Musical 5.1 receiver/processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Musical 5.1 receiver/processor

Hello,

I recently upgraded the speakers and amplifier of my system, and am now looking to upgrade to a newer receiver/surround sound processor. I'm looking at something that sounds good with music either 2.0 or 2.1 primarily, with good room correction and bass management capabilities, and at least 5.1 (maybe 7.1) movies secondary (but watching TV/movies is the most common usage). My space is small, so I very much doubt needing more channels than that -- if I move, I'm okay with revisiting. It's also not a very ideal space, so that's why I'd like to have the ability to experiment with room correction and bass management. I primarily listen to EDM.

I've got a decent separate amplifier, so either a surround processor or receiver with reasonable output level pre-outs is probably what I'm lookin for. Budget is preferably about $3k USD or $4k CAD or less, but that's somewhat flexible.

It needs to at least handle 4k/HDR, ideally with 6-8 HDMI inputs, and 1-3 other audio inputs and, as mentioned above, 5-7 pre-outs (+1/2 sub). It has a hard height limit of 7 3/4". Ideally a reasonable OSD, and able to be controlled from a phone/tablet, but those are negotiable. I also would like it to be generally up to date with current format handling, realizing that with 5 channels (or 7 channels in the future), that maybe doesn't matter too much.

Other desirable features that aren't showstoppers if missing:
- Being able to Google Cast, Airplay, Bluetooth stream
- High quality onboard DAC
- Component video to HDMI conversion
- Independent selection of video and audio inputs
- Trigger out to activate my amplifier and subwoofer
- Easy way to boost dialogue or drop bass volume for late night watching
- Roon Ready

It will be paired with the following gear:
- B&W 803 D3 fronts
- B&W 704 S2 rears
- B&W HTM71 S2 centre
- B&W DB1D sub
- Classe Sigma Amp5

I've had Denon, Arcam, and Yamaha before. I really didn't like the sound of the Denon, and I had reliability issues with the Arcam, so I'm lukewarm on both of those brands. I've really loved the sound of an older Naim system I have in another room. I've heard pretty damning things regarding the HDMI connections on Rotel, so I'm not too in favour of that.

Things on my radar (but looking for any other suggestions):
- Anthem MRX 520/720/1120 or AVM60
- NAD T 777 v3, T 778, T 758 v3
- Emotiva RMC-1L, XMC-2
- Monoprice HTP-1
- Arcam AVR10, AV40

Also: Is there any real benefit from going from something the the MRX720 to the AVM60, or AVR10 up to AV40? Often it seems like the receiver is cheaper than the processor without amplification without any real difference in features, so it's unclear to me if there's real value sonically.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
In your case I'd be looking at the Marantz SR line, the Anthem MRXs, and NAD as you already listed those. Or, the Marantz AV line of pre/pro and then get a five channel amp to adequately power the B&Ws.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
In your case I'd be looking at the Marantz SR line, the Anthem MRXs, and NAD as you already listed those. Or, the Marantz AV line of pre/pro and then get a five channel amp to adequately power the B&Ws.

Would you consider NAD to be bright compared to Anthem or Marantz? Or put differently, how would you compare the sound signatures of the three brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Marantz.

Music, more music.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrieze01 View Post
Would you consider NAD to be bright compared to Anthem or Marantz? Or put differently, how would you compare the sound signatures of the three brands?

I'm very curious to the answer to this as well.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@thebrieze01 @farmanz If i remember correctly, (can't find the review now) the Anthem is similar to Yamaha, with a nice clean sound (more mid and highs) while the marantz and nad are more similar in that they have warmer mids and highs.

I don't want to water down your beautiful setup, but a yamaha rx-a880 or denon x3500 will probably be more reliable, have more features than most of those prepro/avrs you listed above and be 1/3rd the price. They have full preouts and I know you didn't like the sound of them before, but maybe sell your current amp and get some 200w monoblock amps from emotiva, monolith, outlaw or d-sonic and your 803d's might sing?

I own nothing high end so just my $.02!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@thebrieze01 @farmanz If i remember correctly, (can't find the review now) the Anthem is similar to Yamaha, with a nice clean sound (more mid and highs) while the marantz and nad are more similar in that they have warmer mids and highs.

I don't want to water down your beautiful setup, but a yamaha rx-a880 or denon x3500 will probably be more reliable, have more features than most of those prepro/avrs you listed above and be 1/3rd the price. They have full preouts and I know you didn't like the sound of them before, but maybe sell your current amp and get some 200w monoblock amps from emotiva, monolith, outlaw or d-sonic and your 803d's might sing?

I own nothing high end so just my $.02!
The Yamaha I have now (RX-A850) doesn't have very good room correction, and also has a low pre-out voltage. At this time I don't believe that the Classe amp (5x200W) and should double down to 400W at 4 ohms for stereo is the limiting component in the system.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@farmanz I don't own one but the x3500 (7 channels) should have better voltage and it has the best room correction audyssey has with xt32. Some love it, otherwise you would need to go to dirac live (NAD, Arcam) and then next would be arc correction from anthem. I think the nad now has a module for calibrating dual subs.

No, that classe amp is excellent
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 297
the Outlaw 976 ticks most of the boxes on your list. But not all, but price-wise seems hard to beat

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

As a follow up, I've decided after a few in-home auditions to get an Anthem MRX-720 and a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400.

The Anthem (feeding my Classe) sounded a lot better than my Yamaha, and I loved how it sounded when I pulled the speakers out into a better placement. Back against the wall where I want them to live most of the time, ARC didn't do a great job in correcting things.

Enter the Lyngdorf. I haven't yet received it but I auditioned the TDAI-2170 and with a minimal amount of tuning of RoomPerfect and the speakers back against the wall, and everything just came alive. Words really can't express how much of a night and day difference the speakers sound with RoomPerfect on (mainly in Focus mode) and off. So I'm going to get that and run it in HT bypass from the Anthem for surround/movies. I haven't bothered experimenting with 2.1 setup, nor seeing what things sound like with better speaker placement, but I'll do that when I get the 3400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page