Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #271 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
The CI Protocol suggest heights are not supported currently. It also suggests that channels 15 & 16 can be centre top speakers or VOG/Centre Height and that you cannot have VOG on its own.

Existing owners, can you confirm if this info is correct?
This 9.1.6 is the config I have wired for. It should support this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post
This 9.1.6 is the config I have wired for. It should support this right?
Yes, that is a common config and will work with any of the 16 prepros on the market.
post #273 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Updated the firmware. Had issue with DIRAC Live! Tried both Windows and Mac versions. Both of them discover the Arcam av-40, but unable to connect. Please see attached pictures that show the time-out issue. Anything else I should try? I tried both wired and wireless on the laptops. Not sure how to connect the AV-40 wireless. It is wired now. Haven't tried all options with latest FW update and unsure if it provides a way to wirelessly connect the AV-40.
Thanks,
Jai
You need to setup an account with Dirac and be signed in for it to connect.

Music System, NAD C658, Arcam P1 Monoblocks, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, LG OLED65C9, Panasonic UB820, Marantz 8802A, Krell S-1500 7 Channel, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was signed into the DIrac portal
post #275 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 193
It's been stated many times that Dirac is not yet active on these AVR's & a firmware update will be required to activate it.
BigCoolJesus and SteveC356 like this.
post #276 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked: 1868
From what I understand/was told, Best Buy (Magnolia) was allocated pretty much all of the first available/first shipped units and dealers will have stock come the new year (at least here in the States). Which I get from a sales perspective (especially with the holiday coming up)...but BB/Magnolia isn't who I'd want as my point place for communication of the current issues regarding waiting for Dirac and the FW release to its customers.
post #277 of 657 Old 12-10-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Would any of the Av40 owners be willing to set up an AV40 thread as this seems a bit broad but currently focused on the AV40 which has my interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Parasound Halo A31, ATI AT528nc. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #278 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Would any of the Av40 owners be willing to set up an AV40 thread as this seems a bit broad but currently focused on the AV40 which has my interest?

I'd think an AVR10/20/30 AV40 thread would make most sense.
daviscindy, farkem and SteveC356 like this.
post #279 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my new AV40 yesterday. Very good results so far: it has resolved some picture issues and the sound is a significant improvement on what I had before (oppo).

As others have said, these early units have buggy software. I was losing sound and a few other quirks. Upgrading to 0.82 helped. Warning to those doing this: don’t try updating online - use the usb as recommended by Arcam in the product area download on their website. The online update is absolutely chronic: it took a couple of hours and still didn’t upgrade all the modules. Irritatingly, the update (even on USB) insists on the user doing a factory reset so all settings have to be fed back in. Lazy programming! Why can’t they just write the settings to an XML file?

Next I need to get this properly controlled by my Logitech Harmony remote. I see there is a list of IR commands available from Arcam’s website: can anyone offer hints on how to get these into the Harmony? I can make it learn from the Arcam remote but I need discrete on and off, which aren’t on the su-plied control.
post #280 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann O'Neamus View Post
Got my new AV40 yesterday. Very good results so far: it has resolved some picture issues and the sound is a significant improvement on what I had before (oppo).

As others have said, these early units have buggy software. I was losing sound and a few other quirks. Upgrading to 0.82 helped. Warning to those doing this: don’t try updating online - use the usb as recommended by Arcam in the product area download on their website. The online update is absolutely chronic: it took a couple of hours and still didn’t upgrade all the modules. Irritatingly, the update (even on USB) insists on the user doing a factory reset so all settings have to be fed back in. Lazy programming! Why can’t they just write the settings to an XML file?

Next I need to get this properly controlled by my Logitech Harmony remote. I see there is a list of IR commands available from Arcam’s website: can anyone offer hints on how to get these into the Harmony? I can make it learn from the Arcam remote but I need discrete on and off, which aren’t on the su-plied control.
Congrats! Please share what type of bugs you encountered.
Thanks,
Jai
post #281 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks, Since some of you have asked where I got it from, it is from SteveH here in the forum. I have been his customer for some years now and the first time he told me about this, I said yes, and that is how I got it first. He has more units coming, so if you are interested please contact him. For folks who already have an AV40, please post your bug list so it helps future buyers. I would still say this is one of the best sounding units I have heard even without Dirac Live.
post #282 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is my bug/feature gap list.

