• 1 Post By cocrh

post #1 of 11 Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Bedroom system opinions

Hi friends,

I'm looking to put together something fun, unique, and serviceable solution for my daughter's bedroom. She turns 15 in a few weeks and doesn't have anything way to listen to music in her room. She will mostly use bluetooth streaming from her phone and would like to get her a entry level turntable. I know she'll really like the look of the tube amp so I went with that option.

I was considering this system:

Monoprice 25 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194

Paired with:
Polk Audio T15 100 Watt Home Theater Bookshelf Speakers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RJLHB8/

OR

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Home Speaker Set
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41M...dp/B07FKH3VPV/

Audio-Technica AT-LP60X-RD Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NFRCM2D/

My questions really, is there a better system config to consider? Or is there something wrong with what I've selected here.

The watts on the speakers and the output of the amp. The amp being 25W and the speakers being rated much higher, will that present a problem?

What kind of cabling do I need (this seems overly confusing)?

Thanks!
Sage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
A better sounding speaker than either the T15 or Klipsch is the DCM T160 bookshelf. On sale for very good price on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...oAAOSwh0ldcRTR

Some AVS'ers thoughts on this speaker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58560910
post #3 of 11 Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh and your amp should be fine with any of the three speakers mentioned, but for a turntable you will need an integrated amplifier with a phone input. Don't think that monoprice has it. You might be better getting an inexpensive receiver instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Bedroom system opinions

I would get a simple stereo/5.1 AVR from a place like accessories4less, with more than just the one input, in case she wants to plug in a CD or BD player. One with a USB input would let her (or friends) plug in a flash drive or other device. You can probably find something with adequate power for the same price.

If you find one without bluetooth, a bluetooth receiver add-on can be added for lunch money. Of more interest would be wi-fi for Internet streaming, playing from a laptop (DLNA). But then again, a Chromecast or Fire TV stick can be added, too.

BTW that AT turntable has a built-in preamp so you don’t need an AVR with a phono-ready input. Says so right in the description.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-22-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

BTW that AT turntable has a built-in preamp so you don’t need an AVR with a phono-ready input. Says so right in the description.
Thanks, missed that little detail
post #6 of 11 Old 09-23-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the inputs! We really think she'll love the aesthetics (and maybe the sound) of the tube amp and there are some other models that offer additional inputs along with a USB. I'll look into those.

Can anyone recommend some cables for the AMP to the speakers? Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9QRGDC

Or do I not need the banana plugs and just the thumb screws and speaker cable?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-23-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those cables would work. Not necessary to use banana plugs. You could just get some 14guage wire and strip the ends and use the thumb screws.
PervySage likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I’m using these for bedroom speakers connected to an old iPhone with a music alarm app. I’m very happy with the sound.

Klipsch R-41PM Powered Bookshelf Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK48JW8..._O71JDbX5FYSAZ

Also using these speaker stands

VideoSecu 2 Heavy Duty PA DJ Club Adjustable Height Satellite Speaker Stand Mount - Extends 26.5" to 47" (i.e. Bose, Harmon Kardon, Polk, JBL, KEF, Klipsch, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer and Others) 1B7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRREPG..._Yd2JDb8PY637D
post #9 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKevinT View Post
I’m using these for bedroom speakers connected to an old iPhone with a music alarm app
How does this work ? I've never heard of this. Thanks.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
How does this work ? I've never heard of this. Thanks.

I’ve been using this app for years and it works great to have a playlist from your iPhone or Apple Music library, which I have set to shuffle. You can pick whatever song or music you want to wake up to. It can also be used to fall asleep to your music that will turn off after whatever time duration you set.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/alarm-...ro/id441922503

I’ve tried a bunch of music alarm apps and that’s by far the best and most reliable I’ve found for the last few years. There was another prior to that but they quit supporting it.

I had the iPhone plugged into a Bose Wave radio then recently bought the Klipsh powered speakers I posted previously. I always use an old iPhone for this because you have to keep it plugged in to the charger all night long with the app running. I have it plugged into an Apple charger stand that has the power cord and 3.5 mm audio output to run into the speaker. That’s the best setup I’ve found since iPhones lost the separate audio output.

I’ve tried doing this over Bluetooth to a HomePod but it looses connection overnight when it isn’t playing.

If you’ve never tried a music alarm playing your music, it’s so much better than radio music where you get woken to music you don’t like or even worse, commercials.

For the weekdays I have an alarm playlist with songs 3-5 minutes long, for the weekend I have another playlist with no limit in song length. That app lets you pick whatever playlist you want for each alarm setting that can be set to go off any time of any day, you can have as many as you want.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
this is always an interesting exercise for several criteria - cost, size, sound quality, simplicity...

being a young girl, would a boom-box / all-in-one be better? easy for her to move around, doesn't take a lot space...

there are many compact stereo bookshelf systems

the items you are considering puts you into the ~400-500 budget range...

BTW, the dayton audio hybrid is a little more feature rich ( 125)...

there are many, many small form factor amps with and w/o BT via ebay and amazon starting at ~ 30' and up, all digital and hybrid...

suggestions:

a beautiful, simple entry level receiver is the Cambridge Audi topaz AM5 - 100 (amazon) although no BT, but you can add a BT receiver ~30

the Sonos/Ikea symfonisk speaker - 99 (ikea) 2 can be paired - supports BT but better is streaming via the sonos app

on the other hand, networked receivers, either stereo or AVR start ~ 200 ( refurb) and provide more power and flexibility

as for speakers, I would recommend something with at least 5" woofer ...

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page