Help me before my head explodes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me before my head explodes

Trying to make this not too wordy, but here's what I'm looking at.

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. My current is a Pioneer VSX-1022-K, which still works perfectly fine. It's currently used mostly connected to my PS4 for content and outputs to my 1080p projector. For speakers I have Pioneer Andrew Jones center channel and 2 rear bookshelf speakers (also Pioneer Andrew Jones), Sony SS-F6000 Floorstanding 4-Way Speakers for front left and right, and Polk subwoofer, can't remember exact model on that.

Main reason I'm looking to upgrade my receiver is to graduate to 4k video capability. While my current setup with the slim PS4 doesn't output any 4k video, and my projector is only 1080p; I'm planning on getting a PS5 next year, and want to be able to use it for 4k content, and will also upgrade my projector at some point to 4k.

My main reason for upgrading the receiver now is a combination of some pretty good prices on receivers in the range I'm looking, and I also have a deal to get 12 months no interest on purchases $300+ that goes until October 27th.

I'm wanting to spend in the $300-400 range, though that's not set in stone, I'm willing to go above $400 if it's worth it. I have 4 I've looked at and like, and I have a couple I'm leaning toward, though I'm open to suggestions of others. The 4 in no particular order: Onkyo TX-RZ630, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104, Denon AVR-X1600H and Denon AVR-X2600H.

Power output between all of those is similar, and not a huge concern to me either way. All match or probably exceed my current receiver, which has worked fine for my setup. I enjoy a decent sound system, but I'm not an audiophile, so these should work. Differences in HDMI inputs/outputs also isn't a huge deal. All of them have more than I will probably use at one time for inputs, and two outputs would be nice, and might get used in the future if I had them; but won't be used now, and aren't a deal breaker either way. Things like 4K Upconversion that some of these have and some don't also aren't a huge deal to me.

Differences between these I'm interested in: The Onkyo and Pioneer have built-in Chromecast, which I would like to have, but isn't a complete deal breaker. Plus, I do have a Chromecast Audio if I really wanted that capability. The Onkyo is a little higher end one that has some really good deals right now. It supports 9 speakers, more than the 7 of the others, but that's not huge to me, since I don't plan on going above my current speaker level anytime soon. One big difference that the Onkyo doesn't have, that the others do, is Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization. As I'm not planning on buying any Dolby Atmos height speakers right now, or in the near future; this is a feature I'm interested in and would likely use. There are other differences, though those are the major ones.

Saying all that, I'm leaning towards one of the Denon receivers. They both have Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization; and while they don't have the Chromecast built-in; I think the other features are a bigger deal to me, and I have the Chromecast Audio I could use. So then my next question would be choosing between them. One question would be what is the opinion of people that have used the Height Virtualization? Is it worth it? The 2018 models of both of those receivers (1500H and 2500H) are available for even better prices then the current models, and as far as I can tell, the biggest difference is they don't have the Height Virtualization, so those are also an option.

Then there's choosing between the 1600H and 2600H, if that's the way I go. Again, as mentioned above, a lot of the step up features for the 2600; like 4K Upconversion and more HDMI inputs/outputs, aren't deal breakers, but also would be nice. I'm not sure what other areas the 2600H is a step up from the 1600H, so there's that question too. The biggest question with these might be price. I can get 1600H for $399, but for the 2600H to get close to the range I'm looking at requires me to go refurbished, where I can get one for $479. I'm not against going refurbished, and it is from an authorized Denon reseller, so there aren't any concerns there; but it is only a 1 year warranty versus 3 year on the new. Anyone with good/bad experiences with Denon refurbs? For my use case is it even worth it to step up to the 2600H?

Hope that wasn't too long. Comments or suggestions are appreciated, other receievers to look at or whatever. Thanks.

Last edited by corranjedi; 10-19-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Get the best denon you can get.

My answer is 7 words because it's simple. Denon, audyssey xt32...done.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by corranjedi View Post
Trying to make this not too wordy, but here's what I'm looking at.

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver. My current is a Pioneer VSX-1022-K, which still works perfectly fine. It's currently used mostly connected to my PS4 for content and outputs to my 1080p projector. For speakers I have Pioneer Andrew Jones center channel and 2 rear bookshelf speakers (also Pioneer Andrew Jones), Sony SS-F6000 Floorstanding 4-Way Speakers for front left and right, and Polk subwoofer, can't remember exact model on that.

Main reason I'm looking to upgrade my receiver is to graduate to 4k video capability. While my current setup with the slim PS4 doesn't output any 4k video, and my projector is only 1080p; I'm planning on getting a PS5 next year, and want to be able to use it for 4k content, and will also upgrade my projector at some point to 4k.

My main reason for upgrading the receiver now is a combination of some pretty good prices on receivers in the range I'm looking, and I also have a deal to get 12 months no interest on purchases $300+ that goes until October 27th.

