AVS Forum banner

Protect Amps From Power Sags?

463 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mmiles 
#1 ·
I've done enough research into this to be dangerous, so I'd like to hear from others. I have my amps plugged into a Panamax, that shows voltage. That voltage sags repeatedly - likely due to neighborhood AC usage - to the point where my power amps shut down. It doesn't seem to be related to the load from my system, as I can show low voltage when the system is idle, and good voltage when the system is cranking.

My concern isn't surge protection - I've got that covered - but reliable voltage. I don't know if a big UPC is the answer, or a power conditioner is required. Ideas?

#2 ·
Assuming you live in a single family house then you are likely seeing drops in the voltage supplied by your electric utility. This voltage in your neighborhood should not have significant drops.

Your first step should be to complain to your local electric utility and any other appropriate parties. Document some of the voltage sags by time of day.

May I ask how low are the voltages dropping?

#6 ·
As a follow-up, the utility company was of no help, and advised I call an electrician. I elected to get a Furman power conditioner, because they advertised their ability to compensate for low voltage and deliver voltage within the appropriate range. I installed the unit and it worked as claimed, but it also showed the available voltage at 115V, instead of the 106V or 108V tha the Panamax was showing. I'm now wondering if the Panamax, which is at least 25 years old, was the culprit. In any event, the problem appears to be solved.

#8 ·
I use an APC power conditioner/UPS. If voltage drops it seamlessly goes to battery.

Issue is most likely circuit in your home though if it was dropping that low.

#9 ·
A regulated pwr supply should correct 105 (maybe 100) - 135 volts give or take.

When you get a “sag” do lights dim?

Turn off the breaker in the panel that provides power to your amp then make sure it is snug in box.

Check the outlet make sure all wire/lugs are tight. If you are comfortable doing it you can pop the breaker out of the panel and do the same. This should cover mechanical connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.