1. Dirac Live does not work. AV40 is connected by ethernet, has a valid IP address in the subnet. Macbook/Windows client with Dirac Live SW in the same subnet. Macbook/Windows client can ping to the AV40 IP. Device discovery works, where AV40 is found but connection to the device times out.

2. 13 channels not supported. My setup is wired and speakers setup for https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html Dolby 9.1.6 Atmos. That is 13 channels. The AV40 allows only configuration for 11 channels. There is no option in speaker config to setup "Left and Right top middle overhead speakers". Assignable channels 13, 14 and 15, 16 have only none and front/rear subs. Nothing for top middle overhead speakers.

3. No sign of Roon core in the AV40. I want to stream Tidal MQA. Casting using google home app will not give the fidelity.

4. No audio when projector connected to HDMI1 output. Audio works when projector is on, there is no audio when projector is turned off. This is undesirable as projector need not be on for listening to music.

5. No way to map HDMI audio to an input. Players like the Oppo UDP-203 provide a dedicated HDMI audio. This is preferred by a lot of folks. I want to be able to use for example the BD input for HDMI video and say the "AUX" input for the HDMI audio and be able to choose BD in the remote. I think the Marantz allows this type of mappping. Is there a way to do this?

6. Static or click when changing tracks. Happens every time. Heard thuds sometimes when a chapter is started in Roku.

7. DSD sources played in 2ch stereo mode, creates a leak in the surround channels. Heard as constant clicking with static. This may have been fixed in the latest FW update. Need to verify

8. Volume display in negative dB, 0 being reference. Is this supported?

9. Lip synch default setting is way off. I had to fiddle with it a bunch of times to get it right. What exactly does -:xdB mean? It allows only left arrow changes, not right arrow to increase.

10. OSD is very rudimentary. Menu should be displayed. Is the intent to use an Anroid/iPhone app?

11. Wifi connectivity does not exist. No instructions on how to set this up. Says use google home, didn't find a way to do it. Is it supported?

I found a workaround for 4.

Anyone else who has tried some of the above, please post your findings.
Thanks,
Jai
post #283 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The unit supports DSD, contrary to the first post here.

Roon core in Windows machine discovers the Av40 as end point, shows as uncertified.
post #284 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I am ok with this idea.
post #285 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is not an owners thread but an announcement thread. One of the owners should start one. Based on the similarity of the 10/20/30/40 I'd think it's appropriate to keep them all together but it's up to the owners and the moderators, ultimately.
post #286 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
This is not an owners thread but an announcement thread. One of the owners should start one. Based on the similarity of the 10/20/30/40 I'd think it's appropriate to keep them all together but it's up to the owners and the moderators, ultimately.
Ok. I can do that. Any protocol to follow. Is there a standard template that I can use?
post #287 of 657 Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Quoted: 4093 Post(s)
Liked: 5129
I have been following AV Forums New Arcam Receivers thread and today somebody posted this:

I have just been informed by Arcam that I am not supposed to be in possession of my AV40, Arcam has been taken by complete surprise that dealers are selling their demo units (the software is not release ready) which lines up with what dealers in the US are saying. The units will not be available for general release for a few more weeks yet, Dirac and Auro will be coming around the end of January 2020. In my retailers defence, they have been very supportive, great customer service and I believe they were not informed by Arcam not to sell their stock. I did get a good discount, but no caveat was put around that, I will be returning the unit and will go back to Yamaha which I have used for years without issue, this will likely by my last post on this particular subject, but I will keep watching with great interest.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...#post-27610938

This statement lines up with I was told by my local Best Buy/Magnolia and by another local Arcam dealer here in Houston. Both of them have stock but they don't have green light yet from Arcam to sell the products as they are not ready to the public.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #288 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. I can do that. Any protocol to follow. Is there a standard template that I can use?
Based on the AVM 60 thread (Google search 'The Official AVM 60 thread') there is precedent to create an AV40 only owners thread, but the 10/20/30/40 are so darn similar from a software and feature standpoint I'd keep them together. There is really no standard for setting up the thread. Some people copy and paste the specs with press photos of the front and rear of the unit but as AVS' first owner I'd say it's up to you. Put in as much or little effort as you want. As a potential owner I'll follow.
post #289 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Here is my bug/feature gap list.
I hope you have sent these to Arcam support so they will go in the hopper for the development team.

