Do receivvers not do hdr10 + passthrough? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do receivvers not do hdr10 + passthrough?

A receiver that is capable of doing dolby vision passthrough, should it not be able to technically handle hdr10+ as well? My onkyo avr, a couple of years older model, received a firmware update some months back to support dynamic metadata passthrough, i assumed that this means it can passthrough DV and hdr10+. DV works just fine, but today i tried my first hdr10+ uhd blu ray (alita) and I get a blank screen when outputting the movie in hdr10+ (blu ray player hooked to receiver).
So will i have to hope the receiver manufacturer puts out another firmware update to support hdr10+ passthrough? Do current AVR's/2019 models of the major brands support hdr10+ passthrough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-21-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
As far as I know, no receivers currently on the market do HDR10+ passthrough. And no firmware updates have been promised to add support.

Worse, no announced future models are claimed to support it, out of the box or with a future update.

Surprising. I would have expected Samsung's influence to be broad enough that HDR10+ support in AVRs would be common. My technical understanding is far too weak for me to guess whether it's harder to add HDR10+ than Dolby Vision or HLG.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-22-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 490
What display do you have? Remember that Sony, LG, etc, etc do not support HDR10+. In the US, it's pretty much only Samsung displays.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page