Receiver recommendation, budget-friendly - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Receiver recommendation, budget-friendly

I have a Denon AVR-2308CI on which the digital inputs (optical and coax) are dropping out intermittently, giving me the feeling one or more will eventually fail. The receiver isn't showing any other signs of failure (it actually sounds quite good) but digital audio is important because the TV and Blu-ray are 4k and the receiver is not, so I'm running HDMI directly to the TV and using digital audio for surround. I'm also running the TV's optical out to the receiver for cable TV.

Speakers are HTD Level 2 across the front, Optimus Pro-X55AV for surrounds (laugh if you must), and a Boston PV800 sub.

I'm on a tight budget, trying to stay close to $200, and 5.1 is fine as the room is small (13x13) and I've never used the two extra channels of the 2308CI. Refurbished is fine as long as it's a factory job and has a warranty.

At Accessories4Less I'm looking at the Denon AVR-S640H and the Yamaha RX-V483 as having similar price, power and features, but the scale tips one way or the other in the details. I'm more familiar with the Denon setup, but that's of minor importance unless the Yamaha's setup is less effective.

As an alternative, Best Buy has the Onkyo TX-SR393 on sale for $200. Its features are impressive for the price, but I'm a little wary of anyone's cheapest receiver.

Thanks in advance! Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by cpmusic; 10-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 193
@cpmusic if you can go up a few more $$ the s650 and v485 are better choices, more channels, features (hdmi 2.3 and phono input) on the Denon. But then for $20 more you can get the x1400/x1500 or s940 and have more power and better room correction?

Down the rabbit hole you go!
post #3 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Maybe save up a bit more and buy when/if your AVR stops working?
Have you double checked that the connections are clean and firmly connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Maybe save up a bit more and buy when/if your AVR stops working?
Those are good ideas; I mean that sincerely. The 2308 has 6 digital audio ports (3 optical, 3 coax) so I have some time to spare, and waiting would be better in the long run. Switching ports is a pain, but if waiting brings home a better receiver, it'll be worth it.

For what it's worth: Optical-2 didn't work when I started using digital audio, but when Optical-1 failed, suddenly Optical-2 worked. Optical-1 worked again later, and for the moment both are working. It doesn't seem to be the cable, and I don't know how or even if it's possible to clean optical ports.

The other day it was Coax-1 that failed. Those ports are easier to clean, and I didn't take the time for that as I wanted to finish the movie, so I just switched to Coax-2. I'll give them some attention and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited by cpmusic; 10-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@cpmusic if you can go up a few more $$ the s650 and v485 are better choices, more channels, features (hdmi 2.3 and phono input) on the Denon. But then for $20 more you can get the x1400/x1500 or s940 and have more power and better room correction?

Down the rabbit hole you go!
I've already been down that rabbit hole, and not just on receivers! It's all too easy to keep going for "just a little more." But the other suggestion to stick with this receiver for now and save some extra money makes sense. That s940 looks very nice....

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Accessories for Less has multiple Yamaha AVRs @ <$269..
Yamaha AVRs are #1 in reliability and the only brand that has HDMI/HDCP certification...
U just need to decide on features which are most important to U...

Just my $0.02...
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Yamaha AVRs are #1 in reliability
How do you know this ?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I cleaned the contacts, checked the cable and switched the cable back to Coax-1, and it's working now. I'm still a little concerned that it dropped out as it did, though. When it dropped out I backed up on the disc to see if the disc was the problem and it played through the drop-out spot perfectly, but then the sound dropped out again about five minutes later. It's similar to the way Optical 1 & 2 dropped out and came back. However, I'll sit tight for now.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
I cleaned the contacts, checked the cable and switched the cable back to Coax-1, and it's working now. I'm still a little concerned that it dropped out as it did, though. When it dropped out I backed up on the disc to see if the disc was the problem and it played through the drop-out spot perfectly, but then the sound dropped out again about five minutes later. It's similar to the way Optical 1 & 2 dropped out and came back. However, I'll sit tight for now.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Is the only digital source the TV or is it the same problem with multiple sources on the AVRs digital inputs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is the only digital source the TV or is it the same problem with multiple sources on the AVRs digital inputs?
Multiple sources: Vizio TV (optical), Arris cable box (optical), and Sony 4k player (coax). All are working at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page