I'm wanting to spend in the $300-400 range, though that's not set in stone, I'm willing to go above $400 if it's worth it. I have 4 I've looked at and like, and I have a couple I'm leaning toward, though I'm open to suggestions of others. The 4 in no particular order: Onkyo TX-RZ630, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104, Denon AVR-X1600H and Denon AVR-X2600H.

Power output between all of those is similar, and not a huge concern to me either way. All match or probably exceed my current receiver, which has worked fine for my setup. I enjoy a decent sound system, but I'm not an audiophile, so these should work. Differences in HDMI inputs/outputs also isn't a huge deal. All of them have more than I will probably use at one time for inputs, and two outputs would be nice, and might get used in the future if I had them; but won't be used now, and aren't a deal breaker either way. Things like 4K Upconversion that some of these have and some don't also aren't a huge deal to me.

Differences between these I'm interested in: The Onkyo and Pioneer have built-in Chromecast, which I would like to have, but isn't a complete deal breaker. Plus, I do have a Chromecast Audio if I really wanted that capability. The Onkyo is a little higher end one that has some really good deals right now. It supports 9 speakers, more than the 7 of the others, but that's not huge to me, since I don't plan on going above my current speaker level anytime soon. One big difference that the Onkyo doesn't have, that the others do, is Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization. As I'm not planning on buying any Dolby Atmos height speakers right now, or in the near future; this is a feature I'm interested in and would likely use. There are other differences, though those are the major ones.

Saying all that, I'm leaning towards one of the Denon receivers. They both have Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization; and while they don't have the Chromecast built-in; I think the other features are a bigger deal to me, and I have the Chromecast Audio I could use. So then my next question would be choosing between them. One question would be what is the opinion of people that have used the Height Virtualization? Is it worth it? The 2018 models of both of those receivers (1500H and 2500H) are available for even better prices then the current models, and as far as I can tell, the biggest difference is they don't have the Height Virtualization, so those are also an option.

Then there's choosing between the 1600H and 2600H, if that's the way I go. Again, as mentioned above, a lot of the step up features for the 2600; like 4K Upconversion and more HDMI inputs/outputs, aren't deal breakers, but also would be nice. I'm not sure what other areas the 2600H is a step up from the 1600H, so there's that question too. The biggest question with these might be price. I can get 1600H for $399, but for the 2600H to get close to the range I'm looking at requires me to go refurbished, where I can get one for $479. I'm not against going refurbished, and it is from an authorized Denon reseller, so there aren't any concerns there; but it is only a 1 year warranty versus 3 year on the new. Anyone with good/bad experiences with Denon refurbs? For my use case is it even worth it to step up to the 2600H?

Hope that wasn't too long. Comments or suggestions are appreciated, other receievers to look at or whatever. Thanks.
My two cents:
I had in the last three years:
1) Onkyo 646
2) Yamaha 681
3) Denon 4300H
4) Onkyo RZ840.

The Yamaha and the Denon simple couldnt match the sound I liked from the Onkyo. XT32: if you disable it, Denon sucks.

Please, dont continue reading if someone start comparing the Onkyo referring to HDMI issues.
I read a couple of guys who returned the Onkyo because they couldnt find how to enable HDMI Enhanced on their receivers blaming the HDMI board.

Regarding the GUI and bell's and whistles, Yamaha wins every time.
Regarding personal customization settings, options: Denon wins by huge miles, for instance, I really miss being able to set the speaker levels for every input, and the Denon rememers every setting on every source. But, really, I want a good sound from a receiver, no a good sound only resting on Audyssey XT32 to achieve good sound.
Regarding sound: Finally I could grab my hands again on an Onkyo . I really wish the Onkyo has the same customization level available on the Denon though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Get the best denon you can get.

My answer is 7 words because it's simple. Denon, audyssey xt32...done.
It may be hard to get such an AVR for $400 new, but I see refurbs (accessories4less) for less than $500.

The lowest-end Denon AVRs with XT32 are the X3400H (2017), the X3500H (2018), and X3600H (2019). The 3400 and 3500 are 7.2 channel models; the 3600 processes 11 channels, has 9 onboard amps, and can do 7.2.4 Atmos by adding an external 2 channel amp. The 3600, feature wise, resembles a 4400 or 4500 more closely that the 3400 or 3500.

The lowest-end Marantz models with XT32, the SR6012 and SR6013, are more expensive yet. (They process 11 channels but have 9 onboard amps.)
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2019, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is an open box X3500H for $549. It's from Authorized Reseller and includes full warranty.

The only feature difference I can in X2600H favor is the Atmos Height Virtualization. While I would like to have that, is the Audyssey XT32 something that would make a more noticable difference in sound quality?

I was starting to lean toward the X2600H, but I might be willing to go up another $80 to get the Audyssey XT32. I would also get full 3-year warranty instead of 1-year refurb warranty.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This might be bad timing for you but since you are a gamer it might be worth waiting until next year and the HDMI 2.1 models would be more expensive probably to get new model but you should check what HDMI 2.1 is about before deciding either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page