Connecting powered sub to AVR with no sub out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Connecting powered sub to AVR with no sub out

I'm going to buy a cheap sub (Dayton Sub1000) and connect it with my old AVR. This AVR is 5.1 but has not output for powered sub, it uses regular speaker wires to connect to a passive sub. There is also no crossover setting. I've tested it with a passive sub connected, the sub plays sound up to around 200 Hz. Either the AVR sends full spectrum to all channels or it has an internal crossover that can't be changed.

Given the Dayton has speaker level inputs, should I hook it up to the front L/R and connect the speakers to the sub, or is it better to leave the speakers alone and hook it up to the passive sub output (run wire from passive sub out to speaker level inputs on the sub)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
since your receiver has a dedicated sub output albeit passive, you should use that.

What receiver do you have? Maybe it is time for an upgrade?

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiplong View Post
I'm going to buy a cheap sub (Dayton Sub1000) and connect it with my old AVR. This AVR is 5.1 but has not output for powered sub, it uses regular speaker wires to connect to a passive sub. There is also no crossover setting. I've tested it with a passive sub connected, the sub plays sound up to around 200 Hz. Either the AVR sends full spectrum to all channels or it has an internal crossover that can't be changed.

Given the Dayton has speaker level inputs, should I hook it up to the front L/R and connect the speakers to the sub, or is it better to leave the speakers alone and hook it up to the passive sub output (run wire from passive sub out to speaker level inputs on the sub)?
Connect the AVR's L/R front speakers output to the Dayton Subwoofer L/R speaker inputs, next take the L/R output terminals from the Dayton Subwoofer and connect directly to your L/R front speakers. On the Dayton Subwoofer set the controls, x-over to 120Hz and gain to about 50%. Note that U may need to change the gain slightly either in the AVR and/or subwoofer to get the right level match with your other speakers.... Trial & error...

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page