Pioneer Elite SC-LX704 SC-LX904 Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
I think I have a problem with my new Pioneer SC-LX904 receiver processing the correct audio format from my Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player but I am not sure. My system is 7.1.2. What I think is the problem is happening whether it’s a 4K Dolby Atmos or DTS:X disc. This is what is happening:

4K Saving Private Ryan- Dolby Atmos: Player shows it is playing Dolby TrueHD 7.1. Receiver shows Dolby Audio-DD 5.1 input and 7.1.2 Dolby Audio-Surr output. I think the receiver should be getting Dolby TrueHD 7.1 input and Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 output. Similar scenario with DTS:X.

4K Gladiator -DTS:X: Player shows it is playing DTS-HD Master 7.1. Receiver shows DTS 5.1 input and 7.1.2 DTS Neural:X output. I think the receiver should be getting DTS-HD Master 7.1 input and DTS:X 7.1.2 output.

My understanding is that Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X are formats that are employed when true Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X are not available. The receiver is supposed to support both of the higher. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you have your HDMI inputs set to enhanced (p.153):

When an AV component such as a TV or player that supports HDMI 4K is connected to this unit, you can switch the 4K signal format that is input/output by this unit."Standard": When the AV component connected to this unit supports the standard 4K signal format (4K 60p 4:2:0 8bit)."Enhanced": When the AV component connected to this unit and the HDMI cable supports the high-definition 4K signal formats (4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit).Settings and the corresponding resolutions
bslep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Do you have your HDMI inputs set to enhanced (p.153):

When an AV component such as a TV or player that supports HDMI 4K is connected to this unit, you can switch the 4K signal format that is input/output by this unit."Standard": When the AV component connected to this unit supports the standard 4K signal format (4K 60p 4:2:0 8bit)."Enhanced": When the AV component connected to this unit and the HDMI cable supports the high-definition 4K signal formats (4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit).Settings and the corresponding resolutions
Yep. And the player is set to bitstream for both dolby and dts and secondary audio is set to "off"
Dmk300 is offline  
post #153 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
Yep. And the player is set to bitstream for both dolby and dts and secondary audio is set to "off"
If you have a high speed cable and that is not your issue, check your settings on the Panasonic. I have the same player and my HDMI settings are:

Resolution-Auto
4K 60p Output- 4K/60p (4:4:4)
24p Output:- Auto
HDMI Output (Video). - Video+Audio
HDMI Output (Audio)- Audio only
Dolby Vision Setting - off (my TV doesn’t Dolby Vision)
HDR10+ Setting - on

In the advanced settings I have 7.1 ch Audio Reformatting set to off and Audio output set to on.
bslep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
If you have a high speed cable and that is not your issue, check your settings on the Panasonic. I have the same player and my HDMI settings are:

Resolution-Auto
4K 60p Output- 4K/60p (4:4:4)
24p Output:- Auto
HDMI Output (Video). - Video+Audio
HDMI Output (Audio)- Audio only
Dolby Vision Setting - off (my TV doesn’t Dolby Vision)
HDR10+ Setting - on

In the advanced settings I have 7.1 ch Audio Reformatting set to off and Audio output set to on.
Thanks for the input. I changed all my settings to the same values as your system and I still have the same issues. I'm starting to think it is a real problem with the receiver itself.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #155 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
Thanks for the input. I changed all my settings to the same values as your system and I still have the same issues. I'm starting to think it is a real problem with the receiver itself.
Before sending back, try a factory reset and as last resort try another HDMI cable.
bslep is offline  
post #156 of 255 Old 03-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Before sending back, try a factory reset and as last resort try another HDMI cable.
Good suggestions! I've already tried 2 different HDMI cables that are marked "premium certified." I've been reluctant to do a full factory reset because of all the other settings I've customized but it may be the last resort. Thanks much!
Dmk300 is offline  
post #157 of 255 Old 03-12-2020, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
dscottj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
I think I have a problem with my new Pioneer SC-LX904 receiver processing the correct audio format from my Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player but I am not sure.

Was your player sending the correct formats to the receiver you had before this one? Whenever I get a new device, I usually have to dig through the settings to make sure it sends the correct formats, or lets the receiver decide instead of the player. IME manufacturers usually configure things so they know the device will work out of the box, instead of taking maximum advantage of the equipment the user has.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
dscottj is offline  
post #158 of 255 Old 03-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Was your player sending the correct formats to the receiver you had before this one? Whenever I get a new device, I usually have to dig through the settings to make sure it sends the correct formats, or lets the receiver decide instead of the player. IME manufacturers usually configure things so they know the device will work out of the box, instead of taking maximum advantage of the equipment the user has.
This is my first receiver that will do Dolby Atmos/DTS:X
Dmk300 is offline  
post #159 of 255 Old 03-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
I think I have a problem with my new Pioneer SC-LX904 receiver processing the correct audio format from my Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player but I am not sure. My system is 7.1.2. What I think is the problem is happening whether it’s a 4K Dolby Atmos or DTS:X disc. This is what is happening:

4K Saving Private Ryan- Dolby Atmos: Player shows it is playing Dolby TrueHD 7.1. Receiver shows Dolby Audio-DD 5.1 input and 7.1.2 Dolby Audio-Surr output. I think the receiver should be getting Dolby TrueHD 7.1 input and Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 output. Similar scenario with DTS:X.

