Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720 - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 607Likes

post #1801 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I updated the firmware on my AV40 Saturday. As far as I can tell, it didn't fix any of the issues I have. I listed bugs I have noticed below. I have also noticed with the new firmware that changing anything in speaker types is locked out with Dirac engaged even if bass control isn't being used but strangely enough you can change the stereo playback type to anything you want even with DLBC. Do they test this stuff at all?

1. Audio dropouts when switching modes or fast forward/rewind. I have to recycle sound modes to get it back. There was no change between 1.32 and 1.34
2. When using Auro upmixer it will work for a while but out of the blue suddenly stop decoding anything. All i get is clicks and shrill pops from all speakers
3. When watching anything DTS HD, I get loud pops when source starts playing and when switching to Neural:X upmixer
4. Dirac bass control still doesn't appear to work properly. I have no idea whether the issue lies with Arcam or Dirac or both. As I have mentioned , Dirac has my project and having told me they are making progress. For the time being, I still get better results with it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
I updated the firmware on my AV40 Saturday. As far as I can tell, it didn't fix any of the issues I have. I listed bugs I have noticed below. I have also noticed with the new firmware that changing anything in speaker types is locked out with Dirac engaged even if bass control isn't being used but strangely enough you can change the stereo playback type to anything you want even with DLBC. Do they test this stuff at all?

1. Audio dropouts when switching modes or fast forward/rewind. I have to recycle sound modes to get it back. There was no change between 1.32 and 1.34
I got 5 or 6 instance of this with 1.32 over about a month (Never happened with earlier firmware) and so far it seems 1.34 has fixed it for me. What is the source?

Quote:
2. When using Auro upmixer it will work for a while but out of the blue suddenly stop decoding anything. All i get is clicks and shrill pops from all speakers
What speaker config are you using? Does this issue stop if you do not use Dirac BC?

Quote:
3. When watching anything DTS HD, I get loud pops when source starts playing and when switching to Neural:X upmixer
Same for me. (Although they are not very loud)

Quote:
4. Dirac bass control still doesn't appear to work properly. I have no idea whether the issue lies with Arcam or Dirac or both. As I have mentioned , Dirac has my project and having told me they are making progress. For the time being, I still get better results with it off.
Same for me.
post #1803 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
I got 5 or 6 instance of this with 1.32 over about a month (Never happened with earlier firmware) and so far it seems 1.34 has fixed it for me. What is the source?

What speaker config are you using? Does this issue stop if you do not use Dirac BC?

Same for me. (Although they are not very loud)

Same for me.
My source when getting most of the audio dropouts is a xfinity cable box. I have also gotten them a few times streaming Netflix if I switch between 2.0 and 5.1 shows. My speaker config is 7.2.4 with on ceiling top speakers and the subs currently on 13/14. The issue with Auromatic upmixer doesn't seem to have anything to do with bass control. i think it is related to the audio input format changing just like the audio dropouts when using Dolby Surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My source when getting most of the audio dropouts is a xfinity cable box. I have also gotten them a few times streaming Netflix if I switch between 2.0 and 5.1 shows. My speaker config is 7.2.4 with on ceiling top speakers and the subs currently on 13/14. The issue with Auromatic upmixer doesn't seem to have anything to do with bass control. i think it is related to the audio input format changing just like the audio dropouts when using Dolby Surround.
The one common denominator I've seen lately with issues from several manufactures is Dirac. I'm beginning to wonder if that is the real source of the problems.
bigguyca likes this.
post #1805 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan615 View Post
The one common denominator I've seen lately with issues from several manufactures is Dirac. I'm beginning to wonder if that is the real source of the problems.
It is possible but these boutique manufactures all seem to have issues before Dirac even became available. NAD did with T758 v3. Arcam/JBL did. The Emotiva units still don't even have Dirac available.
post #1806 of 1957 Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
It is possible but these boutique manufactures all seem to have issues before Dirac even became available. NAD did with T758 v3. Arcam/JBL did. The Emotiva units still don't even have Dirac available.

Agreed.. it’s more a symptom of sitting in the middle tier, where volumes are relatively low (compared to big box brands) customers are still quite price sensitive (compared to Storm/Trinnov) - so development resources and budgets are constrained. Yet customers expect premium features (like Dirac) that are considerably more complex to integrate than an “in unit” REQ like Audyssey.
philipbtz and ReTrOToo like this.
post #1807 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 6692 Post(s)
Liked: 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrieze01 View Post
customers expect premium features (like Dirac) that are considerably more complex to integrate than an “in unit” REQ like Audyssey.
The opposite is true. With DL all the heavy lifting is done in the PC/mobile app (which is maintained by Dirac) while Audyssey is running everything inside the AVR/P.
DS-21 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 06-30-2020 at 11:24 PM.
post #1808 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
The opposite is true. With DL all the heavy lifting is done in the PC/mobile app (which is maintained be Dirac) while Audyssey is running everything inside the AVR/P.

That’s true only from a processing perspective.

