The *official* McIntosh MX123 A/V Processor Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Michaeldef
  • 1 Post By Maddog56
  • 1 Post By RaceCarDriver

post #1 of 18 Old 11-02-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The *official* McIntosh MX123 A/V Processor Thread

McIntosh MX123 A/V Processor

PRODUCT PAGE : https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/product...ocessors/MX123
PRODUCT MANUAL : https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/media...123-om-01.ashx
PRODUCT BROCHURE : https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/media...-35110000.ashx

The MX123 A/V Processor marries a long tradition of uncompromising McIntosh sound quality with the latest home theater technologies to bring you an unsurpassed luxury home entertainment experience. It is compatible with all the leading home theater surround sound and object-based 3D audio formats including Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X™ and Auro-3D®. It’s also fully compatible with modern 4K Ultra HD video sources and can upscale lower resolutions to 4K Ultra HD for the best possible picture quality.

The MX123 features upgraded digital audio processing capabilities that results in 2 more discrete audio channels, bringing the MX123 to 13.2 discrete audio channels compared to 11.2 in the previous model. These 13.2 discrete channels are available via both balanced and unbalanced audio outputs that can be used in a variety of home theater speaker configurations; 2 additional unbalanced outputs offer further connection flexibility. DSD and ALAC playback support have been doubled to DSD128 and ALAC 192kHz for better high resolution audio performance.

For the video needs of your home theater, the MX123 has 7 HDMI inputs and 3 HDMI outputs, with each being HDCP 2.2/2.3 compliant. They all also have 18Gbps of bandwidth to support High Dynamic Range (HDR) formats Dolby Vision™, HDR10 and HLG; 4K Ultra HD at 50/60Hz; 4:4:4 color spacing; Rec. 2020; and 3D video pass-through. Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) functionality is included on 1 of the HDMI outputs. eARC offers improved bandwidth so the MX123 can receive higher resolution audio from your TV to produce the best possible sound quality. Additional connections include: 4 digital audio inputs; 1 balanced and 8 unbalanced analog stereo audio inputs (including 1 dedicated as a Moving Magnet phono input to connect a turntable); an unbalanced 7.1 multi-channel audio input; 3 component and 4 composite video inputs; 1 USB Type A input; 2 unbalanced analog stereo outputs; and 2 composite and 1 component video outputs.

An exciting new feature on the MX123 is IMAX® Enhanced. IMAX Enhanced is a set of stringent performance standards established by IMAX and DTS® to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices. It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of the DTS:X codec technology included in the MX123 to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience in your home theater.

Streaming options1 on the MX123 have been upgraded from the previous model. The MX123 now includes Apple® AirPlay 2® along with Bluetooth® and Spotify Connect for easy streaming from your mobile devices. AirPlay 2 is an Apple technology designed to control home audio systems and speakers in any room – with a tap or by just asking Siri – right from an iPhone®, iPad®, HomePod™, or Apple TV®. It offers multiroom audio, Siri voice control, and enhanced playback. TuneIn is also included for further music streaming options – including McIntosh Music. To assist with streaming performance and reliability, wireless connectivity has been improved to include 2.4/5GHz dual band support.

Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 is included and will calibrate the MX123 to your home theater’s unique acoustical properties, letting it deliver the clearest and most balanced earth-shattering sound possible. Each discrete audio channel has its own 32-bit premium Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) to produce the best audio quality. Bass and treble tone controls plus a 9-band equalizer offer additional fine-tuning. The MX123 also gives you the flexibility to create 2 additional zones in your house and send select audio and/or video to each zone.

The MX123 can be paired with a variety of home theater amplifiers such as our MC303, MC255, MC257, MC8207, MI128 or MI254 amplifiers and any of our floor standing, in-wall or in-ceiling speakers to create an enviable and enjoyable cinema experience in the comfort of your home. Front panel buttons or a comprehensive remote control allow for easy system operation. It’s complete with McIntosh design fundamentals of a backlit black glass front panel with an illuminated logo, control knobs, an easy to read display, and aluminum end caps. Contact your local dealer to learn more.