4K Gladiator -DTS:X: Player shows it is playing DTS-HD Master 7.1. Receiver shows DTS 5.1 input and 7.1.2 DTS Neural:X output. I think the receiver should be getting DTS-HD Master 7.1 input and DTS:X 7.1.2 output.

My understanding is that Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X are formats that are employed when true Dolby Atmos and/or DTS:X are not available. The receiver is supposed to support both of the higher. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
So, it looks like my problem is with the Blu-Ray player. I tried the player with 2 different receivers, the Pioneer SC-LX904 and a Marantz SR6014 and had the same problem: player shows a 7.1 Dolby TueHD or DTS-HD Master and the receivers both show a 5 channel input. Neither receiver played Doby Atmos or DTS:X. I then tried a Sony player with the same cable into both receivers and they both showed Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.

The player is set to bitstream for both Dolby and DTS and secondary audio is set to off. Any ideas before I ditch this player?
Dmk300 is offline  
post #160 of 255 Old 03-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
dscottj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
The player is set to bitstream for both Dolby and DTS and secondary audio is set to off. Any ideas before I ditch this player?

If it's an available option, set those to "auto." Also, make sure you've got the latest firmware installed. If you're a big fan of that player, you can set it to PCM and it'll do the decoding for you and send the results to the receiver. Otherwise (if it was a couple of years old), I'd give it the boot.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
dscottj is offline  
post #161 of 255 Old 03-16-2020, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
So, it looks like my problem is with the Blu-Ray player.
...
The player is set to bitstream for both Dolby and DTS and secondary audio is set to off. Any ideas before I ditch this player?
Hi Dmk300, try resetting the blu-ray player.

- turn the unit on
- press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds
- “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display
- press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display
- press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds
JChin is offline  
post #162 of 255 Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
Good suggestions! I've already tried 2 different HDMI cables that are marked "premium certified." I've been reluctant to do a full factory reset because of all the other settings I've customized but it may be the last resort. Thanks much!
Have you figured it out yet? Had a SC-LX701 that I could play Xbox games in HDR from but now I just set up a SC-LX904 and now no HDR gaming.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
shandito is online now  
post #163 of 255 Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 PM
Member
 
googleli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello folks! Looking to buy a 704 or 904. Is there any noticeable difference in terms of picture and sound quality between the two, when it comes to pre-amp function? I have separate power amps for my front, centre and surround speakers. The amp will only be directly connected to the four ceiling Atmos speakers.
googleli is offline  
post #164 of 255 Old 03-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Dmk300, try resetting the blu-ray player.

- turn the unit on
- press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds
- “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display
- press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display
- press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds
Thanks, tried it..no luck
Dmk300 is offline  
post #165 of 255 Old 03-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandito View Post
Have you figured it out yet? Had a SC-LX701 that I could play Xbox games in HDR from but now I just set up a SC-LX904 and now no HDR gaming.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Nope, pretty sure it is the player.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #166 of 255 Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmk300 View Post
Nope, pretty sure it is the player.
Can’t recall if you had this setting appropriately:

When connecting this unit to a TV via an HDMI VIDEO OUT and to an amplifier/ receiver via an HDMI AUDIO OUT, set “HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode” to “Auto ( Video Only / Video+Audio )”. ( 11, 29)
bslep is offline  
post #167 of 255 Old 03-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Can’t recall if you had this setting appropriately:

When connecting this unit to a TV via an HDMI VIDEO OUT and to an amplifier/ receiver via an HDMI AUDIO OUT, set “HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode” to “Auto ( Video Only / Video+Audio )”. ( 11, 29)
Good suggestion, tried it with no luck.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #168 of 255 Old 03-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my SC-LX904 is stripping my video signal to my Q90R, my SC-LX701 let more pass through. What am I doing wrong? Dolby Vision is the only thing my TV doesn't support. The linked pictures explain better. The one labeled "XBOX One" by the TV is the 701.

