Delay in receiver receiving ARC signal?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill-99
  • 1 Post By bigguyca
  • 1 Post By Bill-99

post #1 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Delay in receiver receiving ARC signal??

Hi all
newbie here so please excuse what could be a simplistic question.
I have just purchased a new OLED, LG B9. Very happy with it.
Have connected to my receiver (Onkyo TX-L50) via the ARC HDMI.
Problem is, there is quite a delay in the receiver "springing into life" when I power up the TV.
It must take a good 5 seconds or more for it to realise it needs to turn on, and when it does eventually fire up it is taking at least another 10 seconds or so for any sound to come through.
I've tried 2 or 3 different HDMI leads and have both the TV and the receiver switched to ARC but still the delay.
Is this common????
Many thanks
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smufter View Post
Hi all
newbie here so please excuse what could be a simplistic question.
I have just purchased a new OLED, LG B9. Very happy with it.
Have connected to my receiver (Onkyo TX-L50) via the ARC HDMI.
Problem is, there is quite a delay in the receiver "springing into life" when I power up the TV.
It must take a good 5 seconds or more for it to realise it needs to turn on, and when it does eventually fire up it is taking at least another 10 seconds or so for any sound to come through.
I've tried 2 or 3 different HDMI leads and have both the TV and the receiver switched to ARC but still the delay.
Is this common????
Many thanks
Rob
This sounds like a normal situation. When powering on an AVR and TV, each has its own startup time requirements, and after that there's still a handshake required to start passing audio down the audio return channel. It can take a little time.

In my home theater, TV audio is passed via HDMI ARC to an external processor. From power-on until sound is coming out the speakers is typically 10 to 15 seconds.
Smufter likes this.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
This sounds like a normal situation. When powering on an AVR and TV, each has its own startup time requirements, and after that there's still a handshake required to start passing audio down the audio return channel. It can take a little time.

In my home theater, TV audio is passed via HDMI ARC to an external processor. From power-on until sound is coming out the speakers is typically 10 to 15 seconds.
Many thanks for the response Bill. I guess I'll have to put up with it then, but good to know it's "normal".
Thanks again
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post

Matches my experience.
Bill-99 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-19-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smufter View Post
Many thanks for the response Bill. I guess I'll have to put up with it then, but good to know it's "normal".
Thanks again
Rob
So, looks like you now have two data points for comparison.

A couple more thoughts...

Some equipment is particularly slow at startup even after the device looks like it's powered on. A Sony 900E TV I have in an exercise room starts up slowly. Once picture and sound work, if I want to change channels or use the menu system right away, it can take about a minute (really) for Android OS to fire up and be usable. This isn't an Android issue per se. NVidia Shield is Android-based and extremely fast. It seems more likely to be related to how it was implemented in this particular set.

Cross device communication always seems to slow things down, too. More challenging are variations in how ARC/CEC are implemented in each device, which can result in chaotic and unpredictable device behavior. It should be interesting to see how this landscape is affected over the next few years with the roll-out of HDMI 2.1 and eARC in new products. Based on past history, my guess is early adopters will have a bumpy ride.
Smufter likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page