S P E C I F I C A T I O N S

Frequency Response:
±0.5dB from 20Hz-20kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion:
0.005% maximum from 20Hz to 20kHz

Rated Output Voltage:
2.5 Vrms Unbalanced
5.0 Vrms Balanced

Inputs:
9 Stereo (8 unbalanced + 1 balanced)
7 HDMI
4 Composite
3 Component
2 Optical
2 Coax
1 Multi-channel 7.1 (unbalanced)

Outputs:
15 Balanced (configured for 13.2)
17 Unbalanced (configured for 13.2)
3 HDMI (1 is eARC)
2 Composite (1 for zone B)
2 Stereo (unbalanced for zones B & C)
1 Component

Video Processing:
4K Ultra HD native sources,
Upconverting to 4K Ultra HD
High Dynamic Range (HDR): Dolby
Vision, HDR10, HLG
IMAX Enhanced
Audio Processing:
Dolby: Atmos, TrueHD plus
legacy formats
DTS: DTS:X/Virtual:X/HDMaster Audio
plus legacy formats
Auro: 3D, Auro-Matic, 9.1, 10.1
IMAX Enhanced

Control:
Remote control, network, RS232

Overall Dimensions (W x H x D):
17-1/2” (44.45cm) x 7-5/8” (19.37cm)
including feet x 19-1/2” (49.53cm)
including the front panel, knobs & cables
Weight:
31 lbs (14 kg) net,
55 lbs (25 kg) in shipping carton

Mine arrives home early this week ... will report back with findings and photos.

Cheers

Last edited by Dunnie; 11-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 241
So, what OEM made this one?

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
post #3 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
So, what OEM made this one?
Sound United I guess, check out the Marantz 8805, looks strikingly similar in the rear !
LydMekk likes this.

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection

Last edited by Michaeldef; 11-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
Sound United I guess, check out the Marantz 8805, looks strikingly similar in the rear !
From an article ...

"He stressed, however, that production of hand-built McIntosh products would continue in the company's Binghamton, N.Y., factory and not be shifted to D&M's Japan factory."

Is this not the case ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
From an article ...

"He stressed, however, that production of hand-built McIntosh products would continue in the company's Binghamton, N.Y., factory and not be shifted to D&M's Japan factory."

Is this not the case ?

I would agree, It is a beautiful piece as all McIntosh are, I like how they kept Dolby PL2 X-Z also, Enjoy it sir,you will love it, What amps you going to use ?

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #6 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldef View Post
I would agree, It is a beautiful piece as all McIntosh are, I like how they kept Dolby PL2 X-Z also, Enjoy it sir,you will love it, What amps you going to use ?
Arrived today - will be using this with an MC-152 and a 6 channel Rotel. I love the new multi channel amp that was just released by McIntosh ... but i need to let me wallet cool off before thinking about that.

Anyway ... ill be setting this thing up Thursday ... looks like many enhancements over my older MX121.

Cheers
post #7 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ok .. so.got this thing unpacked and setup last Friday and was able to watch a couple of my favorite movies. I will put together a full review sometime this week. But here are my first impressions.

1. Aesthetics and build have really been unaltered since the 121. This is expected and a good thing. Build quality seems the same to me.

2. Audysee update is nice ...basically the same with additional support for more speakers.

3. I did have a weird issue with Bluetooth... It paired fine ... But would not play anything from my Pixel2XL or my Surface. Support was stellar as usual, eventually troubleshooting led to a factory reset and firmware update ... Which is a bit odd considering I checked the firmware for update before resetting. Anyway ... The reset fixed all problems and Bluetooth audio works great.

4. I don't know if I have something set differently , but my 123 plays louder in general compared to my 121 ... Perhaps it's the updated audysee settings ... I have some stuff turned on that I normally disable (auto dynamic levels etc)

Overall this thing sounds amazing running to my Nautilus 803 based 5.1 setup.

Can't wait to get more impressions.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates on the 123? I'm looking at purchasing one but still on the fence.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Hagen View Post
Any updates on the 123? I'm looking at purchasing one but still on the fence.
Been working my ass of this week .. will have more time to play with it this weekend. Im looking forward to other owners chiming in. Is there anything you'd like me to try out.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Been working my ass of this week .. will have more time to play with it this weekend. Im looking forward to other owners chiming in. Is there anything you'd like me to try out.

To let you know what I’m going through, I bought the MX123 processor and the MC257 amplifier and two MI128 8 channel digital amplifiers and one MPC1500 power controller. I hooked the two MI128s to zone 2 and 3 to the analog audio outputs and when I was playing the music through my house through Apple Airplay the music would drop off for 5 seconds and go back on constantly. So as I was troubleshooting I hooked up a CD player to the CD output on the processor and I still had the same problem; music would drop out. I tried Bluetooth and audio engine B1 and everything still acted the same. The music would drop out, no matter what I tried. So I called for support and they recommended me to go back to factory reset and try it again. It played fine for four hours, then started the same problem. Music drops out for 5 seconds and then comes back on. So I quit for the day, and tried it for two or three days and the same thing continued happening. A day passed and I tried it again. Then it would drop out every 20 seconds. Then it dropped out one of the 8 channel amplifiers and shut it down. There was no music input to it. I want you to know this is my second MX123 in the last two weeks. I experienced the same problems with the second one as I did the first one. I really enjoy McIntosh. I own a C2600, an MC462, an MC500 and an MPC1500 that I bought all new 4 months ago and I really enjoy it on my analog system. If anybody has any advice, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Hayes View Post
To let you know what I’m going through, I bought the MX123 processor and the MC257 amplifier and two MI128 8 channel digital amplifiers and one MPC1500 power controller. I hooked the two MI128s to zone 2 and 3 to the analog audio outputs and when I was playing the music through my house through Apple Airplay the music would drop off for 5 seconds and go back on constantly. So as I was troubleshooting I hooked up a CD player to the CD output on the processor and I still had the same problem; music would drop out. I tried Bluetooth and audio engine B1 and everything still acted the same. The music would drop out, no matter what I tried. So I called for support and they recommended me to go back to factory reset and try it again. It played fine for four hours, then started the same problem. Music drops out for 5 seconds and then comes back on. So I quit for the day, and tried it for two or three days and the same thing continued happening. A day passed and I tried it again. Then it would drop out every 20 seconds. Then it dropped out one of the 8 channel amplifiers and shut it down. There was no music input to it. I want you to know this is my second MX123 in the last two weeks. I experienced the same problems with the second one as I did the first one. I really enjoy McIntosh. I own a C2600, an MC462, an MC500 and an MPC1500 that I bought all new 4 months ago and I really enjoy it on my analog system. If anybody has any advice, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
So ... I only have one zone .. your saying that basically playing music of any source will constantly result it the music sporadically dripping out ? I can do a test this weekend for sure ... I am using my phone to play through Bluetooth.

post #12 of 18 Old 11-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So ... I only have one zone .. your saying that basically playing music of any source will constantly result it the music sporadically dripping out ? I can do a test this weekend for sure ... I am using my phone to play through Bluetooth.

I am using zone 2 and zone 3 with two amplifiers to listen to music through my house. Without you simulating what I’m doing, I don’t think you’ll have the same problem. I think it has something to do with using zone 2 and zone 3 with amplifiers.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
From an article ...

Is this not the case ?

Your quote is from 2003 when McIntosh was owned from D&M. While no longer owned I feel like there is still some partnership between the two. I agree the MX123 is very 8805.

McIntosh was purchased by Clarion (car audio) in 1990. In 2003 Clarion sold McIntosh to D&M. It was 2012 that D&M sold McIntosh to Fine Sounds Group of Italy. The main share holder of Fine Sounds Group and Charlie Randall of McIntosh structured a manager buy out of Fine Sounds Group. This purchase was by Fine Sounds SpA in 2014. Fine Sounds SpA then changed their name to the McIntosh Group in 2016. And here we are.

I think I have that all correct.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
McIntosh Power / Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3 / SVS PC4000 Bottom End
post #14 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Your quote is from 2003 when McIntosh was owned from D&M. While no longer owned I feel like there is still some partnership between the two. I agree the MX123 is very 8805.

McIntosh was purchased by Clarion (car audio) in 1990. In 2003 Clarion sold McIntosh to D&M. It was 2012 that D&M sold McIntosh to Fine Sounds Group of Italy. The main share holder of Fine Sounds Group and Charlie Randall of McIntosh structured a manager buy out of Fine Sounds Group. This purchase was by Fine Sounds SpA in 2014. Fine Sounds SpA then changed their name to the McIntosh Group in 2016. And here we are.

I think I have that all correct.
Thanks ! Do they still manufacture out of Binghamton ...

Here is a direct quote from their current website ...

"McIntosh products are designed and handcrafted at our Binghamton, NY factory by our dedicated employees who share a passion for music and the McIntosh heritage."

Last edited by Dunnie; 11-18-2019 at 05:40 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 PM

Yes McIntosh is still made in Binghamton.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 11-24-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Mike D

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Yes Mcintosh is still made in Birmingham.
They are made in Binghamton, NY the Southern Tier of NYS. Audio Classics is a major carrier of McIntosh, they are 2 miles from the plant.
Dunnie likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog56 View Post
They are made in Binghamton, NY the Southern Tier of NYS. Audio Classics is a major carrier of McIntosh, they are 2 miles from the plant.
This is what happens when I reply with my phone.
Dunnie likes this.

post #18 of 18 Old 11-25-2019, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

Does Audyssey MultEQ Editor app iOS works with MX123 ?

Best
Tomek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors