Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720 - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 597Likes

post #961 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
For any AVR10 and possible AVR20 users.
I moved my receiver to my main living room for convenience of the OSD, and lack of a good GUI on Screen.
I didn't notice this before as it was beside my Pc which had plenty of fans spinning.

Now it is in a much quiter envoirment and I find the receiver to be kind of loud when switched on. It's not a ground loop sound, just a low hum, easily heard from the MLP (82inches away).
Everything is working fine on the receiver no problems bar a few bugs mentioned already.
The noise does not increase or decrease just a steady hum. I assuming this is coming from the AMP itself, it's not coil whine.
Is this normal as I just bought this and can send it back if this is a issue.

I'm sure the AVR30 would be different giving that it has a different Amp inside.

Thanks in advance
Are you sure it isn't the subwoofer humming? Does the hum level drop when you play content? (eg. play something through HDMI at low volume does the hum reduce?). Hum is normally ground loop so I would troubleshoot it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
Are you sure it isn't the subwoofer humming? Does the hum level drop when you play content? (eg. play something through HDMI at low volume does the hum reduce?). Hum is normally ground loop so I would troubleshoot it that way.
Nope, the subs are off, I have disconnected all inputs and outputs. It's for sure coming from the unit itself.

You kind of get used to it. Then you turn it off and realize how loud it is.

I spent the whole day cutting new speaker wire and doing cable management for moving the receiver into this room. I'm gutted, the reason I keep the Pc and other electronics in the other room is because I have sensitive hearing to electronics

A guy on AVforums just message me a said it's normal
post #963 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Nope, the subs are off, I have disconnected all inputs and outputs. It's for sure coming from the unit itself.

Is it perhaps fan noise, or humming from the transformer?

Quote:
Normal for AVRs in general, or for Arcam HDA AVRs? My Marantz AVR does not make any noise, and I'm very sensitive to annoying noise like that so I would have noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I spent the whole day cutting new speaker wire and doing cable management for moving the receiver into this room. I'm gutted, the reason I keep the Pc and other electronics in the other room is because I have sensitive hearing to electronics

I don't think that is normal, I have seen that behaviour when input muting isn't used and it defaults to analogue input (My old Denon included). If the humming doesn't stop when playing back from an HDMI source quietly I would say there is a problem, that problem could be power related but its much easier to return the unit and try a different brand than it is to try to fix any power issues.

Edit: Wait a minute you; you are saying the hum is from the unit itself and not the speakers. That does sometimes happen with toroidal PSUs.

Last edited by Krobar; 04-11-2020 at 04:11 AM.
post #965 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Is it perhaps fan noise, or humming from the transformer?

Normal for AVRs in general, or for Arcam HDA AVRs? My Marantz AVR does not make any noise, and I'm very sensitive to annoying noise like that so I would have noticed.
No fans more like a transformer,
Ya I never experienced this on all the Denon's I had before.
Sorry he said normal for his Arcam HDA20, but then another guy said he couldn't hear anything

Last edited by Jimmy2Shoes; 04-11-2020 at 04:21 AM.
post #966 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I don't think that is normal, I have seen that behaviour when input muting isn't used and it defaults to analogue input (My old Denon included). If the humming doesn't stop when playing back from an HDMI source quietly I would say there is a problem, that problem could be power related but its much easier to return the unit and try a different brand than it is to try to fix any power issues.
OK, I haven't tried another socket I'll do that today, I get the humming when using the Pc's HDMI (different plug socket and room). So just to try it on another socket on its own cables at all except the power cable is all I can do to rule out any external sources.

Thanks
post #967 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:

Edit: Wait a minute you; you are saying the hum is from the unit itself and not the speakers. That does sometimes happen with toroidal PSUs.
Just saw your edit, haven't heard of a toroidal PSUs before?
post #968 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just saw your edit, haven't heard of a toroidal PSUs before?
To confirm you can hear the hum from the AVR20 itself even with no speakers connected? Toroidal PSUs are the ones that look like doughnuts; all of the Arcam AVR line is toroidal PSU; D+M products are nearly entirely switched PSU with the exception of the higher end Marantz SR8012.

A DC blocker will probably fix this issue for you as it is usually caused by DC on the mains. The noise is likely the toroid itself vibrating.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #969 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
To confirm you can hear the hum from the AVR20 itself even with no speakers connected? Toroidal PSUs are the ones that look like doughnuts; all of the Arcam AVR line is toroidal PSU; D+M products are nearly entirely switched PSU with the exception of the higher end Marantz SR8012.

A DC blocker will probably fix this issue for you as it is usually caused by DC on the mains. The noise is likely the toroid itself vibrating.
I going to confirm it again as it was late last night having spent all day doing the rewiring and cleaning.
I'll let you know for sure once done and check that off the list.
I'll go from there then
Thanks for the help
post #970 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:

Ok just did that and the humming same noise
This time it was direct to a wall socket. If I moved my hand along the chassis, I would feel an electric vibration, again nothing connected to it at all just plug

It's back in the cabinet, Same humming noise but connected to a surge protector nothing fancy, but the electric vibrations to touch are gone.

