The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By RickAVManiac
  • 1 Post By lexiconthx
  • 1 Post By MUDCAT45
  • 2 Post By sealmaniac
  • 1 Post By lombarmj
  • 1 Post By sbquart

post #1 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 455
The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread

Time to start the owners thread.

Latest firmware: version 1.5

Emotiva official XMC-2 page: https://emotiva.com/products/xmc-2

XMC-2 user manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/25..._v10.pdf?42957

Main features:

- 16 Channels
- Dolby Atmos 9.1.6
- DTS-X 7.1.4
- Audiophile grade AKM4490 Verita DACs (operating in fully balanced Mono mode for the three front main channels)
- Support for up to three separate subwoofers, with independent level, distance, room correction, and EQ settings for each.
- Two sets of fully independent 11-band manual parametric speaker EQ settings.
Global Bass and Treble controls with user-selectable turnover points (independent from more complex EQ settings).
- 18 Gbps video bandwidth with bit-perfect signal switching on all HDMI inputs and outputs. Supports formats up to 4k UHD 50/60Hz 4.4.4 with HDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision

I install my XMC-2 couples day ago. Replacing my Anthem 720 and before that the XMC-1.

I am using it in a 5.1.2 setup with couples of gears like cable box, Apple TV 4k. Zappiti Pro and my 4k PC. I was not expecting that but so far so good. The XMC-2 HDMI work flawlessly in my home theatre. No problem even with Apple TV 4K HDR signal. Actually not once I had a HDMI issue and not once I had to reboot the XMC-2 for any problems.

With my XMC-1 I had to reboot time to time especially when doing testing with a lot of back and forth. In my setup, the sound quality is better than the Anthem it replace. The sound just feel right. Rich and detail but not bright nor muddy.

So first impression is important and for now I really like this XMC-2. Will have the chance to do more tests in the comings day so I will report back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D4C877F-A29F-46C6-BD30-5A6A3B4DDBDC.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2615024   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E452F0C-7BD6-48C6-9271-C8C7DA160698.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2615026   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB18F832-6CCA-4238-8C06-70B3D0DFD57D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	2615028  
pixphipau and Geronimo.USMC like this.

Last edited by RickAVManiac; 09-14-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-14-2019, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First tips to current and future owners. According to my experience and other XMC-2 owners if you use a HDMI 2.1 cable it help a lot to reduce HDMI 4K HDR incompatibility and problems. Many first owners realize recently that changing for recent HDMI 2.1 cable have solve almost all remaining HDMI issues.

For my part with my Appel TV 4K, I use a Belkin 6 feets HDMI 2.1 cable and so far do good everything is fine even with the 60 fps 4K HDR.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There as been a lot of questions on the XMC-2, 30 days return policy as to know if it start right after purchase or start only after Dirac is launch, same as the RMC-1.

Some owners have call Emotiva to make things clear.

So it is confirm that the XMC-2, 30 days return period will start after Dirac is launch. Same as the RMC-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-18-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
That's isn't what is in writing on their website. It would be nice to see this in writing from someone associated with Emotiva. The 30 day return policy starting with delivery was spelled out clearly in the trade-in email they sent out yesterday. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that things are uncertain, typical product rollout for Emo.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #5 of 28 Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread

Someone call Emotiva and make it 100% confirm.

But I am with you on this one. To avoid confusion Emotiva should have just put right from the start, the real 30 days return policy on the XMC-2 product page.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I hope there are more Emo XMC-2 owners out there. I own one and I am very happy with the sound quality, getting use to the slow HDMI lock on. My only concern is with the pops and clicks when changing channels or switching tracks.
Not sure if they hurt my B&W 805 D3's. Also when playing CD's (via AES/EBU) every track change cuts the first second of the song. I use an Anthem STR Preamp in the chain for music now. Anyone else experience this?
post #7 of 28 Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1 week owner

Got mine last Monday after more than 3 weeks. The sound quality is really exceptional and today i used it for movie. My old 1080 LG looks like from its output. Its better than my oppo 93.

But the menu/ui/hdmi is so finicky.

Danny

X8500H | BDP-93 | PB-12 | Veritas V-6.3 | Sierra Tower/Horizon RAAL
post #8 of 28 Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
My only concern is with the pops and clicks when changing channels or switching tracks.

Not likely because they're very brief and there's not enough total energy input to overheat the voice coils.

Loud thumps that try to fling the woofer cones from their boxes would be another matter.

Noah
post #9 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Got Mine on Friday and Spent the weekend with it. The sound quality is amazing. Bass management is night and day better then my Marantz 7702mk2. People complain about the UI however I found it to be easy to use. I had no problems setting mine up and getting everything dialed in. It is a bummer that DIRAC isn't ready but it is coming. It does take a bit to turn on and switch inputs. These are not deal breaking issues though in my opinion. Only issue I have found so far is it cuts off the first (less then a second) part of a song when I play it from my Sonos using Spotify (Optical digital input). I have to see if this happens when playing a playlist or just because I jump around. Over all I'm really impressed with it though. As I said sound quality is amazing. I'm not getting any pops and clicks when changing tracks as the poster above talked about. I can't think of any other processor at this price point that sounds as good and has 16 channels. I will continue to really test it out but so far I'm really happy I got mine.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconthx View Post
Bass management is night and day better then my Marantz 7702mk2.

Could you elaborate (I also have a 7702mk2)?

Noah
post #11 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Could you elaborate (I also have a 7702mk2)?

I find with the XMC-2 especially for music (I listen to music in Stereo mode with the subs and mains 90% of the time) the bass is more seemless sounding with the XMC-2. With the Marantz the lower frequencies would boom from my subs and the higher bass frequencies would be lacking. I also found with the Marantz I had to turn my subs higher then my other speakers to get enough bass. On The XMC-2 all my channels are set at the same level. All this being said the Marantz still sounded great I just find the XMC-2 sounds much better. This says a lot about the quality of sound out of the XMC-2 because the Marantz is a great processor also.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
I don't understand why anyone would by an AVR from Emotiva after their recent run of sheer disaster.

A power amp perhaps, but not an AVR or preamp.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #13 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM

OK, but bass management refers to how the processor apportions the bass between the subs and mains; what you described sounds like a less than successful Audyssey setup which resulted in uneven bass response.

Having to turn up the bass after setup is typical for Audyssey.

Quote:
I find with the XMC-2 especially for music (I listen to music in Stereo mode with the subs and mains 90% of the time) the bass is more seemless sounding with the XMC-2. With the Marantz the lower frequencies would boom from my subs and the higher bass frequencies would be lacking. I also found with the Marantz I had to turn my subs higher then my other speakers to get enough bass. On The XMC-2 all my channels are set at the same level. All this being said the Marantz still sounded great I just find the XMC-2 sounds much better. This says a lot about the quality of sound out of the XMC-2 because the Marantz is a great processor also.

Noah
post #14 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
OK, but bass management refers to how the processor apportions the bass between the subs and mains; what you described sounds like a less than successful Audyssey setup which resulted in uneven bass response.

Having to turn up the bass after setup is typical for Audyssey.

This is what I was talking about when I said the bass sounds more seamless with the XMC-2. With the XMC-2 you can't tell what bass is coming from the subs and what is coming from the mains. It was easy to tell with the Marantz this is what I mean by seamless.

I didn't have to tun up the bass on my Integra which also had Audussey xt32 (older model before Onkyo/ Integra made their own room correction).
post #15 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I don't understand why anyone would by an AVR from Emotiva after their recent run of sheer disaster.

So far I have actually found the XMC-2 to be really stable. Have 30 days to send it back which I will if it is problematic. So far that isn't the case.
jeffgun likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 03:04 PM

Gotcha.

Quote:
This is what I was talking about when I said the bass sounds more seamless with the XMC-2. With the XMC-2 you can't tell what bass is coming from the subs and what is coming from the mains. It was easy to tell with the Marantz this is what I mean by seamless.

I didn't have to tun up the bass on my Integra which also had Audussey xt32 (older model before Onkyo/ Integra made their own room correction).

