Denon x2600h vs s950h "X vs S" ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Denon x2600h vs s950h "X vs S" ?

Greeting AVS fam,

I'm having a hard time discerning the differences between these two receivers from the "X" line & the "S" line. (Other than the price... the x2600h is $799 vs $599 for the s950h). Can someone break down what is gained by jumping up to the X? The X has 5 watts per channel of power higher... but that is a relatively small diff.

I'm looking to upgrade my old Harman Kardon to a new mid-range Denon receiver. Only running 2.1 at the moment, but may go up to a max of 5.1. Will run quite a bit of HDMI through the receiver though (Xbox One, PS4, Nvidia Shield, Xfinity, etc) so video passthrough capability is important. I like the Denon "sound" for music... so that is why I have settled on these options for Denon receivers... but for my relatively basic use... wondering if there is anything gained by moving up to the X?

I appreciate any advice/opinions. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked: 12282
This information is provided in post 1 of the 2019 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 192
@Phattydeluxe you should move over to the cousin, maybe the older Marantz sr5012/5013 which are great for music with hdam circuits, 7.1 channel inputs for sacd and phono input. Also has audyssey xt like the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

@jdsmoothie - Perfect. Thank you for that link. Great breakdown of the models. So it seems the main diff is the x2600h adds the Audyssey MultiEQ XT and an additional year of warranty. Not sure the XT makes a difference though in my current 2.1 setup.

@eriksells916 - Good call. I'll check the Marantz. (Always sweated them) Very similar specs and in between these two Denon's in price... and it has the Audyssey XT.

I'm kind of sad none of these models have HDMI 2.1. I guess not until next year?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Phattydeluxe Yea I believe 2020 for Denons. But there is almost no content right now and you still have get a new 2.1 tv plus the cables, so your current purchase should not be obsolete for at least another year or so. LOL!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@Phattydeluxe Yea I believe 2020 for Denons. But there is almost no content right now and you still have get a new 2.1 tv plus the cables, so your current purchase should not be obsolete for at least another year or so. LOL!

LOL. Always fighting that losing obsolescence battle. Ya... also looking at new TV's as well. But maybe 2020 should be my year for it all. New models of receivers and TV's should come out around April right? That's not "too far" away. Maybe wait a bit and go HDMI 2.1 with 8K for a bit of future proofing. But I'm sure come April I'll find a reason to "wait" for some other feature. lulz
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Phattydeluxe you are not alone, there are a lot of posts here about...should I wait? I still run pre-hdmi Integra gear in my living room theater because every time I am about to pull the trigger on something, the next best thing comes out or I read about how bad the hdmi handshake is on xxx model. I was very excited when the new uhd dual hdmi out blu-ray players came out, so I jumped on one of those asap to keep the Integra going for at least 1 more year. I do love the new onkyo rz840 and Denon x3600, but think I will wait and save for the new 2.1 Denon x4600h, 8k tv and cables when they go on sale in 2020/2021?

Then I will be able to scoop up a high end 2019 model on sale for the kids gaming room!

Good luck!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@Phattydeluxe you are not alone, there are a lot of posts here about...should I wait? I still run pre-hdmi Integra gear in my living room theater because every time I am about to pull the trigger on something, the next best thing comes out or I read about how bad the hdmi handshake is on xxx model. I was very excited when the new uhd dual hdmi out blu-ray players came out, so I jumped on one of those asap to keep the Integra going for at least 1 more year. I do love the new onkyo rz840 and Denon x3600, but think I will wait and save for the new 2.1 Denon x4600h, 8k tv and cables when they go on sale in 2020/2021?

Then I will be able to scoop up a high end 2019 model on sale for the kids gaming room!

Good luck!
Sounds like a good strat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page