Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720

1M views 10K replies 556 participants last post by  truwarrior22 
#1 · (Edited)
Arcam has revealed a complete new AV receiver range at CEDIA Expo 2019:

Articles:
Arcam reveals complete new AV receiver range at CEDIA Expo
Arcam's AV Electronics Line Gets a Refresh

Reviews:
AVR20: FWD Homecinema, Area DVD preview (also AVR30)(in German)
AVR30: Home Cinema Choice, AVForums, Stereonet
AV40: Audio Advice, AudioScienceReview, AVForums

Full HDA receiver range at Arcam website:
Arcam | Product Range | View our range from Solo products to HDA, FMJ and more

Main feature improvements compared to previous AVR generation:
  • 3 Dirac calibration slots (previous generation has 1)
  • Support for Dirac Bass Management Module. Tier 3 is included for free, Tier 2 and 1 can be bought as upgrade from Dirac.
  • Crossover frequency can now be set differently per speaker pair. I.e. no need set the same crossover frequency for all speakers.
  • Auro-3D
  • New DAC (ESS 9026PRO, previous generation has Cirrus CS42528)
  • Google cast & Android UPnP
  • HDMI 2.0b & HDCP 2.2 (previous generation has HDMI 2.0a), with eARC. HW upgrade option to HDMI 2.1 expected to be available in 2021Q1 as announced by Arcam.
  • More channels
  • Wifi & Bluetooth

AVRs:
AVR10: 7x60W/85W (@8/4Ohm), 12 channels, Class AB, frame-type transformer, 16.5 kg. MSRP: $2500/£2299.
AVR20: 7x90W/110W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Class AB, toroidal transformer, 16.6 kg. MSRP: $4000/£2999.
AVR30: 7x100W/180W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Glass G, toroidal transformer, 18.1kg. MSRP: $6000/£4999.

AV Processor:
AV40: 16 XLR outputs, 16 RCA outputs, pairs with PA240/410/720 power amplifiers, 10.6 kg. MSRP: $4500/£3749.

Common for AVR10/20/30 & AV40:
  • Dolby Atmos & DTS:X decoding 9.1.6 (AVR20/30&AV40) 7.1.4 (AVR10). IMAX enhanced.
  • 7 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs (AVR20/30&AV40) 2 HDMI outputs (AVR10), eARC compatible.
  • 4K (UHD) HDMI2.0b with HDCP2.2
  • Dirac Live® room correction
  • ESS 9026PRO audiophile DAC
  • Google Cast/UPnP capability for streaming audio
  • Bluetooth, Wifi / Ethernet, RS232 and IR control
  • Free MusicLife iOS and Android UPnP and control app
  • Size (WxDxH): 433 x 422 x 171 mm (AVR10/20/30), 433 x 412 x 171 mm (AV40). Depth with volume knob included is 441 mm (AVR10/20/30), 431 mm (AV40).

Power amplifiers:
PA240: 2x225W/380W (@8/4Ohm), Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $2500/£1999.
PA410: 4x50W/70W (@8/4Ohm), Class AB, 10 kg. MSRP: £1299.
PA720: 7x100W/140W (@8/4Ohm). Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $3000/£2499.

Common for PA240/720/410: Toroidal transformer
Common for PA240/720: XLR & RCA inputs
Only PA410: RCA inputs.
Size (WxDxH): 433 x 425 x 171 mm (PA240), 433 x 414 x 171 mm (PA720), 433 x 290 x 102 mm (PA410)

AVR10/20/30 & AV40 image front (all look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

AVR10 image back:

AVR20/30 image back:

AV40 Processor image back:

PA240/720 power amplifier image front (both look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

PA240 image back:

PA720 image back:

PA410 power amplifier image front:

See less See more
#2 ·
Some initial questions that would be nice to get answered:

* Is there any way to upgrade the HDMI inputs to HDMI 2.1 later?

* Do the AVRs support setting a separate cutoff frequency for different speakers? E.g. 40 Hz for front speakers, 120 Hz for rear, and 80 Hz for subwoofers? The previous generation AVRs did not support that.

#21 · (Edited)
To get these questions answered, I contacted the Arcam support. In my opinion, the answers were very positive and professionally stated.

In short the answers were:

* Arcam has made every possible effort to make the AVRs upgradable to HDMI 2.1. This includes making the HDMI board easier to remove. Arcam has also done all that they can to ensure an upgrade will be possible should compatible hardware arrive in a timely fashion. But since a HDMI 2.1 certification process does not currently exist, nobody can know for sure. This applies to all AVRs manufacturers, and not just Arcam, despite any claims other manufacturers make of already being HDMI 2.1 compatible.