From a software integration, bugs and customer support perspective - its an absolute nightmare. You have 3 independently moving pieces. Dirac making changes on their own and very actively evolving. Arcam making their own changes, and then what the user does with the PC. There are many combinations and too many unknowns that Arcam can not control or restrict, and any disconnect between any of these three can lead to Arcam getting blamed for the issue.

The Audyssey example is similar to Apple controlling the hardware, OS and all the apps running on it. Better user experience, but at the expense of being more restricted.
orbyts likes this.
post #1809 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

From a software integration, bugs and customer support perspective - its an absolute nightmare. You have 3 independently moving pieces. Dirac making changes on their own and very actively evolving. Arcam making their own changes, and then what the user does with the PC. There are many combinations and too many unknowns that Arcam can not control or restrict, and any disconnect between any of these three can lead to Arcam getting blamed for the issue.

The Audyssey example is similar to Apple controlling the hardware, OS and all the apps running on it. Better user experience, but at the expense of being more restricted.
And it sounds terrible (Audyssey)
MUDCAT45 and orbyts like this.

Living Room: Marantz SR7012 - KEF LS50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: ARCAM AVR20 - Epson 6050UB - 120 inch Elite Screen - Klipsch RC-64 III - DIY Towers with KEF LS50 UniQ drivers and SB Acoustics Satori 9,5' - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - ELAC WS1445
post #1810 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 599
With 1.34 I have had a very stable experience. I think everything works and the sound is phenomenal.

I just hope that this doesn't jinx everything

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 684S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Arcam AV40 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Outlaw 7000x | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #1811 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 6692 Post(s)
Liked: 3584
Quote:

Not really. The real problem is that there seems to be no software QA process in place other than waiting for the user to call in.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1812 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
Quote:

Arcam should be blamed for issues with Dirac on Arcam products.

Arcam choose which software to run on its products. Arcam must have understood the issues with risk and control that you have raised with the Dirac environment. It was Arcam's responsibility in selling its products to account for them.

Choosing Dirac meant that Arcam (Samsung) avoided developing that software functionality inhouse with the associated costs. Arcam clearly knew they didn't have complete control of the Dirac environment. Arcam choose to proceed and accept buyer's money.
post #1813 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Arcam should be blamed for issues with Dirac on Arcam products.

Arcam choose which software to run on its products. Arcam must have understood the issues with risk and control that you have raised with the Dirac environment. It was Arcam's responsibility in selling its products to account for them.

Choosing Dirac meant that Arcam (Samsung) avoided developing that software functionality inhouse with the associated costs. Arcam clearly knew they didn't have complete control of the Dirac environment. Arcam choose to proceed and accept buyer's money.

Whoa.. I’m not defending Arcam’s sloppy rollout .

Maybe the context has gotten lost, so to summarize, there was a post speculating that since “all” the boutique manufacturers that are having issues have one thing in common - Dirac. Maybe the underlying issue is actually Dirac, and not the vendors.

I countered by pointing out, that the bugs are not necessary inside Dirac per se. Boutique companies need to differentiate their product by integrating 3rd party software - so the common thread across all these manufacturers is the “integration” with a piece of software that is itself evolving. And any integration will always be messy.

Not having a good QA process, releasing too early etc, only compounds the issue.
post #1814 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ARCAM REW measurements are all wonky

Folks - hoping someone who knows REW can help me out.

I have calibrated my AV40 with Dirac and am getting fatanstic sound. For kicks I decided I should measure my corrected response using REW and UMIK-1.

When I measure I am getting the attached output - it looks terrible and I know it cant be that bad since I am not hearing sound that bad.
Is it simply that I have not applied smoothing the output - which looks much better with Psychoacoustic smoothing.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rew measurment.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2751282   Click image for larger version

Name:	rew measurement with Psycho smoothing.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2751292  

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 684S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Arcam AV40 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Outlaw 7000x | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #1815 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post

I have calibrated my AV40 with Dirac and am getting fatanstic sound. For kicks I decided I should measure my corrected response using REW and UMIK-1.

When I measure I am getting the attached output - it looks terrible and I know it cant be that bad since I am not hearing sound that bad.
Is it simply that I have not applied smoothing the output - which looks much better with Psychoacoustic smoothing.

Thanks in advance
You need to measure at several spots and look at the variation and the average.

I'm not convinced DLBC is where it needs to be.

I'd trust the measurement though. You're likely liking the sound because it's a change. Or it was even worse before. I don't know.
post #1816 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM

You need some smoothing beyond 500 Hz. I use var
smoothing. Don’t know if that’s the recommended one.

Is the 10db Bass hump by design? Which target curve are you using?
post #1817 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You need some smoothing beyond 500 Hz. I use var
smoothing. Don’t know if that’s the recommended one.

Is the 10db Bass hump by design? Which target curve are you using?

Thanks - without smoothing do your measurements look whacky too?

The 10dB is using the curve from Arcam with the Large subwoofer curve applied.

