Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720

1M views 10K replies 556 participants last post by  truwarrior22 
#1 · (Edited)
Arcam has revealed a complete new AV receiver range at CEDIA Expo 2019:

Articles:
Arcam reveals complete new AV receiver range at CEDIA Expo
Arcam's AV Electronics Line Gets a Refresh

Reviews:
AVR20: FWD Homecinema, Area DVD preview (also AVR30)(in German)
AVR30: Home Cinema Choice, AVForums, Stereonet
AV40: Audio Advice, AudioScienceReview, AVForums

Full HDA receiver range at Arcam website:
Arcam | Product Range | View our range from Solo products to HDA, FMJ and more

Main feature improvements compared to previous AVR generation:
  • 3 Dirac calibration slots (previous generation has 1)
  • Support for Dirac Bass Management Module. Tier 3 is included for free, Tier 2 and 1 can be bought as upgrade from Dirac.
  • Crossover frequency can now be set differently per speaker pair. I.e. no need set the same crossover frequency for all speakers.
  • Auro-3D
  • New DAC (ESS 9026PRO, previous generation has Cirrus CS42528)
  • Google cast & Android UPnP
  • HDMI 2.0b & HDCP 2.2 (previous generation has HDMI 2.0a), with eARC. HW upgrade option to HDMI 2.1 expected to be available in 2021Q1 as announced by Arcam.
  • More channels
  • Wifi & Bluetooth

AVRs:
AVR10: 7x60W/85W (@8/4Ohm), 12 channels, Class AB, frame-type transformer, 16.5 kg. MSRP: $2500/£2299.
AVR20: 7x90W/110W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Class AB, toroidal transformer, 16.6 kg. MSRP: $4000/£2999.
AVR30: 7x100W/180W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Glass G, toroidal transformer, 18.1kg. MSRP: $6000/£4999.

AV Processor:
AV40: 16 XLR outputs, 16 RCA outputs, pairs with PA240/410/720 power amplifiers, 10.6 kg. MSRP: $4500/£3749.

Common for AVR10/20/30 & AV40:
  • Dolby Atmos & DTS:X decoding 9.1.6 (AVR20/30&AV40) 7.1.4 (AVR10). IMAX enhanced.
  • 7 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs (AVR20/30&AV40) 2 HDMI outputs (AVR10), eARC compatible.
  • 4K (UHD) HDMI2.0b with HDCP2.2
  • Dirac Live® room correction
  • ESS 9026PRO audiophile DAC
  • Google Cast/UPnP capability for streaming audio
  • Bluetooth, Wifi / Ethernet, RS232 and IR control
  • Free MusicLife iOS and Android UPnP and control app
  • Size (WxDxH): 433 x 422 x 171 mm (AVR10/20/30), 433 x 412 x 171 mm (AV40). Depth with volume knob included is 441 mm (AVR10/20/30), 431 mm (AV40).

Power amplifiers:
PA240: 2x225W/380W (@8/4Ohm), Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $2500/£1999.
PA410: 4x50W/70W (@8/4Ohm), Class AB, 10 kg. MSRP: £1299.
PA720: 7x100W/140W (@8/4Ohm). Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $3000/£2499.

Common for PA240/720/410: Toroidal transformer
Common for PA240/720: XLR & RCA inputs
Only PA410: RCA inputs.
Size (WxDxH): 433 x 425 x 171 mm (PA240), 433 x 414 x 171 mm (PA720), 433 x 290 x 102 mm (PA410)

AVR10/20/30 & AV40 image front (all look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

AVR10 image back:

AVR20/30 image back:

AV40 Processor image back:

PA240/720 power amplifier image front (both look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

PA240 image back:

PA720 image back:

PA410 power amplifier image front:

See less See more
#287 ·
I have been following AV Forums New Arcam Receivers thread and today somebody posted this:

