The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 227Likes

post #241 of 451 Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6570 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdec2 View Post
I never said firmware updates to fix bugs is a problem. I understand what you are saying with your generalizations but I don’t understand why it’s important about what is right or wrong with these companies.

My XMC2 works great and that’s all that matters. Now I gotta run some more REW since I went from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4.

Until Dirac arrives... 😊
Guess we have a different idea of "works great".
llang269 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 451 Old 04-04-2020, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Quote:
I never said firmware updates to fix bugs is a problem. I understand what you are saying with your generalizations but I don’️t understand why it’️s important about what is right or wrong with these companies.

My XMC2 works great and that’️s all that matters. Now I gotta run some more REW since I went from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4.

Until Dirac arrives... 😊
I hope simple words like “works great” really require no translation.

Been using it all day today - works great 👍
steelman1991 and Modicen like this.

Last edited by Lsdec2; 04-04-2020 at 04:19 PM.
post #243 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Not to stir anything up here, can you guys correct your sub with the DSP? When I use the DSP for the sub, it makes no correction. Is this a problem unique to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Needing firmware updates to fix bugs is not the problem. The problem is the excessively large number of bugs in basic functions on initial release. There's something fundamentally wrong with how these companies operate when a online retailer like Monoprice can develop its own processor that isn't worse (or even better) than what we see from companies that have been in the business for decades.

ATI/Datasat wasn't involved with the Monoprice unit? I thought it was (but my info is probably a little outdated--I haven't followed that thread as closely as I should).
post #245 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post
ATI/Datasat wasn't involved with the Monoprice unit? I thought it was (but my info is probably a little outdated--I haven't followed that thread as closely as I should).

Monoprice HTP-1 is basically a rebadged Datasat (well ATi, which now owns Datasat). ATI is even stamped on the back of the unit.

I am not sure which engineers from the ATi team worked on it. Maybe someone else will know?
llang269 likes this.
post #246 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

Monoprice HTP-1 is basically a rebadged Datasat (well ATi, which now owns Datasat). ATI is even stamped on the back of the unit.

I am not sure which engineers from the ATi team worked on it. Maybe someone else will know?
Which model? I wasn’t able to find any Datasat units that mirror the HTP1.
post #247 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 5442
Quote:
Which model? I wasn’t able to find any Datasat units that mirror the HTP1.
My understanding which may be wrong is that it's not an ATI model per se, but it's built by them.

My Stuff.
Spoiler!
post #248 of 451 Old 04-05-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Quote:
Which model? I wasn’️t able to find any Datasat units that mirror the HTP1.
My understanding which may be wrong is that it's not an ATI model per se, but it's built by them.
Yes. I don’t think Monoprice makes anything in house. They did a nice job working with ATI and whoever else for the amps and subs too.
post #249 of 451 Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
audiosciencerview measured both units. They are both at the top end of HT measurements, the Emotiva might even be considered a touch better than the HTP-1 with V1.9 but they measure very similarily which is not surprising as they have very similar dac and opamps and both are a competent implementation.

The HTP-1 is likely more stable from what I can see but the XMC-2 is a lot better with the current firmware than older firmware and be careful of people referencing old info with the Emotivas. The big difference is the HTP-1 has good working Dirac right now but the XMC-2 is quite a bit cheaper and should get Dirac soonish. Feature wise the XMC-2 has more analogue audio focussed features whilst the HTP-1 will likely get DTS:X pro faster and has Auro.

So there is no way to do room correction until Dirac Live 2.0 support is added to the XMc-2? Is this still supposed to happen this month ? Have all owners now received this new hardware dongle that is supposedly needed for Dirac (strange !!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by blake; 04-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.
post #250 of 451 Old 04-07-2020, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
My xmc-2 with xpa gen3 have lost much of the low bass sounds! I have until yesterday listen everyday with great sound in straight mode reference stereo! The bass has been incredible on the very lows like 40hz-20hz! My canton ref2k goes to 18hz so you really feel the sound in your back! But now all that is gone, what has happend...? The source is Tidal and cd! But it sounds the same on both so something in wrong in processor or poweramp?
post #251 of 451 Old 04-07-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
audiosciencerview measured both units. They are both at the top end of HT measurements, the Emotiva might even be considered a touch better than the HTP-1 with V1.9 but they measure very similarily which is not surprising as they have very similar dac and opamps and both are a competent implementation.

The HTP-1 is likely more stable from what I can see but the XMC-2 is a lot better with the current firmware than older firmware and be careful of people referencing old info with the Emotivas. The big difference is the HTP-1 has good working Dirac right now but the XMC-2 is quite a bit cheaper and should get Dirac soonish. Feature wise the XMC-2 has more analogue audio focussed features whilst the HTP-1 will likely get DTS:X pro faster and has Auro.