* The new AVRs do support different crossovers per speaker pair.

For the full answer from Arcam, see quote below:

It isn't possible at this time to fully answer question 1. We have made the HDMI board easier to remove in the hope that an HDMI 2.1 board could be installed. However, despite what you may have seen online, there isn't actually an HDMI 2.1 certification process. You will see some devices on the market that might make claims of 8K or even saying they are HDMI 2.1 ready, but the fact is that nothing can be certified as ready until the certification process exists. The devices might conform to what will be the certification process, but this cannot be known until the process is available.

A similar thing happened with 4k -- many devices were released claiming to be 4k ready, or Ultra HD ready, or HDMI 2.0 ready, well before the certification was finalised, and at the last minute HDCP 2.2 was enforced and added, and many of the first wave of 4k products were incompatible. We do not wish to jump the gun and release something that will make claims of being HDMI 2.1 ready until we know that it absolutely will be. Our manufacturing partners have not yet manufactured any boards that can be called HDMI 2.1 ready as that represents a significant hardware development cost that will be wasted if it proves not to be the case.

The upshot of this preamble is that we have done all that we can to ensure an upgrade will be possible should compatible hardware arrive in a timely fashion. However, we simply do not know if the HDMI boards, when they launch, will be compatible with the rest of the unit, if the connectors will fit, or anything like that. We would have liked to have released this generation as an HDMI 2.1 platform, but outside factors determined that we could not wait any longer.

The new AVRs do support different crossovers per speaker pair.

#3 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. The AVR20 combined with two of the soon released PA410's would be a nice system to drive a 9.1.6 setup.

It is a shame they have no plans to release a PA810 as it would have resulted in a minimalistic two box solution.

#25 ·
I would assume they are trying to fulfill the standard setups with the least amount of PA-variants needed.

Likely these combos:

AVR10/20/30: 7.1
AVR10/20/30 + PA410: 7.1.4
AVR20/30 + 2xPA410: 9.1.6

Or replace AVR10/20/30 with AV40 + PA720, and the same would apply.

#5 ·
Indeed, as did the press releases. Maybe they need to invest in a proof reader.

#6 ·
Not sure how I missed the new Arcam HDA line info, but the AVR10 checks every single box I wanted in order to jump up to a Dirac offering (the NAD T778 was almost it but I changed my mind on that).

1) How has Arcams reliability usually been on new product launches? I know to always expect a few firmware fixes here and there, but are they usually like a more mainstream brand in that headaches are minimum or are they potentially like an Emotiva where you might have to learn to live with it (such as the HDMI handshake issues)?

2) For anyone who saw these in person or knows more about them, will they include an OSD? I believe I saw mention of the pre/pro having one in another thread but wasn't positive.

3) Is it advised to get a UMIK-1 to use instead of the included microphone?

4) Any good online dealer recommendation for the States? And is pricing under MSRP usually available?

Thanks!

#8 ·
IIRC from the Harman video at Cedia, all the 16 ch models had the same processing and features, the differences were amplification (if it had any and if so, what class).

Has anyone heard if that’s correct or if features differ?

I keep seeing Roon and MQA come up, but nothing on the spec sheet or on the logo banner across the face plate of licensed tech. Can anyone confirm if these are going to be there?

Lastly, has anyone heard when these should be shipping in the US? The have an AVR 20 on order but am unsure when to expect it, and if some features are only on the AV 40 I can check with my dealer about changing my order.

#10 ·
My guess it is for IP management, not sure why it would be needed on an amp though.

#12 ·
Any guesses on if the onboard amps on the AVR10 will be completely assignable? I have a 5 channel amp that I'd like to off-load the LCR and Surr R+L onto and just run my four Atmos heights from the onboard amps...but not sure if that is allowed or if I have to use an external amp for the second pair of heights (based on the speaker post labels on the back).

#16 ·
I'm interested in the AVR10, but I would like to know if they use 24 or 12dB rolloff filters for the crossover.
I tried the AVR390 in the past, but returned it because the 12db rolloff filters caused issues with my bass.

#17 ·
Is that even relevant if you use the Dirac Live Bass Management module?

#23 ·
How buggy are these Arcam AVRs expected to be compared to the previous/current generation? I ask because someone posted this link in another thread:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new.../post-27488988

I'm willing to spend a significant premium on the AVR30 over the Anthem MRX 1120, but I want to make sure that I don't have any issues.

#28 ·
Any information on release/shipping date on these?

#29 ·
I have not seen any public official release/shipping date announced by Arcam yet. Perhaps it also differs per country.

The Articles linked to in the OP says they should be available in October. Some other info online says October/November. When checking some European online stores, I've seen everything from "in stock" to "sometime in November".