Quote:
9. Lip synch default setting is way off. I had to fiddle with it a bunch of times to get it right. What exactly does -:xdB mean? It allows only left arrow changes, not right arrow to increase.
Yes, I had this too. With Apple TV 4K as source, Netflix wasn't too bad but Amazon Prime needed +100.

We have output to a JVC DILA projector which blanks for 15 sec or so every time the source resolution changes (apparently it is checking all possible resolutions before deciding to give an image). Connected to the new Arcam this seems to be much longer -- more like 45 seconds.

Also when returning from a UHD/HDR programme in Netflix to the main Apple TV menu (set to SDR) I get a blue screen for ages, then a black screen for ages, then repeated. Hitting the menu key on the Apple TV repeatedly got me an image back. I have not worked out what is going on here.
post #290 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope you have sent these to Arcam support so they will go in the hopper for the development team.

Yes, I had this too. With Apple TV 4K as source, Netflix wasn't too bad but Amazon Prime needed +100.

We have output to a JVC DILA projector which blanks for 15 sec or so every time the source resolution changes (apparently it is checking all possible resolutions before deciding to give an image). Connected to the new Arcam this seems to be much longer -- more like 45 seconds.

Also when returning from a UHD/HDR programme in Netflix to the main Apple TV menu (set to SDR) I get a blue screen for ages, then a black screen for ages, then repeated. Hitting the menu key on the Apple TV repeatedly got me an image back. I have not worked out what is going on here.
Yes, Arcam already has this list. Regarding the HDMI switching issue, you may want to try output 2 which does not have eARC. I am not sure if the HDCP handshake takes longer with eARC.
post #291 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Just curious, what would be the difference between that thread and this already existing one? Is there any information regarding AVR10/20/30 & AV40 that could not be discussed in this already existing thread?

To me it does not seem a good idea to have two parallel threads on the same topic. Better to keep all the info in a single thread.
post #292 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Just curious, what would be the difference between that thread and this already existing one? Is there any information regarding AVR10/20/30 & AV40 that could not be discussed in this already existing thread?

To me it does not seem a good idea to have two parallel threads on the same topic. Better to keep all the info in a single thread.
Because you referenced the amps, which are OT, and it's clearly an anticipation thread. I'm not a mod so you, Jai, or anyone else is free do do as you please but imo we're better off with a fresh post given all the rubbish in here about features not working on units that shouldn't have found their way to customers in the first place. The only valuable information in here at this point is Jai's list of issues, most of which should be corrected in the next firmware update.

If you want to keep this thread at least change the title to 'AVR10/20/30 AV40 Owners Thread. If another thread is created we can send this one out to pasture

Last edited by Magnus_CA; 12-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #293 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Because you referenced the amps, which are OT, and it's clearly an anticipation thread.

To clarify: The intention when I started this thread was not that it should be just an announcement thread.

The intention is instead that it should be the official thread for discussing information about the Arcam HDA lineup and user/owner experiences for those products. So far this thread has been used by the forum users exactly as intended from what I can tell, without any apparent problems. So to fork out new threads or restart discussions from scratch in other threads on the same topic does not seems like a good idea to me.

If you look at other official threads for product lineups on this forum, some have tagged the thread title "Official", some "Owners", and some nothing at all (like this one). But in the end it is just a tag, and the important thing is what's being discussed in the thread. If it would make you happy, we can ask the mods if they can add an "Official" tag to the thread title? But several other threads that in fact are the official thread for a product lineup does not have such a tag, so I don't know what the huge benefit of adding it would be.

Then regarding what products to cover in the thread, I think it makes sense to keep AVR10/20/30 & AV40 in the same thread, since they are very similar products. I also think it makes sense to include the PA products, since they also belong to the same Arcam HDA lineup. In addition, my guesstimate is that 80-90% of the posts will still be about the AVRs anyhow, so the posts about the PA products will not disturb much. If the PA products are in a separate thread, I think it will likely be forgotten about due to very little posting, and that thread will then be in "hibernation" soon.

Remember that the Arcam HDA lineup is a high-end product range, that usually has much less users and thus posts than e.g. the mid-range Marantz or Denon lineups. So e.g. for the Denon/Marantz mid-range products, I can perhaps see need to split up a product range into some separate threads, but not for the Arcam HDA lineup. The risk of splitting up a thread is that each thread will receive much less attention, and eventually they will go into hibernation. Plus if you're interested in several products in the Arcam HDA range, you'll have to monitor multiple threads to keep up with the info about the product range.

So weighing the pros/cons together, I think it makes sense to keep the HDA range in a common thread. It's not like the number of posts so far has been overwhelming enough to cause any problems from what I can tell.

Quote:
The only valuable information in here at this point is Jai's list of issues, most of which should be corrected in the next firmware update.
Then you clearly have not been following the thread very closely. If you read the posts from the forum users in it, you'll find information about what features the AVRs have, user experiences, discussions about what product combinations could work well together, information from official Arcam and Dirac representatives about the Dirac Live Bass Management Tier options, functionality & pricing & expected release dates of those options, links to pre-review of the AVRs, user listening experiences, pictures of the products and their OLED display & OSD, etc. So I don't see why you think it would be a good idea to delete all those forum user's posts?

Sure there may be some posts that contain less valuable or incorrect information (that later have been sorted out in the thread). But all threads have some such posts too whether we like it or not. It's not like we restart all official threads from scratch each time there is a new firmware update available for a product just because some bugs that previously have been mentioned in the thread are no longer applicable!

Last edited by Fjodor2000; 12-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #294 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'd love to see a shootout between the Arcam AV40 and JBL Synthesis SDP-55. Is the JBL worth the extra $$?
post #295 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Quoted: 4093 Post(s)
Liked: 5129
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
I'd love to see a shootout between the Arcam AV40 and JBL Synthesis SDP-55. Is the JBL worth the extra $$?
As far I can tell there only three things that are different between the AV40 and the SDP-55, if we don't count the front panel which on the JBL looks very nice compared to the Arcam.

1.- DAC: AV40 has ESS9026 Pro and SDP-55 has ESS9028 Pro.

2.- Dante: AV40 No Dante and SDP-55 does Dante.

3.- Logic16: AV40 no Logic16 and SDP-55 does Logic16.

Also, JBL is advertising HDR10+ support on the SDP-55 but Arcam doesn't say anything about HDR10+ support. AURO 3D is already confirmed on the AV40/AVR20/AVR30/AVR10. Dirac Bass Management module looks like will be included for free on the SDP-55 (higher tie) and on the Arcam only the single sub will be free and the others with an upgrade fee.

I'm not expecting any audible difference between the two to be honest, at least not enough to justify a $1.5K price difference.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #296 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Regarding the HDMI switching issue, you may want to try output 2 which does not have eARC. I am not sure if the HDCP handshake takes longer with eARC.
That’s a good idea. However when I tried it, it seems to force the projector into HDR mode (lamp burning brighter, noisy fan on) even though the appletv was sending SDR content. Is that expected behaviour or another bug?
post #297 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Also, JBL is advertising HDR10+ support on the SDP-55 but Arcam doesn't say anything about HDR10+ support.
This strikes me as a big deal. I'm hoping its a simple omission....
post #298 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5708 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
So if you hit the "Menu" button there is no large overlay on your screen? It only shows on the front of the processor? I go into the menus wayyy to often to not be able to see all the settings I need on a regular basis.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #299 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So if you hit the "Menu" button there is no large overlay on your screen? It only shows on the front of the processor? I go into the menus wayyy to often to not be able to see all the settings I need on a regular basis.
Yes, the OSD is very primitive. Like something from the 2000s. However the device does seem to expose most of the settings through a web page on its IP address (which has no security, sadly, so this device belongs in a separate VLAN from any valuable data). You have to go through a couple of simple screens of setup then it takes you to a full menu system which duplicates the menus in the system.
post #300 of 657 Old 12-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, the OSD is very primitive. Like something from the 2000s. However the device does seem to expose most of the settings through a web page on its IP address (which has no security, sadly, so this device belongs in a separate VLAN from any valuable data). You have to go through a couple of simple screens of setup then it takes you to a full menu system which duplicates the menus in the system.
Could you post some screenshots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2019 , Arcam , avr , models

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page