I have just been informed by Arcam that I am not supposed to be in possession of my AV40, Arcam has been taken by complete surprise that dealers are selling their demo units (the software is not release ready) which lines up with what dealers in the US are saying. The units will not be available for general release for a few more weeks yet, Dirac and Auro will be coming around the end of January 2020. In my retailers defence, they have been very supportive, great customer service and I believe they were not informed by Arcam not to sell their stock. I did get a good discount, but no caveat was put around that, I will be returning the unit and will go back to Yamaha which I have used for years without issue, this will likely by my last post on this particular subject, but I will keep watching with great interest.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-arcam-avrs.2248063/page-12#post-27610938

This statement lines up with I was told by my local Best Buy/Magnolia and by another local Arcam dealer here in Houston. Both of them have stock but they don't have green light yet from Arcam to sell the products as they are not ready to the public.

#318 ·
I sold @jmcomp124 his AV40. Before any hit the ground, I let him know that the software was fresh to the point of expect some hiccups. It seems I delivered on my promise. :eek: BB/Magnolia was o.k. not having Dirac because in order for them to get them into the store before Christmas, they had to get them into their multiple stores by mid last month. Possibly BB's sales staff made a decision not to sell product. I don't know. But I've never been told not to sell my piece as I have a lot of them coming my way. Furthermore, I won't sell more until Dirac is shipping which I'm told from the highest sources is "month end". Because customers problems are officially my problem. I just beefed up my order again anticipating a very strong amount of sales.

Can the end of month date slip? Maybe, but from what I'm hearing, I doubt it. And I also know they are aware of the posted issues and working on the patches as we speak. I am in the email loop to product support.

Unfortunately, customers come 1st so I didn't get to play with one yet. jmcomp124 has a very critical ear so I am hopeful it kicks butt. I think it is fair to assume the big bugs will be tackled 1st.

An AVR20 just landed. I'm itching to give it a try. But I think I might just leave it sit until month end. For me Dirac is paramount. So the sooner it gets released, the better. By that time, they should have another patch to take care of some of the issues .:)

#294 ·
I'd love to see a shootout between the Arcam AV40 and JBL Synthesis SDP-55. Is the JBL worth the extra $$?

#295 ·
As far I can tell there only three things that are different between the AV40 and the SDP-55, if we don't count the front panel which on the JBL looks very nice compared to the Arcam.

1.- DAC: AV40 has ESS9026 Pro and SDP-55 has ESS9028 Pro.

2.- Dante: AV40 No Dante and SDP-55 does Dante.

3.- Logic16: AV40 no Logic16 and SDP-55 does Logic16.

Also, JBL is advertising HDR10+ support on the SDP-55 but Arcam doesn't say anything about HDR10+ support. AURO 3D is already confirmed on the AV40/AVR20/AVR30/AVR10. Dirac Bass Management module looks like will be included for free on the SDP-55 (higher tie) and on the Arcam only the single sub will be free and the others with an upgrade fee.

I'm not expecting any audible difference between the two to be honest, at least not enough to justify a $1.5K price difference.

#299 ·
Yes, the OSD is very primitive. Like something from the 2000s. However the device does seem to expose most of the settings through a web page on its IP address (which has no security, sadly, so this device belongs in a separate VLAN from any valuable data). You have to go through a couple of simple screens of setup then it takes you to a full menu system which duplicates the menus in the system.

#304 ·
How do you access Denon's web set up interface?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#305 ·
Denon/Marantz web interface only works with models prior to 2013 and after 2018. Between 2014 and 2017 (because of HEOS) they took out this functionality and brought it back with the 2018 models. If you have a 2018 and up model, just go to your browser and put the IP address of the receiver. That will take you to the receiver web interface.

#310 · (Edited)
Subwoofer volume

I found that my subwoofer levels were way too hot. Even at the lowest setting in the speaker config for subwoofer, it was still way too hot. Go to Menu->Speaker Types->Sub Gain and dial it down if you need to, at the least, please double check. I would be very sad to hear someone blew their woofers. I had to set mine to -12dB to get things dialed in. If I was not careful, I could have blown my woofers that were DIY several years ago. The LMS 5400 Ultra linear motors are no longer made by TC Sounds. Arcam would have heard an earful if something bad had happened. Please report back on what your setting is. Input sensitivity of amps are highly variable.

