Turning to 3 channel from 2.0 setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Turning to 3 channel from 2.0 setup

Hello,

I have a 2.0 setup now
video source -> HDMI to my LG c9 TV -> optical out from C9 to T+A DAC8 -> Myryad Z142 amp -> Dynaudio DM 2/7 x 2

I want to be able to listen to the centre channel in my 3.0 channel SACD (recorded in the 50's and 60's), and enjoy the front channel of movies. The SACD will be played by either a blu-ray player, or from commercially available FLAC/DSD rips

I don't really care about the rear channels/sound position, I am only interested in faithful reproduction of the SACD.

I plan to buy a second hand Z142 and 2/7 speakers for consistency. I have no plan to upgrade the amp/speakers at the moment. Not planning to get the T+A DSD DAC 8 either (out of budget)

--

To add a third channel, I am thinking of 2 solution

1. Use some kind of magical audio splitter. Use the HDMI eARC from my LG c9 to connect to that magical splitter via HDMI. The splitter then output 1 optical link for left & right channel and a separate optical link for centre channel. I will get a DAC8 for the centre channel

Advantage: best compatible sound from current setup
Disadvantage: AFAIK this magic splitter does not exist. Timing / sync may also be an issue since I am outputting to 2 optical (even with identical setup).

2. Get an AV receiver of some sort. This should be the easiest. But I imagine my DAC8 and Myryad will be obsolete as the receiver will take over those functions. I imagine an AV receiver will have to be pretty pricey to match my DAC8. Also it is bulky and has too much feature I don't really need.

Is there an alternative way? What do you guys think? Thank you in advance for all the comments, cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 146
SACD wont go optical and dont think nr 1. exist.

2. An AVR/processor will cost a lot probably to get same performance. My marantz av 8805 isnt as good as my PS audio stellar GCD for 2 channel. (Personal opinion, i dont know which measures better)

You might be able to take the SACD multichannel analogue out from a SACD player and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2019, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
SACD wont go optical and dont think nr 1. exist.

2. An AVR/processor will cost a lot probably to get same performance. My marantz av 8805 isnt as good as my PS audio stellar GCD for 2 channel. (Personal opinion, i dont know which measures better)

You might be able to take the SACD multichannel analogue out from a SACD player and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank you Sir! I will give multi-channel SACD some thoughts. Seems like an easier solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page