So there is no way to do room correction until Dirac Live 2.0 support is added to the XMc-1 ? Is this still supposed to happen this month ? Have all owners now received this new hardware dongle that is supposedly needed for Dirac (strange !!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m assuming you mean XMC2.

Yes the solution hasn’t changed since Emotiva announced the black box hardware needed for Dirac.

I’m guessing due to the coronavirus, no one had gotten the hardware or the license info.
post #252 of 451 Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Hello, I still don't have this unit installed and trying to get my ducks in a row. Can any of the unused channels be configured for a second center? Thanks!

Last edited by Stevetd; 04-08-2020 at 07:38 AM.
post #253 of 451 Old 04-08-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Hello, I still don't have this unit installed and trying to get my ducks in a row. Can any of the unused channels be configured for a second center? Thanks!
there is only one output for the center.

The configuration is limited to the 3 sub outputs - 2 can be repurposed for additional ceiling speakers. Also the front wides can be used to bi-amp the mains.
post #254 of 451 Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

The configuration is limited to the 3 sub outputs - 2 can be repurposed for additional ceiling speakers. Also the front wides can be used to bi-amp the mains.
I thought that was the case but, the OM can be quite vague on some things. Thank you!

Any issue with using an XLR "Y" adapter for the center?
post #255 of 451 Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I thought that was the case but, the OM can be quite vague on some things. Thank you!

No problem. Unfortunately, I’m not sure on that question.

I don’t think there would be any issues but you may want to call Emotiva and talk to their tech support.
post #256 of 451 Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread

Quote:
No problem. Unfortunately, I’m not sure on that question.

I don’t think there would be any issues but you may want to call Emotiva and talk to their tech support.

Will do and thanks again!

Edit: I checked with Emotiva and they replied it was not a problem.

Last edited by Stevetd; 04-10-2020 at 06:03 AM.
post #257 of 451 Old 04-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am not really satisfied with the sound in stereo mode with xmc-2! After a couple of ours I here dissortion from the speakers on cd and tidal streaming! I get the feeling when playing music with much bass on loud levels that the fun is going to end a little bit to fast! Like I bottom the bass to fast,it should sound more! I have now install my old Harman/kardon pm 665vxi and for sure I can play more and louder with controll on my woofers! No bad sounds, feels Much more powerful in the bass! I use the Pm665vxi as a preamp and xpa gen3 as poweramp! The source is tidal on a Linn Ds streamer and I only use reference stereo mode! Tried every modes and The reference mode allways win! Oh forget, the speakers is Canton reference 2k! Because I use HK like a preamp the power in gen3 should not be the problem
post #258 of 451 Old 04-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 3650
Quote:
You're impressed with a rollout that is much less buggy? Are your expectations always that low? I mean that thing costs 4000 dollars! It shouldn't have any readily identifiable bugs at all.
I've been away from this part of AVS for quite awhile until recently to check on the status of the XMC-2.

But one thing that hasn't changed in a few years is your non stop negativity. I would think you would give up railing against companies like Emotiva, Monoprice and any other company that's in your sights. Does it get old being on the front lines trying to bring these companies down? If it bothers you as much as it appears to why not start your own "boutique" A/V company and put out a bug free processor. In today's world a buggy processor should be the least of our problems.

I'm certainly not a fan of Emotiva's business practices at times or it's owner. But I've been enjoying my XMC-1 with no issues in quite a few years. It just plain works and sounds incredible.

Bill
tngiloy, pdcinc and drh3b like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #259 of 451 Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I've been away from this part of AVS for quite awhile until recently to check on the status of the XMC-2.

But one thing that hasn't changed in a few years is your non stop negativity. I would think you would give up railing against companies like Emotiva, Monoprice and any other company that's in your sights. Does it get old being on the front lines trying to bring these companies down? If it bothers you as much as it appears to why not start your own "boutique" A/V company and put out a bug free processor. In today's world a buggy processor should be the least of our problems.

I'm certainly not a fan of Emotiva's business practices at times or it's owner. But I've been enjoying my XMC-1 with no issues in quite a few years. It just plain works and sounds incredible.

Bill
Prime example of red herring and ad hominem.

Nonstop buggy products results in nonstop "negativity". These companies want our money so they need to deliver on what they promised. Simple as that. You're barking up the wrong tree.
DS-21 and sveineb like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 04-10-2020 at 11:05 PM.
post #260 of 451 Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 3650
Quote:
Prime example of red herring and ad hominem.

Nonstop buggy products results in nonstop "negativity". These companies want our money so they need to deliver on what they promised. Simple as that. You're barking up the wrong tree.
It seems you're doing a majority of the "barking". Do you contact Emotiva, Monoprice and other companies with buggy products with the same zeal as you do here on AVS? Do you spend time in other sub forums here on AVS that discuss products that are buggy? I'd think you would be all over the display and digital player sub forums. The reason being is if you're so concerned about buggy products why focus all your energy on just processors.