#311 ·
Treble and Bass?

Please take a close look at the attached pictures. Tell me what you notice (Bass 0dB vs Bass - : 0 dB). This has implications on how your left and right arrow controls on the remote work. I have a lot more to tell on what I experienced with these settings. I first want to hear from AV40 owners.

Attachments

#316 ·
That is the mystery. There were all sorts of weird things on the display. I had to press left arrow for almost a minute for each input config for treble and bass. Here are some more examples with < symbol, huge dB etc. Wonder what it would do if left at some number like 53!!

Attachments

#325 ·
Does Arcam has an iOS/Android App or is it just browser based setup and control like Monoprice's HTP-1?

#327 ·
There is an Arcam app for Android. I'm sure there's an equivalent app on iOS. It doesn't show this generation of receivers in the list of supported models. The AV860 and AVR850 are compatible so it's very possible these are compatible as well. Perhaps Jai can test with his AV40?

#326 ·
Going to be interesting if they do stick to the end of month date & if they do how "buggy" it will be.

I would much prefer them not to rush it for Christmas & test it thoroughly before releasing it.

Still think they should have delay the launch of these AVR's, now it seems they are under even more pressure to release fixes to please customers & dealers.

#334 · (Edited)
Arcam AVR10/20/30 &amp; AV40 &amp; PA240/410/720

I order a AVR30. Should have it next week. Just before Christmas.

I am coming from a Emotiva RMC-1L. A great sounding pre pro so I hope the Arcam sound quality will be on par or close to the RMC-1L sound quality but without all the smalls bugs ;-)

I was using my RMC-1L in my basement home Theater but do to health issue I now prefer to use my family room that I convert in a small home Theater with a 77 inch Sony Oled.

For the family room the RMC-1L was not stable enough and a bit complicated with all the wires and separate amp. So I’ve decided to go for a receiver with integrated amp. A lot simpler for my wife and kids. Just hope the sound quality will be there. The amp type G of the AVR30 seem very well rated.

Will report back and post comparaison comments on the Arcam AVR30 vs the Emotiva RMC-1L.

#337 ·
I know it will not be perfect day one, its a new platform and need some fine tuning. But we have to gave them a chance the new models will be release here in Canada this week (so not release officially yet) so pretty new for now.

The RMC-1 is out for, I think, a bit more than a year.

Only time will tell but I am confident Arcam will do better on that side :)

#341 ·
Like Marantz, Harman has partnered with United Radio in Upstate NY. So let's say I have a bad Arcam or Mark Levinson (defective after a month or damaged in shipping). They would want it shipped back to United Radio. Same if I had a bad Marantz after a month and needed it to be exchanged.

So needeless to say, United Radio is the place. I hope that answers your question.

#343 ·
There is next version of firmware on the way.

All being well we are hoping that the next release (v0.89) will be up on our website to download and install via USB within the next 24-48H, please keep an eye out on our website.
Could you please tell us what this new firmware fix or add?

#348 · (Edited)
Did not resolve my DD+ issues but now at least the AV40 does not need to be power cycled after encountering a DD+ stream it does not like.

Other thoughts:
1) Very fast boot up and signal locking compared to other prepros I have used
2) OSD is very basic and cannot be used for setup (Although OSDs getting rarer these days)
3) Webpage based setup is really easy and my favourite
4) Web based update is very slow, best use USB
5) Auro and Dirac don't work yet
6) Speaker config options are not bad but would be good to have individual CH and VOG choices for channels 15 & 16.
7) The current Z2 and bi-amp options for channels 6 and 7 should be offered on other channels too.

#349 ·
Here is the fix list for the latest firmware release. I haven't had any serious issues, but the web connectivity is unreliable.