I think for sure this is an electric sound from the AMP or PSU
post #971 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
originally intended as an answer for an Mail to @avkv which i can't send, due to limitations while i am new here, here are some things that bothered me in FW 1.22

- Speakermapping is still not 100%, as it switches back to large front-speakers, whilst setup with two front subwoofers. i need to tell the system i had an LFE to be able to use sat+sub...
- There seems to be some communication delay with dirac, at leat while correcting levels.
- sometimes dirac just dies in the process. One time, a complete factory reset was needed to get it working again
- i didn't get zone 2 swichting to work like i wanted it to. it would be better, to configure it on the input config page, as i am sure, i will be not hte only one using zone 2 for surround amp, while zone 1 is for stereo.
- the check for updates button on engineering page is a disaster, as it starts update, without asking anymore. i got in this mess, because of that.
- one of the main reasons switching to the jbl is the design of the arcam. while optics are a matter of taste, not being able to read the buttons isn't.
- the OSD desperately has to show the hole menue, which is shown in the display of the system. to get out of the chair every time you need to adress the menue isn't a good coice, i hopefully think it is allready on your agenda.
- also it yould be nice to get some info on the OSD via info button for example signal in / signal out.
- i sometimes have issues with "Net", it tends to freeze and the only way ot seems a hard power off.
- a hard power off, causes a mindblowing crack in the speakers, so if i have to do it, it pull the triggers before.
- standyb and mute cause a smal plopp in the speakers.
- i don't know if it should work, but my mobile phone wasn't able to find the AV40 via Arcam-App
- sometimes i have to switch the modes (stereo/surround etc) to get sound out of the arcam.
- or it can even be neccessary to switch the system hard off, to get a signal though to hdmi out.
- most defintely network-update should be deactivated, till you are shuire it is working, becaus it will continue to create support-cases.
post #972 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok just did that and the humming same noise
This time it was direct to a wall socket. If I moved my hand along the chassis, I would feel an electric vibration, again nothing connected to it at all just plug

It's back in the cabinet, Same humming noise but connected to a surge protector nothing fancy, but the electric vibrations to touch are gone.

I think for sure this is an electric sound from the AMP or PSU
I think a DC blocker should fix this. Not sure which country you are in but just make sure you get one with a reasonable return policy so it only costs you postage if it does not fix this problem.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #973 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I think a DC blocker should fix this. Not sure which country you are in but just make sure you get one with a reasonable return policy so it only costs you postage if it does not fix this problem.
Thanks, done a bit of research on the subject, and I think your right, thanks for tips on purchase,
Ireland BTW

Have a good one
Jim
post #974 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At this point have the majority of the bugs and hisses on the AV40 been fixed? Would you go for the monoprice htp-1 over this?
post #975 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Thanks, done a bit of research on the subject, and I think your right, thanks for tips on purchase,
Ireland BTW

Have a good one
Jim
Jim - not an expert by any means - but I have been trying to track down the source of my subwoofer hum and I did talk to a manufacturer of DC Blockers who thought DC mains probably wasn't the issue. But from what I have read if you can measure the frequency of the hum - if it's around 60hz it is likely to be DC and if around 120hz then ground loop. I measured the frequency of the subwoofer hum and mine was around 120hz. So I have some joy trying to track down ground loop over the next few days - George
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.

LG C9 | Lyngdorf MP50 (eARC)| NAD M25 | Nord One NC500DM MKII 3 Channel Monitor Audio | Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #976 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Jim - not an expert by any means - but I have been trying to track down the source of my subwoofer hum and I did talk to a manufacturer of DC Blockers who thought DC mains probably wasn't the issue. But from what I have read if you can measure the frequency of the hum - if it's around 60hz it is likely to be DC and if around 120hz then ground loop. I measured the frequency of the subwoofer hum and mine was around 120hz. So I have some joy trying to track down ground loop over the next few days - George
He can hear the hum from the actual AVR with no speakers attached; subwoofer not even plugged in or turned on.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #977 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 6644 Post(s)
Liked: 3525
Quote:
He can hear the hum from the actual AVR with no speakers attached; subwoofer not even plugged in or turned on.
Probably the transformer humming.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #978 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Probably the transformer humming.
Ya I've isolated any other potential, So it must be this, I going to contact my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I have to turn it off when I'm not using it as it's one of those noises once you hear you can't unhear it ( not that is that loud, but enough to bother me)
post #979 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
I tried this a few months ago, you get a 6db drop in levels and the hiss drops about 6db too. I haven't bothered changing to RCA yet as it doesn't affect me at the MLP in my setup and I don't want to buy new cables for a software issue that will hopefully be fixed. Have you reported this to Arcam?
I’ve been sending in my issues to my dealer and Arcam. I remembered SteveH trying to gather info to see if things were cleared up enough for him to sell his inventory and thought I’d share where I’m at currently.
post #980 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Ever since 1.22 I've noticed distortion when listening to Spotify.