On a separate note: I have noticed some distortion in vocals when applying Dirac (cracking voice like when the mic gain is too high) no matter which curve I use. So need to file another ticket with Arcam. Is this a known issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1818 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:

On a separate note: I have noticed some distortion in vocals when applying Dirac (cracking voice like when the mic gain is too high) no matter which curve I use. So need to file another ticket with Arcam. Is this a known issue?

The jaggies on the right is normal without smoothing.
post #1819 of 1957 Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

What is your source?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
post #1820 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

Thanks in advance
This looks completely normal it's just that most people apply smoothing to make it look better. Personally I don't like smoothing.

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, (soon)Apollon NCMP6350, (soon)Apollon NCMP6200, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, ATV 4K |
post #1821 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Imo it comes down to the fact that dirac is evolving vs Audyssey has not had an update since years. Furthermore dirac is used by niche brands that struggle not only with dirac but also with many other aspects of their AVR. Just remember that dirac for MiniDSP works since years.
post #1822 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Smoothing is fine for when you are looking at the higher frequencies, if fact you pretty much need it as you can't really read the response without it but if you are looking at the sub response or mains to sub splice you should be using no smoothing at all.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 07-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.
post #1823 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Where is your crossover set? Are you using DLBC?
post #1824 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where is your crossover set? Are you using DLBC?

No DLBC since I have three subs and DLBC is not yet ready to spend 500 on.

Crossover are set in Arcam at 60Hz for all the channel shown.

I am using the basic Dirac curve included from the Arcam site and large subwoofer curve for the Subs

post #1825 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No DLBC since I have three subs and DLBC is not yet ready to spend 500 on.

Crossover are set in Arcam at 60Hz for all the channel shown.

I am using the basic Dirac curve included from the Arcam site and large subwoofer curve for the Subs

Thanks. Are you using the "upmix only" feature? I see you have a pretty good dip in the crossover region just like I am seeing and has been reported in the official Dirac thread. The Harman curve on the Arcam site only has a 3db bass boost so I'm not sure where that 10db boost is coming from.
post #1826 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720

Quote:
Thanks. Are you using the "upmix only" feature? I see you have a pretty good dip in the crossover region just like I am seeing and has been reported in the official Dirac thread. The Harman curve on the Arcam site only has a 3db bass boost so I'm not sure where that 10db boost is coming from.

Yes I see the dip too. I think it’s simply the fact that I am trying just one measurement. I must measure a few more locations for which Dirac optimizes and then look at the average response.

I am not using Upmix - have three subs at three different outputs (Sub, 13, 14)

Now that I know that the squigglies in HF is expected I will measure again today with more precision and care and report back.

But the bigger issue is cracking of voice when I use Dirac. The issue goes away when I turn Dirac off

post #1827 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance

If you’re trying to optimize the bass and crossover. Set REW to only measure up to 500 Hz, and then do NOT apply any smoothing.

Once the Bass and crossover is optimized you can do a final full range measurement and apply some smoothing to see the final result. I think psychoacoustic has too much smoothing, and all the detail is lost. Try “var” or one of the others that still preserves some detail especially in the sub 500Hz band, so that it still looks close to the 500Hz curve without smoothing.
post #1828 of 1957 Old 07-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I see the dip too. I think it’s simply the fact that I am trying just one measurement. I must measure a few more locations for which Dirac optimizes and then look at the average response.

Now that I know that the squigglies in HF is expected I will measure again today with more precision and care and report back.

But the bigger issue is cracking of voice when I use Dirac. The issue goes away when I turn Dirac off

I think there is an issue with bass summation in crossover region with Dirac 3.0.0 when allowing Dirac to handle crossovers . I know there is a bug in the subwoofer correction above 100hz. I am currently communicating with Dirac support on the issue. They sent me a beta version to fix the sub correction problem 3.0.2 but i still have issue with the crossovers.

You must be using something other than the default Harman target on the Arcam site to get a 10db bass boost. The target on the Arcam site only boosts the bass 3db.
tommarra likes this.
post #1829 of 1957 Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New arcam owner (AVR10), Looks like my current firmware is 1.28. I'm having trouble accessing the Web interface..just to clarify this is done by typing in the IP address found under the network menu into a web browser? I'm using a macbook air and have tried firefox and chrome. Can't get it to connect to receiver. I'm using a wired connection to the receiver. Am i doing something wrong?
post #1830 of 1957 Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot23 View Post
New arcam owner (AVR10), Looks like my current firmware is 1.28. I'm having trouble accessing the Web interface..just to clarify this is done by typing in the IP address found under the network menu into a web browser? I'm using a macbook air and have tried firefox and chrome. Can't get it to connect to receiver. I'm using a wired connection to the receiver. Am i doing something wrong?
Get the latest firmware from Arcam's website and upgrade by USB, you shpuld be able to access the Web UI with 1.28 but best upgrade the FW anyway and see if this helps as it is pretty stable

But yes that is the method to access the Web UI, you are doing this right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2019 , Arcam , avr , models

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page