#34 ·
Does anyone know what the difference would be between the Lexicon RV-9 and Arcam AVR30?

More generally, how do Lexicon and Arcam compare now that they're both owned by Harman?

#35 ·
Seems these have been released in the US with a show stopping bug in the firmware, the UK release has been delayed because of this.

Apparently they are having to re-write the entire firmware from scratch to resolve the issue.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ne...ivers-power-amps-and-processor.2248472/page-2

So the previous FMJ generation still has bugs in the firmware that Arcam is aware of but has not fixed over eight months after being reported & confirm by Arcam themselves.

Add to this the new line also has been released with bugs in the firmware. :rolleyes:

#36 ·
Auditioned the Arcam HDA 20 and 30 Today

I received a call from my Magnolia salesman at the Northern Virginia Magnolia Design Center who informed me that they had the new lineup of Arcam HDA receivers in place for listening and comparing. I couldn't wait to go there! First, I want to say that the appearance of the new receivers are awesome and look totally updated compared to the FMJ series. The display window is larger and they look much more contemporary. So I listened to music first: The Eagles Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over live concert DVD in DTS audio (which I brought along), and then a couple of movie clips from the Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Ultra 4K Blu-ray disk. They were switched thru the B&W 702S2s that I own so I had a real comparison of the two new HDA AVRs as they would sound in my room. I was totally impressed with the quality of the sound from both the 20 and 30 series! I did not listen to the 10. And since I use my AVR for 98% movies and TV watching the 20 is my target AVR. I realized that the additional $2000 for the 30 would be better used towards part of the purchase of a new OLED TV which I am also looking for. So anyone in the metro Washington, DC area can audition these at the Fair Lakes Best Buy/Magnolia store.

#44 ·
That's what I was thinking. This makes me very nervous though as I will be purchasing a new receiver in the next 2-4 months. I was all set to get the Anthem MRX 1120 (or its replacement) for only $3,500.00, but then I heard about how much better Dirac is, and on paper, it looks like the AVR30 would be a substantial upgrade in sound quality. On the other hand, Anthem's OS seems to be more stable than Arcam's. Luckily I have a few months for it all to get sorted out.

#48 ·
Dirac Live functionality for AVR10/20/30 & AV40

Since I was curious about what Dirac Live room correction functionality AVR10/20/30 & AV40 have, I contacted the Arcam support.

This is the info I got:

* They will support three Dirac calibration slots. The previous AVR generation only supported one slot.

* The first level of the Dirac Live Bass Management will come as standard with the AVRs -- that being the Tier 3 single sub crossover management. Tier 2 will be $200, with Tier 1 being $400. There is currently no word on how these prices will convert to local markets with only the USD having been announced. These modules are purchased directly from Dirac although there is currently no specific date on when they will be released.

More information about Dirac Live Bass management in general can be found on the Dirac website here, here and here. The first link says Tier 2 costs $249, which contradicts the price info for that Tier above, so I'm not sure which is correct. Also, some quoted info from the second link about the different Tiers:

"Tier 1 allows management of any number of subwoofers, analyzing each one to create a single-optimized sub channel that drives each subwoofer. It also enables precise control of frequency cutoffs for all speakers. Tier 2 offers advanced setup for a single subwoofer, while also providing control over parameters and applying frequency filters to all speakers based on measurements. Tier 3 is a free module for all current Dirac Live customers and OEMs, permitting standard bass management with the added benefit of predictive results."

#49 · (Edited)
I posted on the UK forum SoundVideo username. In short, Magnolia (BB) needed to get product into their facility by a deadline or they missed the crucial Christmas rush. So they air freighted some in from Vietnam (the production faculty) to the States. A Magnolia US store might have one.

Here in AZ, a customer of mine (who is head of a very large IT department) and bought a AVR850 from me, was at a local Magnolia. He saw it, touched it, and operated the user interface, listened to etc. In short, it works, no one "had to scrap all of the firmware", etc. Will there be a bug or three? I expect some. Actually, I will be shocked if it doesn't. Just as I expect bugs from every single boutique vendor. After all, I fully predict they are modifying code as we speak. That isn't internal info; rather a pretty solid prediction.

Personally, I ordered up a motherload of the Arcam prepro and receivers. The batch is expected to hit the USA in a couple of weeks. I expect to take in a lot of trades because of Dirac and the price point. The new platform is more flexible, more feature, more channels, I'm told it sounds better, and it costs less than the predecessor. That's a solid formula for selling a lot especially BECAUSE it has Dirac.

All that said, I'm surprise how a random poster (post count totaling 2) on a UK AV board was able to spook so many people.:confused: