these filters can be very effective in the interim, especially if you have large bass peaks as many systems have below 200Hz.

AustinJerry has a great REW tutorial here. It provides all the details to set up REW to do multichannel measurements over HDMI.

https://www.minidsp.com/support/comm...by-austinjerry
post #49 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'll back up a little. Of course there is no Dirac yet for XMC-2. To do the Dirac Calibration there will be software on your PC, and you can use the Umik-1 along with its calibration file to do the Dirac measurements. After Dirac calibration you can use the Umik and REW to measure the results.

Prior to Dirac being available you can use the Umik and REW to set levels of all your channels. You can also measure frequency response and use that info to possibly optimize speaker location (especially subwoofers) and determine the best crossover frequencies for bass management. You can also use the EQ section of REW to create parametric filter parameters which can be transferred to the XMC-2. Of course Dirac will do a better job, but these filters can be very effective in the interim, especially if you have large bass peaks as many systems have below 200Hz.

AustinJerry has a great REW tutorial here. It provides all the details to set up REW to do multichannel measurements over HDMI.

https://www.minidsp.com/support/comm...by-austinjerry
Got it. Thanks. I just ordered one. I’ll play around with it and see what I come up with then when Dirac finally becomes available I’ll use it with that.
I had my system professionally calibrated using my Yamaha CX-A5200 and I just mirrored the EQ, distance and level settings for the XMC but I’m sure there will be differences since it’s a completely different piece of equipment.
post #50 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Got it. Thanks. I just ordered one. I’ll play around with it and see what I come up with then when Dirac finally becomes available I’ll use it with that.
I had my system professionally calibrated using my Yamaha CX-A5200 and I just mirrored the EQ, distance and level settings for the XMC but I’m sure there will be differences since it’s a completely different piece of equipment.
I forgot to mention ... you can get phase and impulse response from the REW measurement and that will allow you to check that all the speakers are in phase and to fine tune the time delay to get every channel arriving at the MLP at the same time.
post #51 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually just going to see about sending in the Emotiva microphone to be calibrated by Cross Spectrum. See how it goes.
post #52 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4312 Post(s)
Liked: 5678
Quote:
How much better is the standard (non cross spectrum labs) UMIK-1 vs the included Emotiva mic?

Tried to get a cross spectrum labs UMIK-1 but it was out of stock.
Are you sure? In their website says Limit One Per Order and it's showing in stock.

http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

Like I said, as far I can tell 99% of Emotiva processors owners don't use the included mic. It's a waste of money sending that mic to CSL for calibration. When I did the comparison between the Emotiva EMM-1 vs UMIK-1 from CSL, the big difference was below 60Hz. Approaching 20Hz, the difference in readings was more than 10dB at most frequencies. The UMIK-1 from CSL is calibrated down to 5Hz.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik G22 (x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #53 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? In their website says Limit One Per Order and it's showing in stock.

Like I said, as far I can tell 99% of Emotiva processors owners don't use the included mic. It's a waste of money sending that mic to CSL for calibration. When I did the comparison between the Emotiva EMM-1 vs UMIK-1 from CSL, the big difference was below 60Hz. Approaching 20Hz, the difference in readings was more than 10dB at most frequencies. The UMIK-1 from CSL is calibrated down to 5Hz.
If you try to go through the purchase process it comes up as Sold Out. Not sure why they haven’t updated the site to reflect that...
post #54 of 409 Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As Jeff said, when you try to check out it is sold out. A user on the Emotiva forums said he sent the EMM-1 in to CSL and the calibration file they made for it was night and day
post #55 of 409 Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any eta for Dirac? i am sitting on the fence between one of these and a Marantz 7705
post #56 of 409 Old 11-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza6887 View Post
Any eta for Dirac? i am sitting on the fence between one of these and a Marantz 7705
Nope. Couldn’t get a date from them when I spoke to them a week or two ago. Annoying but it is nice that the 30 return window doesn’t start until the Dirac is delivered. That’s something I suppose...
post #57 of 409 Old 11-02-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Nope. Couldn’t get a date from them when I spoke to them a week or two ago. Annoying but it is nice that the 30 return window doesn’t start until the Dirac is delivered. That’s something I suppose...
Emo podcast says "by Christmas" but I think that's a thing people say this time of year. Keith said in an email exchange that when Dirac ships it will be the full version for XMC-2 and RMC - no extra charge - so Dirac can maintain one version for all partners. Sometime later Dirac will provide some additional (free) bass management feature. Later yet, there will be a paid upgrade available to Dirac Bass Management. As with all things Emo, we will be patient and enjoy the great sound as it is in the meantime.

That said, I'm waiting for Dirac before doing my upgrade.
tngiloy and sealmaniac like this.
post #58 of 409 Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Emo podcast says "by Christmas" but I think that's a thing people say this time of year. Keith said in an email exchange that when Dirac ships it will be the full version for XMC-2 and RMC - no extra charge - so Dirac can maintain one version for all partners. Sometime later Dirac will provide some additional (free) bass management feature. Later yet, there will be a paid upgrade available to Dirac Bass Management. As with all things Emo, we will be patient and enjoy the great sound as it is in the meantime.

That said, I'm waiting for Dirac before doing my upgrade.

I now have no receiver in my theatre so might have to just buy one as use it without any room correction
post #59 of 409 Old 11-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Confirmed by Emotiva customer service that the 30 Dirac return window DOES NOT apply to any promo purchases (i.e. receiver trade-in, or XMC-1 trade in promo)
post #60 of 409 Old 11-07-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 324
As many others, I am watching the XMC-2 and hoping for the Monprice HTP-1 to become available soon.
I cannot wait to buy one of those, as soon as DiracLive is available.

But has the XMC-2 MSRP really increased to 4000USD? Last time I checked, it was 3000USD (Sept.19). Today, their website shows MSRP 4008USD?

Is that just a bug? I was not expecting a 33% increase in price...might tip the balance towards the HTP-1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page