One issue I've had when playing music through Apple TV is that the receiver loses the signal type for the split second between songs and cuts off the beginning of the next song as it re-acquires the signal type.

Fix list:
20860: Confirmation sound not played during Google Home setup.
20878: Display could show higher sample rates as 48kHz incorrectly.
20912: DAC parameters optimised for max. SNR performance.
21032: Higher sampling rate incoming streams could have artefacts.
21066: Could lose audio when switching to Atmos stream from another stream type.
21074: Optimise USB update of network module.
21076: Improve ARC compatibility with some displays.
21077: Correct typo in display of kHz on incoming sample frequency in Input Config menu. 21081: No audio from NET input if powered on the NET input.
21088: Fix typo in speaker types menu when set to US region.
21090: HDMI Bypass in standby may not work with some displays.
21091: No zone2 audio if incoming audio stream is hi bit rate.
21099: No RS232 message to indicate no menu after sub trim times out.
21102: Dolby Digital 3.0 streams not correctly rendered.
21103: OSD shows wrong surround format if switching to an input with stream already playing. 21104: Legacy DTS in some speaker setups has audio artefacts.
21116: Analogue input shows PCM 2/0.0
21117: Correct typo in the display of stereo direct in menu > general setup > incoming format.

20828: PCM 2.0 @ 96kHz/192kHz sometimes not recognized correctly.
20893: OSD with Dolby Vision content shifted on some displays.
20903: Play Atmos, play internal test tones, audio does not return.
20904: Test tones did not work after playing Atmos stream.
20914: Analogue input trim optimised.
20939: Zone 2 audio out “follow zone 1” no output.
20950: Zone 2 inputs not changing with simulated IR over RS232/IP.
20954: DTS:X to DTS HD MA 2.0 exchange causes audio artefact.
20972: Dolby digital incoming format display changed with different speaker setups.
20982: Correct MQA Studio icon text size.
21004: IP/RS232 command supports 4 digit PIN for secure backup.
21018: Restore backup to USB could cause lockup with some USB sticks.
21019: Store backup to USB could cause lockup with some USB sticks.
21025: IP/RS232 requesting input config too soon after input change should return 0x85 until ready. 21044: PCM > MCH > Dolby Surround causes audio artefact.
21047: Input trim could not be selected if source changed from digital to analogue.
21048: Volume setting for zone 2 could not be adjusted if selecting zone 2 with AMP+OK on remote. 21061: Turn on Zone1, then Zone2, turn off Zone1 & Zone2, turn on just Zone2, HDMI may not start. 21063: Network may not function if both Zone1 & Zone2 select network input.
21065: Startup OSD not centered on some displays at turn on.
21072: Implement DTS Virtual:X

#351 ·
Went to Best But today to get some speaker stands for my daughter and had the chance to see the Arcam's and they look really nice, better than the online photos. The finish and chassis design is very simple and classy. I really like the LCD screen interface and menu layout. Very easy to navigate, much better than Denon/Marantz and Emotiva LCD screen. You can actually configure on this LCD screen. Unfortunately the room AV switcher was offline so I wasn't able to check the OSD interface. I plan to go back after the holidays to check myself the OSD. The Magnolia guy told me that they did update the receivers this morning with V0.89 firmware per ARCAM email request.

Attachments

Reactions: Fjodor2000
#352 ·
Can someone please confirm whether the name on inputs NET, DAB and BT can not be altered to anything else through the input config menu?
All other inputs can be renamed, but those 3 seem to be locked, but nothing is mentioned about such a restriction in the manual. (page EN-31)

#356 ·
Is there a pure or direct mode that can be applied that turns all sound processing and room correction off? Like for 2ch content? And can it be configured to apply automatically for all 2ch material, from a specific source, and enable only the front mains and possibly just a sub?

#357 ·
There is a "Direct" mode that can be enabled with a dedicated button on the remote and on the front panel of the receiver/processor. It provides a direct analog patch and turn off any processing/DSP. Meaning no subwoofer, only 2.0.

Attachments

Reactions: Magnus_CA