Noah
post #17 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

Which AVR are you referring to?
jeffgun likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I’ve got one on the way, arriving Thursday. Will update with my impressions once I get it settled in to my system.
I’ve currently got a Yammy CX-A5200 but want to see what kind of difference the EMO makes when listening to my vinyl in 2 channel stereo. I’m hoping for an improvement. The Yammy isn’t bad or anything, just want to hear other options and would like to avoid a separate pre amp specifically for music.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Which AVR are you referring to?
When I read that post questioning why anyone would buy an EMO product I wondered why someone who doesn’t even own one would take the time to get on an owners thread and slam it. Nothing better to do I suppose. Hilarious
post #20 of 28 Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Audio Pack Rat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Any new info on a Dirac timeline?
Also has anyone else asked if there is a timeline for actually doing a XMC-1 trade in?

I really do not want to go without Dirac in my room since it made such a large improvement as compared to no room correction or XT32.
tngiloy and stustan like this.

HT Info
Spoiler!
post #21 of 28 Old 10-17-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post
Any new info on a Dirac timeline?
Also has anyone else asked if there is a timeline for actually doing a XMC-1 trade in?

I really do not want to go without Dirac in my room since it made such a large improvement as compared to no room correction or XT32.
I received an email on the XMC-1 to XMC-2 tradein saying they had a number of units available for tradein. I responded by email asking a few questions, including Dirac availability. I received a response next day - not answering any of my questions - but saying the batch of XMC-2's designated for the XMC-1 tradein were sold out and the next batch would be available in November.

There is a podcast on the Emotiva site with a number of topics, and they say they expect Dirac "by Christmas".

I will not upgrade until Dirac is available.
post #22 of 28 Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lombarmj View Post
I received an email on the XMC-1 to XMC-2 tradein saying they had a number of units available for tradein. I responded by email asking a few questions, including Dirac availability. I received a response next day - not answering any of my questions - but saying the batch of XMC-2's designated for the XMC-1 tradein were sold out and the next batch would be available in November.

There is a podcast on the Emotiva site with a number of topics, and they say they expect Dirac "by Christmas".

I will not upgrade until Dirac is available.
I also will not think about upgrading until Dirac is up and working. I'm happy to wait and see what the XMC-2 Dirac looks like, get some 'professional' reviews and let Emo work out most of the bugs from their firmware before making a decision on whether to even do the trade-in.

Does anyone know if there is a cut-off date for when the trade-in is available??

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #23 of 28 Old 10-17-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I also will not think about upgrading until Dirac is up and working. I'm happy to wait and see what the XMC-2 Dirac looks like, get some 'professional' reviews and let Emo work out most of the bugs from their firmware before making a decision on whether to even do the trade-in.

Does anyone know if there is a cut-off date for when the trade-in is available??
Email from Emotiva Customer Care yesterday: "There is no end date on the trade in program that I am aware of at this time. It is possible that there may be an end date announced in the future, but at this point, I do not think that there should be an issue with waiting to go about the trade in process. The XMC-1 trade in is a special offer that we have set up; in order to trade your XMC-1 in towards the XMC-2, we would need to first receive the XMC-1 and check the unit in...once we do this, we would ship the XMC-2 out to you. The XMC-1 used a customer version of Dirac Live; as the new processors will use Dirac live 2.0, the software will not be the same, so the license from the other version of Dirac would likely not transfer to the new unit."
tngiloy likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-17-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
I just emailed Emo asking for details of the trade in, post purchase. I was already charged for the trade in, and there was something on their website about them shipping my new unit out around the end of the month and that I would need to send my unit in before it would ship, but so far they have not given me any details about returning the XMC-1 (no RMA, no address to send it to, etc.). Since I was already charged, I don't want to get an email in two weeks saying "Your new unit is ready to ship, but we haven't received your old unit yet" or something like that. I am not in a hurry, I have a perfectly functioning Marantz 7703 in place, but since they already billed my credit card, I don't want there to be delays waiting longer than I have to.

**EDIT** Already got a response:
Quote:
There is some processing to be done on our end. So there will be a little more time, but once we are ready to proceed, we will contact you with the return number as well as a shipping label to return the XMC-1. We want to be sure that everything is done up front so once we receive your XMC-1 there is not a big delay before the XMC-2 is sent to you.

Last edited by dkersten; 10-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-18-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 41
XMC-2 unboxing video. I like the size compared to the RMC-1.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombarmj View Post
Email from Emotiva Customer Care yesterday: "There is no end date on the trade in program that I am aware of at this time. It is possible that there may be an end date announced in the future, but at this point, I do not think that there should be an issue with waiting to go about the trade in process. The XMC-1 trade in is a special offer that we have set up; in order to trade your XMC-1 in towards the XMC-2, we would need to first receive the XMC-1 and check the unit in...once we do this, we would ship the XMC-2 out to you. The XMC-1 used a customer version of Dirac Live; as the new processors will use Dirac live 2.0, the software will not be the same, so the license from the other version of Dirac would likely not transfer to the new unit."
Update: I asked about whether there would be a free "Lite" version of Dirac 2.0, and "Full" version for extra charge. Keith replied, with the caveat that this may change but it's best info at this time ...

"Dirac Live 2.0 will only have one version - which will be the equivalent of the previous "full" version.
(So this is the version that will come with the XMC-2 and there will no longer be a "lite" version.)

However, also according to the information I have from them, of the promised future enhancements...
- the first one (which "offers better ability to see how your subs interact with your other speakers") will be free to all Dirac users
- there will be future additional "subwoofer enhancements" which will be cost-extra options for all Dirac users)

So, "lite" will go away, and everyone will get the same "full" version.....
But later there will be optional upgrades that all Dirac users can purchase.....

Again, this is based on the best information I have at the moment, but may change...
(Dirac has stressed their desire to do this part of things the same for every product that supports Dirac...) "

Thanks Keith for great info! Looking forward to this new Dirac version and doing the tradein!
post #27 of 28 Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question

Quote:
Got Mine on Friday and Spent the weekend with it. The sound quality is amazing. Bass management is night and day better then my Marantz 7702mk2. People complain about the UI however I found it to be easy to use. I had no problems setting mine up and getting everything dialed in. It is a bummer that DIRAC isn't ready but it is coming. It does take a bit to turn on and switch inputs. These are not deal breaking issues though in my opinion. Only issue I have found so far is it cuts off the first (less then a second) part of a song when I play it from my Sonos using Spotify (Optical digital input). I have to see if this happens when playing a playlist or just because I jump around. Over all I'm really impressed with it though. As I said sound quality is amazing. I'm not getting any pops and clicks when changing tracks as the poster above talked about. I can't think of any other processor at this price point that sounds as good and has 16 channels. I will continue to really test it out but so far I'm really happy I got mine.
would you prefer the XMC-2 over the Marantz AV7705
post #28 of 28 Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinnw2 View Post
would you prefer the XMC-2 over the Marantz AV7705

The quick answer to your question is for me yes. The XMC-2 sounds much better then the Marantz. I was blown away at how great the XMC-2 sounded. I haven't had any major issues with the XMC-2 either. I have noticed some really small glitches. Like I have my optical 2 input set to stereo and sometimes when I switch it stays in Dolby surround instead of switching to stereo (even though the display says stereo) it is easy to fix just switch the mode and switch back to stereo. Also if I jump around sounds on spotify with my sonos box it doesn't get the first fraction of a second of the song. If I let it play straight through this doesn't happen. Emotiva is working on this however and will be fixed with a firmware update. I have found video to look better on the XMC-2 also I think this is because the XMC-2 just passes the video through and doesn't do any processing. XMC-2 has more channels if you need that and will get DTS-X pro. The Marantz is solid though I can't think of any glitches with the Marantz. The Marantz also has IMAX enhanced which may or may not take off and Auro. Either are great units for me though I choose the XMC-2 for the great sound quality (it really is impressive), DIRAC (coming soon), Doesn't mess with Video and extra channels. Hope this helps if you have any other questions let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page