I can understand your frustration. But with posts like the ones below you also go after those that own these processors. The last thing someone needs is being lectured and ridiculed by you on their purchase. No one needs your "negativity" being directed at them on a product they bought. It's frustrating enough without your comments questioning their purchase. Ever consider that?
Quote:
You're impressed with a rollout that is much less buggy? Are your expectations always that low? I mean that thing costs 4000 dollars! It shouldn't have any readily identifiable bugs at all.
Quote:
The two posts above are just from this thread. I've seen many posts just like the above from you directed at fellow AVS members. The interesting thing is you don't even own the XMC-2 as far as I know. You probably don't own any of the processors you are railing against. Going after individuals that buy these processors isn't going accomplish anything IMO. Maybe direct your energy and solutions at the companies themselves. That'd be constructive. Just a thought...

Bill
steelman1991 likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #261 of 451 Old 04-11-2020, 05:44 AM

*arf* *arf*

Markus

Last edited by markus767; 04-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #262 of 451 Old 04-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 3473 Post(s)
Liked: 3684
Quote:

One thing to consider is that, if the two centers are not matched in model and placement, then the processor will not be able to adjust their level and frequency response individually using a Y cable.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #263 of 451 Old 04-11-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
One thing to consider is that, if the two centers are not matched in model and placement, then the processor will not be able to adjust their level and frequency response individually using a Y cable.
For sure. I wouldn't consider anything but exact speakers right next to each other. Actually, I wouldn't have considered it period but, my previous AVP had two center channel outputs. I said what the heck and tried it and liked it LOL.
post #264 of 451 Old 04-11-2020, 04:20 PM

I’m not so sure about 2 centers side to side. What I am sure is that the front wides make a big difference in Atmos movies.
post #265 of 451 Old 04-12-2020, 07:44 PM

The front wides....I think 9.x.4 is ideal! Any reason for middle heights?
post #266 of 451 Old 04-13-2020, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I’m not so sure about 2 centers side to side. What I am sure is that the front wides make a big difference in Atmos movies.
I probably should've thought more about front wides. I'm going from a 5.1 and 7.1 to 7.1.4 in both, so I'm wire runned, drywall cut and painted out LOL. I could try it in one of them with some towers or speakers on stands though.
post #267 of 451 Old 04-13-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️m not so sure about 2 centers side to side. What I am sure is that the front wides make a big difference in Atmos movies.
I probably should've thought more about front wides. I'm going from a 5.1 and 7.1 to 7.1.4 in both, so I'm wire runned, drywall cut and painted out LOL. I could try it in one of them with some towers or speakers on stands though.
Yes you might want to try it out first.

I tried it out with my spare definitive BP2 surround speakers at the front wide location and was like whoa! This is pretty impressive in how the front soundstage widened and the front to back panning was smoother. So then I replaced the front wides with my surround backs (Revel F12) that’s full range. So now my front wides and surround sides are Revel F12s. I have to temporarily use my old Polk S10 for the surround rear but that’s ok bc those are the least important surround speakers imho.

As I said, I feel like I’m at the theaters finally. Now I just need to find a pair of old Revel F12 for surround backs. 😊
post #268 of 451 Old 04-13-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

I tried it out with my spare definitive BP2 surround speakers at the front wide location and was like whoa! This is pretty impressive in how the front soundstage widened and the front to back panning was smoother. So then I replaced the front wides with my surround backs (Revel F12) that’s full range. So now my front wides and surround sides are Revel F12s. I have to temporarily use my old Polk S10 for the surround rear but that’s ok bc those are the least important surround speakers imho.

As I said, I feel like I’m at the theaters finally. Now I just need to find a pair of old Revel F12 for surround backs. 😊
Dang it, now I'm off to look for more speakers LOL. I'll be looking for something similar since my fronts are DefTech 7001's.
post #269 of 451 Old 04-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I tried it out with my spare definitive BP2 surround speakers at the front wide location and was like whoa! This is pretty impressive in how the front soundstage widened and the front to back panning was smoother. So then I replaced the front wides with my surround backs (Revel F12) that’️s full range. So now my front wides and surround sides are Revel F12s. I have to temporarily use my old Polk S10 for the surround rear but that’️s ok bc those are the least important surround speakers imho.

As I said, I feel like I’️m at the theaters finally. Now I just need to find a pair of old Revel F12 for surround backs. 😊
Dang it, now I'm off to look for more speakers LOL. I'll be looking for something similar since my fronts are DefTech 7001's.
I would definitely try it out first if I were you.

Not everyone feels the same way about front wides.
post #270 of 451 Old 04-13-2020, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

3. can you control this pre pro with an automation system (ex Crestron). Is RS232 control possible (much more simple/reliable than IP!)
Is anyone here controlling the XMC-2 with a Crestron automation system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page