Is On Screen Display over HDMI standard now? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is On Screen Display over HDMI standard now?

Is On Screen Display of volume and input info standard on all receivers now? My current receiver (Denon AVR-2809CI) is over 10 years old and does not display OSD volume over HDMI, it does display over composite but not HDMI. I would like to get a new low/mid end receiver for inside a tv console where I won't be able to see the display so on screen display is important to me over HDMI. Is this pretty much a standard feature now or have things not changed since I last purchased a receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam View Post
Is On Screen Display of volume and input info standard on all receivers now? My current receiver (Denon AVR-2809CI) is over 10 years old and does not display OSD volume over HDMI, it does display over composite but not HDMI. I would like to get a new low/mid end receiver for inside a tv console where I won't be able to see the display so on screen display is important to me over HDMI. Is this pretty much a standard feature now or have things not changed since I last purchased a receiver?
Yes...

Just my $0.02...
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
You'll have to check the individual receiver model specs. Some can do an OSD, but not while displaying 4k content.

However, an on screen volume display appears to have moved into lower end receivers than a couple of years ago. Example: I believe that a Denon AVR-X1400H (2017 model) won't do an OSD when displaying 4k. An AVR-X1500H (2018) will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Funny how this is playing out -- many consumer units (Marantz, Denon, etc) still have OSD. However, some brands have abandoned it in favor of network control. It will be interesting to see if OSD lives on. I like it, but my NAD unit doesn't have it, so I've learned to live without it.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The thing is to do it the receiver has to decode the video stream which requires a bunch of expensive and tedious certification to make sure it complies with HDCP copy protection. TVs have to decode the video anyway so in my case it will show CEC-based volume and input changes but my receiver is just a "dumb switch" which I think I prefer. This will probably happen all over again with full 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 since you will need a powerful video processor to even display 8k video and I think a lot of receivers won't bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors