Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #31 of 274 Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Will they support DSD?
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 274 Old 11-02-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Audyssey XT32 first sets the sub delay for each sub (max 2 subs) so they play in phase.

My point was that I don't believe Audyssey then phase-matches the subs with the mains.

Noah
post #33 of 274 Old 11-03-2019, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
To get these questions answered, I contacted the Arcam support. In my opinion, the answers were very positive and professionally stated.

In short the answers were:

* Arcam has made every possible effort to make the AVRs upgradable to HDMI 2.1. This includes making the HDMI board easier to remove. Arcam has also done all that they can to ensure an upgrade will be possible should compatible hardware arrive in a timely fashion. But since a HDMI 2.1 certification process does not currently exist, nobody can know for sure. This applies to all AVRs manufacturers, and not just Arcam, despite any claims other manufacturers make of already being HDMI 2.1 compatible.

* The new AVRs do support different crossovers per speaker pair.

For the full answer from Arcam, see quote below:
I am wondering if the bass management will be enhanced like the old Lexicons. With my old MC12 it was possible to configure separate subwoofer outputs AND a LFE output. The big advantage of this is that you have the ability to control the LFE separate from the redirected bass, even if you connect them to the same sub. This way you can optimize the redirected bass to integrate with the rest of the speakers volume wise, and tune the LFE channel to your liking.

All the newer generation processors can't control the LFE from the redirected bass. Exception is the Trinnov.

Last edited by Teejoo; 11-03-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 274 Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does anyone know what the difference would be between the Lexicon RV-9 and Arcam AVR30?

More generally, how do Lexicon and Arcam compare now that they're both owned by Harman?
post #35 of 274 Old 11-04-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Seems these have been released in the US with a show stopping bug in the firmware, the UK release has been delayed because of this.

Apparently they are having to re-write the entire firmware from scratch to resolve the issue.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...2248472/page-2

So the previous FMJ generation still has bugs in the firmware that Arcam is aware of but has not fixed over eight months after being reported & confirm by Arcam themselves.

Add to this the new line also has been released with bugs in the firmware.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #36 of 274 Old 11-04-2019, 03:48 PM
PCW

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Auditioned the Arcam HDA 20 and 30 Today

I received a call from my Magnolia salesman at the Northern Virginia Magnolia Design Center who informed me that they had the new lineup of Arcam HDA receivers in place for listening and comparing. I couldn't wait to go there! First, I want to say that the appearance of the new receivers are awesome and look totally updated compared to the FMJ series. The display window is larger and they look much more contemporary. So I listened to music first: The Eagles Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over live concert DVD in DTS audio (which I brought along), and then a couple of movie clips from the Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Ultra 4K Blu-ray disk. They were switched thru the B&W 702S2s that I own so I had a real comparison of the two new HDA AVRs as they would sound in my room. I was totally impressed with the quality of the sound from both the 20 and 30 series! I did not listen to the 10. And since I use my AVR for 98% movies and TV watching the 20 is my target AVR. I realized that the additional $2000 for the 30 would be better used towards part of the purchase of a new OLED TV which I am also looking for. So anyone in the metro Washington, DC area can audition these at the Fair Lakes Best Buy/Magnolia store.
Fjodor2000 likes this.
post #37 of 274 Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Seems these have been released in the US with a show stopping bug in the firmware, the UK release has been delayed because of this.

Apparently they are having to re-write the entire firmware from scratch to resolve the issue.

So the previous FMJ generation still has bugs in the firmware that Arcam is aware of but has not fixed over eight months after being reported & confirm by Arcam themselves.

Add to this the new line also has been released with bugs in the firmware.
AA, what is the bug?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #38 of 274 Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
AA, what is the bug?

According to Paul213 over on AVforums who has purchased an AVR30 it its completely unusable due to have the incorrect firmware installed.

Even the dealer has conducted a home visit & installed new firmware but it remains the same.
post #39 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
According to Paul213 over on AVforums who has purchased an AVR30 it its completely unusable due to have the incorrect firmware installed.

Even the dealer has conducted a home visit & installed new firmware but it remains the same.
That post doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. Why would they have to rewrite the firmware from scratch just because they flashed on the wrong image on a unit?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #40 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Confused about the firmware making the AVR30 unusable. Another poster here said he auditioned the 20 & 30 and was impressed.

If the firmware inspection Is so bunk that it’s bricked the AVR, how can the demo occur for another user? What am I missing here?
Mashie Saldana likes this.
post #41 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
That post doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. Why would they have to rewrite the firmware from scratch just because they flashed on the wrong image on a unit?

You are best to direct your questions at Paul over on AVForums via the link I included as he is the person who has made the purchase, not me.
post #42 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 1792
Not a good look if true.....BUT, I'm also not going to jump to a major conclusion based one users very broad statement. Especially when another person just auditioned one that works fine.
post #43 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds more like a production issue than a bug that would affect every unit.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #44 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Sounds more like a production issue than a bug that would affect every unit.

That's what I was thinking. This makes me very nervous though as I will be purchasing a new receiver in the next 2-4 months. I was all set to get the Anthem MRX 1120 (or its replacement) for only $3,500.00, but then I heard about how much better Dirac is, and on paper, it looks like the AVR30 would be a substantial upgrade in sound quality. On the other hand, Anthem's OS seems to be more stable than Arcam's. Luckily I have a few months for it all to get sorted out.
post #45 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Just what exactly is meant by "having to re-write the entire firmware from scratch"?

Could it not be like this:
* For some reason this particular unit did not contain any (valid) firmware.
* Due to this, the whole firmware image will have to be flashed to the unit again (which is not good, but simple to fix). I.e. this would then be what was mean by that "they are having to re-write the entire firmware". If so, it does not mean re-writing the source code for the firmware, which is something completely different.

This is of course just guessing, but it would make sense and also explain why another user have reported actually listening to the AVRs without any problem.

Update: I also found this post on avforums, which says:

"An update on deliveries. I know that Magnolia (Best Buy) got in some units in via airfreight. I would have been surprised for them to hit the stores. Hence I asked the poster.

Re: firmware. Because they were air freighted units from Vietnam and they are "fresh", the firmware had to be uploaded after they hit State side."

This seems to match what I suspected. I.e. the firmware just had to be flashed to the unit, and it was already planned that this should be done. So no real issue. A mountain out of a molehill.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

Last edited by Fjodor2000; 11-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #46 of 274 Old 11-05-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just what exactly is meant by "having to re-write the entire firmware from scratch"?

Could it not be like this:
* For some reason this particular unit did not contain any (valid) firmware.
* Due to this, the whole firmware image will have to be flashed to the unit again (which is not good, but simple to fix). I.e. this would then be what was mean by that "they are having to re-write the entire firmware". If so, it does not mean re-writing the source code for the firmware, which is something completely different.

This is of course just guessing, but it would make sense and also explain why another user have reported actually listening to the AVRs without any problem.

Update: I also found this post on avforums, which says:

"An update on deliveries. I know that Magnolia (Best Buy) got in some units in via airfreight. I would have been surprised for them to hit the stores. Hence I asked the poster.

Re: firmware. Because they were air freighted units from Vietnam and they are "fresh", the firmware had to be uploaded after they hit State side."

This seems to match what I suspected. I.e. the firmware just had to be flashed to the unit, and it was already planned that this should be done. So no real issue. A mountain out of a molehill.

As I suggested to the previous poster, no point directing questions to me but to the user that had reported the issue over on AVForums thread which from your post you have visited.

I wanted to make others aware of a possible issue & also get feedback from others who could be experiencing similar issues & have the product in hand seeing as the US has received units before the UK.
post #47 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wanted to make others aware of a possible issue & also get feedback from others who could be experiencing similar issues & have the product in hand seeing as the US has received units before the UK.
You probably want to edit your original post about the "full re-write" as that now only will confuse anyone reading this thread.

Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #48 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dirac Live functionality for AVR10/20/30 & AV40

Since I was curious about what Dirac Live room correction functionality AVR10/20/30 & AV40 have, I contacted the Arcam support.

This is the info I got:

* They will support three Dirac calibration slots. The previous AVR generation only supported one slot.

* The first level of the Dirac Live Bass Management will come as standard with the AVRs -- that being the Tier 3 single sub crossover management. Tier 2 will be $200, with Tier 1 being $400. There is currently no word on how these prices will convert to local markets with only the USD having been announced. These modules are purchased directly from Dirac although there is currently no specific date on when they will be released.

