Mono Multi-room speakers using stereo receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Mono Multi-room speakers using stereo receiver

Hello,

This type of speaker setup is brand new for me, so sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Is it possible to combine L and R stereo channels on a Sony str-dh740 to provide a single mono output?

The house we just moved into has a multi-room speaker setup. There are four rooms each with two speakers and a dial for each room's volume control. The speaker input, however, has only a single pair of pos/neg terminals (that's literally one pair - one pos, one neg - which drive ALL of the house speakers). I own a Sony str-dh740 and was able to get the speakers working by connecting one of the Front L/R speaker outputs to the house speaker input or the pos of one and neg of the other, but of course I am only able to hear either the L or R channel through each pair of speakers.

I'm trying to understand how I can run both the L and R channels into that single speaker input so I hear the combined L/R sound.

I looked through the manual, but didn't really find what anything that described how to do this. I've also read in various places that not all receivers can do this and I cannot find any kind of suitable adapter for sale.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Even if you could send a mono signal to those speakers from that unit, if the total ohm resistance is too much the receiver will burn up. Multi speaker house systems are basically PA, public address systems and require specific power amps. The speaker wires are probably narrow guage, which creates even more resistance.

Music, more music.

Last edited by altpensacola; 10-14-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page