Just experienced how much better sound gets with an external amp. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 2 Old 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just experienced how much better sound gets with an external amp.

So I heavily debated even buying an external amp, seems everyone says it’s only good to get louder. And that’s only if you buy a high power amp. Well I bought a used emotiva basx 700 and wow. So much better than I expected. The onkyo 830 I currently own which is not a cheap amp sounded fine. But at -10db always had some slight hiss on the speakers. I hook up the emotiva and now at +10 it’s crystal and I do mean crystal clear and dynamic. Feels like the channels are better separated and defined, more dynamic range. And just pure and simply cleaner sound. This is a below tier amp from emotiva and it made my sound system go from 7/10 to 9.5/10. I can nearly hit over 110db easily and even getups enough it was a little painful. So It gets much louder than needed but even at the lower volumes -15db or -10db it’s still better sounding and last night I just watched a few movies being impressed by the better sound. (Side note onkyo max volume with 5 or more channels powers was +6db, with the amp onkyo only handles 4 atmos speakers and max volume is now atleast +10db on the volume knob, I was afraid for my hearing to go louder. Guessing max power draw was lower, to allow more volume). But overall wanted to put it out there an amp may give you better sound quality not just power.

Equipment for those who might ask
Onkyo 830
Emotiva a-700 hooked up via rca pre outs
Titan 615lx front stage 99dba efficient
All surrounds are volt 10 v2. 95db efficient
Svs sb4000
Heights are... Bose cubes. Until I move I have to use these after that they will be volt 10 v2.
Xbox one s for movies and media.

Sorry if this was a little long winded just many videos and others on this forum advised an amp would do nothing to better my audio but it’s day and night at higher volumes and still evident at lower volumes. Maybe not much difference at -30 dB but above that I’d say it’s more than worth the price. I can’t imagine sound being better until I get better subs and I wanted to make sure anyone in my shoes gets the amp they want emotiva, outlaw really any reputable brand should make a great difference and another side note somehow emotiva stayed ice cold driving the main 7 speakers while the onkyo did only 4 heights and the onkyo was toasty while having a larger enclosure. Thought I would extend the life of the avr with an amp by reducing heat. But nope don’t expect that unless you gets a processor and full separates I guess.
altpensacola and junior00027 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Very neat, thanks for sharing.

I have the higher up Emotiva xpa-5 gen 3 and I’ve been pretty impressed with it. I’m hoping i can experience or should I say re experience what you just did all over again when i switch to a dedicated two channel amp (selling my Emotiva xpa-5 gen 3 here on this forum).

A random question: do you ever stream music via airplay 2 to your Onkyo? You talk about hitting really loud volumes, I was curious how high up on your iPhone or whatever phone you have does your volume slider go when it’s playing at that really loud volume you were describing in your post? 50%? 75%?

Just wondering because whenever I go over about half I feel like my system starts to feel like it’s running out of steam or something yet I’m pushing 312wpc with two channels drive or 200wpc wkrh 3 channels driven. Mainly feel like an imbalance or running out of steam when using stereo mode and pushing 312wpc, when my Dynaudio’s recommend up to 200wpc.

Do all your speakers have the same impedance? 6ohm? 8ohm?

Do it all or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page