More information about Dirac Live Bass management in general can be found on the Dirac website here, here and here. The first link says Tier 2 costs $249, which contradicts the price info for that Tier above, so I'm not sure which is correct. Also, some quoted info from the second link about the different Tiers:

"Tier 1 allows management of any number of subwoofers, analyzing each one to create a single-optimized sub channel that drives each subwoofer. It also enables precise control of frequency cutoffs for all speakers. Tier 2 offers advanced setup for a single subwoofer, while also providing control over parameters and applying frequency filters to all speakers based on measurements. Tier 3 is a free module for all current Dirac Live customers and OEMs, permitting standard bass management with the added benefit of predictive results."
SteveC356 likes this.
post #49 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
I posted on the UK forum SoundVideo username. In short, Magnolia (BB) needed to get product into their facility by a deadline or they missed the crucial Christmas rush. So they air freighted some in from Vietnam (the production faculty) to the States. A Magnolia US store might have one.

Here in AZ, a customer of mine (who is head of a very large IT department) and bought a AVR850 from me, was at a local Magnolia. He saw it, touched it, and operated the user interface, listened to etc. In short, it works, no one "had to scrap all of the firmware", etc. Will there be a bug or three? I expect some. Actually, I will be shocked if it doesn't. Just as I expect bugs from every single boutique vendor. After all, I fully predict they are modifying code as we speak. That isn't internal info; rather a pretty solid prediction.

Personally, I ordered up a motherload of the Arcam prepro and receivers. The batch is expected to hit the USA in a couple of weeks. I expect to take in a lot of trades because of Dirac and the price point. The new platform is more flexible, more feature, more channels, I'm told it sounds better, and it costs less than the predecessor. That's a solid formula for selling a lot especially BECAUSE it has Dirac.

All that said, I'm surprise how a random poster (post count totaling 2) on a UK AV board was able to spook so many people.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video

Last edited by SteveH; 11-06-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #50 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another note from Arcam that there are multiple sub connections using “configurable channels”

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #51 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another note from Arcam that there are multiple sub connections using “configurable channels”

What exactly does that mean - care to clarify? Thanks!
post #52 of 274 Old 11-06-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 3929 Post(s)
Liked: 4816
Quote:
What exactly does that mean - care to clarify? Thanks!
Channels 13 to 16 are user asignable meaning you can use them as subwoofer channels. You can have a 7.5.4 or 5.6.4 speaker setup. The max amount of subwoofers you can setup is 6: Sub 1, Sub 2 and 13 to 16.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #53 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Channels 13 to 16 are user asignable meaning you can use them as subwoofer channels. You can have a 7.5.4 or 5.6.4 speaker setup. The max amount of subwoofers you can setup is 6: Sub 1, Sub 2 and 13 to 16.
Does this mean that the AVR10 can't do 7.2.4?

Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | 4x KEF R300 | Boston Acoustics A25 overheads | Dual SVS PB-2000 | Denon AVR-X4100
Sony HW55es
post #54 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Does this mean that the AVR10 can't do 7.2.4?
The AVR10 has 12 channels in total. One channel is the LFE. You can have 2 subs but they need to be split the signal (the wire) in a Y configuration. The 16 channel versions offer more processing power.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #55 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The AVR10 has 12 channels in total. One channel is the LFE. You can have 2 subs but they need to be split the signal (the wire) in a Y configuration. The 16 channel versions offer more processing power.

I know a Y splitter isn’t a problem, but I wanted to use Dirac live bass management in a 7.2.4 config. So that’s a no-go then. I don’t want to spend more than the avr10 + license, so I guess I’ll stay with my NAD and minidsp.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | 4x KEF R300 | Boston Acoustics A25 overheads | Dual SVS PB-2000 | Denon AVR-X4100
Sony HW55es
post #56 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s the concept of what’s possible but with no owners manual I can’t comment on the how to.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #57 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unless Sub 2 has an internal Y-connector connected to either Sub 1 or to one of ch 13-16 I can't see how this would be a 16ch box, that would make it 17ch.

It will be interesting to read the user manual once it is available.

post #58 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hi - does anyone know if the AV40 has balanced XLR connects from memory I thought the previous version (AVM860) were not? It does say pro-grade XLRs in the literature but I'm not 100% sure what that means - George

Spoiler!
post #59 of 274 Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question New AVR reviews

Does anyone know when there will be some reviews available?

Interested to see what opinions there are from a few reviewers.
post #60 of 274 Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No "professional reviews" published yet as far as I'm aware. Usually they start popping up within a few months after release. You'll likely see opinions posted by forum users that have auditioned them in stores or bought them before that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2019 , Arcam , avr , models

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page