It is really accentuated in this song:
https://open.spotify.com/track/7jE5h...TVi6bOwzwkffEA

It sounds like my speakers can't handle it.

Revel F206s set to Small, 80Hz.

Arcam AVR20

Really puzzled by this and starting to worried something is wrong with my speakers, but both of them produce the distorted sound. Protection Sensitivity is set to high.

There's a chance my kids cranked the speakers up, but yo my knowledge they've never been pushed past the 70s, but usually stays in the 50s on the knob.

I've not run Dirac, no tuning or anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG

Last edited by Meetloaf13; 04-11-2020 at 09:47 PM.
post #981 of 1891 Old 04-11-2020, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post

Arcam AVR20

Really puzzled by this and starting to worried something is wrong with my speakers, but both of them produce the distorted sound. Protection Sensitivity is set to high.

There's a chance my kids cranked the speakers up, but yo my knowledge they've never been pushed past the 70s, but usually stays in the 50s on the knob.

I also have Revel F206s. I'll give this a listen tomorrow and let you know how it goes for me.
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #982 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Arcam AVR20

No issues on my F206s crossed at 80hz.

I listened to the song twice. I switched dirac on and off during the song. I had it at 52 but went a bit higher the second time around. I used the Spotify app on an LG G7 with chromecast to the Arcam. I have a AVR10. There is detail in the guitar frets being slid around. Sounded clear to me with no distortion. I did prefer it with dirac on.

I have set the volume limiter to 76 in the Arcam menu so I don't have a chance of others cranking the volume so high. Sometimes I have issues when I've been watching movies etc and then go back to streaming music that I'll need to power cycle the Arcam. (that was on an earlier firmware though and haven't played too much with 1.22 with multiple stuff during one sitting)

Maybe do a reset??? You can do the host reset which keeps your network settings by holding down info+mode.
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #983 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Arcam AVR20

I've noticed the same thing with my M2's last night when playing analog mode through "CD".
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #984 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 07:33 PM

playing with DIRAC for the first time. Just a 2.1 setup right now. When calibrating volume, I click sub to calibrate volume and the test sound comes from the LEFT speaker. Sound came out properly for the LR, really confused. Any ideas?

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG

Last edited by Meetloaf13; 04-12-2020 at 07:37 PM.
post #985 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Sounds like it's still buggy; I believe a JBL 55 owner reported the same thing.

Noah
post #986 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
playing with DIRAC for the first time. Just a 2.1 setup right now. When calibrating volume, I click sub to calibrate volume and the test sound comes from the LEFT speaker. Sound came out properly for the LR, really confused. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Sounds like it's still buggy; I believe a JBL 55 owner reported the same thing.
Doh, my post was supposed to be deleted =]

I just wasn't letting the test tone play long enough to switch from the tower speaker to the SW.

I actually just ran DIRAC for my first time. If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like my Revel F206s were already on the curve pretty well, and the SW had a few dips that will be boosted (really un-ideal room)? The other big issues I think i'm seeing won't be relevant because I have the speakers set to small, and the crossover at 80, so sound won't be playing out of either group at the most offending frequencies. Am I reading this right?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUBv1.png
Views:	108
Size:	777.8 KB
ID:	2709352   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRv1.png
Views:	105
Size:	855.3 KB
ID:	2709354  

post #987 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Doh, my post was supposed to be deleted =]

I just wasn't letting the test tone play long enough to switch from the tower speaker to the SW.

I actually just ran DIRAC for my first time. If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like my Revel F206s were already on the curve pretty well, and the SW had a few dips that will be boosted (really un-ideal room)? The other big issues I think i'm seeing won't be relevant because I have the speakers set to small, and the crossover at 80, so sound won't be playing out of either group at the most offending frequencies. Am I reading this right?

Thanks!

You will want follow the natural roll off of your mains by editing the target curve to do so. Boosting that much is not recommended & will sound harsh.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #988 of 1891 Old 04-12-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
My F206s have a similar response. I prefer the Harman curve from Arcam's website than the one you are using but i then boost the subwoofer level up 3db and set the bass tone control to 5. I like the added mid bass.

That curve sounded too boomy with lower bass in my room.
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #989 of 1891 Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
You will want follow the natural roll off of your mains by editing the target curve to do so. Boosting that much is not recommended & will sound harsh.
Right. Plus I would not boost below 40Hz and also follow the natural roll off there.
post #990 of 1891 Old 04-13-2020, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 6644 Post(s)
Liked: 3525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Basically you want the response to follow the intended target curve and set the crossover frequency according to your speaker's capabilities. If you experience "harshness" then your speakers aren't up for the task. Get better speakers!

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2019 , Arcam , avr , models

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page