Xbox signal passing through the AVR https://imgur.com/gallery/Dd8QxiY
shandito is online now  
post #169 of 255 Old 03-18-2020, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 334
@Dmk300
on my Marantz pre-amp and receiver, they both have an option listed as sound mode and that allows me to take an ATMOS signal and play only the Dolby TrueHD layer or a DTS:X signal and play only the DTS-HD-MA layer or combo of anything to include Dolby Surround or DTS: Neural X

perhaps you need to toggle through these options while using the player with an ATMOS/DTS:X source and it should pop up as a selection.

also, most modern receivers allow you to set what you want on a "per input" basis so if that's an option, each hdmi input can be told to play a particular audio effect. perhaps your receiver offers such a feature.

found this out because I had changed the audio option for something and forgot, went to play ATMOS and it wouldn't play, had to go back and reset it to what it needed to be to give me ATMOS.

hope this helps.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XSP-1, XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps, ATV4K 32gb
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
solarrdadd is online now  
post #170 of 255 Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not only do I have no HDR via games, I also have no Atmos.... Pioneer has "passed my issues to their engineers".
shandito is online now  
post #171 of 255 Old 03-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
@Dmk300
on my Marantz pre-amp and receiver, they both have an option listed as sound mode and that allows me to take an ATMOS signal and play only the Dolby TrueHD layer or a DTS:X signal and play only the DTS-HD-MA layer or combo of anything to include Dolby Surround or DTS: Neural X

perhaps you need to toggle through these options while using the player with an ATMOS/DTS:X source and it should pop up as a selection.

also, most modern receivers allow you to set what you want on a "per input" basis so if that's an option, each hdmi input can be told to play a particular audio effect. perhaps your receiver offers such a feature.

found this out because I had changed the audio option for something and forgot, went to play ATMOS and it wouldn't play, had to go back and reset it to what it needed to be to give me ATMOS.

hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried cycling around all the surround formats and Dolby Atmos or DTS:X never come up. Tried it with the source playing. No luck.
Dmk300 is offline  
post #172 of 255 Old 03-22-2020, 04:18 AM
Member
 
aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
is anyone using an Apple TV 4K with Dolby Vision turned on with these receivers.

I have an SC-LX904, and i find the 4k pass through settings and auto signal detection a bit finicky.

Here's examples of what I'm running into:

If i put the Apple TV Dolby Vision ON, it does not pass any signal to my LG 4k OLED (c9).

If I put it in 4k HDR it will show the apple tv home screen grid in HDR10, and when I play Dolby Vision content it will flip to transmitting in dolby vision signal (you have to set the apple tv to match content range & frame rate)
What I find though is that when I turn the apple tv to sleep (which triggers the tv/receiver to both turn off via CEC) and then turn it on, the receiver detects the apple tv signal initially but then it flips to another output e.g. TV or BD (even though there is no video signal coming from those sources)

If I put it in 4k SDR, the home grid now shows with crushed colors and blacks, but it still will switch to DV and play the 4k Dolby Vision content in DV with the same match content/range turned on, and it feels like the Pioneer picks up the signal of the apple tv unit faster at this 4k SDR resolution, when it first turns on, so it appears to hunt less for signal from the other sources (if that makes any sense)

I'd love to be able to default it to just Dolby Vision ON and things would just work.

NOTE: If I hook the Apple 4k directly via the same cables to the TV, I am able to just set it and forget it with the Dolby Vision turned on all the time, and there are no signal detection issues between the tv and the apple tv, so clearly something is being lost in translation at the receiver level.

I've got the HDMI 4K Signal Format setting on the receiver set to Enhanced, but any other settings I should try fiddling with?
aditya is offline  
post #173 of 255 Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya View Post
is anyone using an Apple TV 4K with Dolby Vision turned on with these receivers.

I have an SC-LX904, and i find the 4k pass through settings and auto signal detection a bit finicky.

Here's examples of what I'm running into:

If i put the Apple TV Dolby Vision ON, it does not pass any signal to my LG 4k OLED (c9).

If I put it in 4k HDR it will show the apple tv home screen grid in HDR10, and when I play Dolby Vision content it will flip to transmitting in dolby vision signal (you have to set the apple tv to match content range & frame rate)
What I find though is that when I turn the apple tv to sleep (which triggers the tv/receiver to both turn off via CEC) and then turn it on, the receiver detects the apple tv signal initially but then it flips to another output e.g. TV or BD (even though there is no video signal coming from those sources)

If I put it in 4k SDR, the home grid now shows with crushed colors and blacks, but it still will switch to DV and play the 4k Dolby Vision content in DV with the same match content/range turned on, and it feels like the Pioneer picks up the signal of the apple tv unit faster at this 4k SDR resolution, when it first turns on, so it appears to hunt less for signal from the other sources (if that makes any sense)

I'd love to be able to default it to just Dolby Vision ON and things would just work.

NOTE: If I hook the Apple 4k directly via the same cables to the TV, I am able to just set it and forget it with the Dolby Vision turned on all the time, and there are no signal detection issues between the tv and the apple tv, so clearly something is being lost in translation at the receiver level.

I've got the HDMI 4K Signal Format setting on the receiver set to Enhanced, but any other settings I should try fiddling with?
According to Pioneer their receivers are not compatible with Apple TV Dolby Vision. From what they say is that it's a problem with Apple TV device itself but who knows. However, like others here I'm having issue with 4k HDR above 30hz with my 904. I've been waiting on a return call from Pioneer for over a month but it's obviously a known issue.
Tresnugget is offline  
post #174 of 255 Old 03-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya View Post
is anyone using an Apple TV 4K with Dolby Vision turned on with these receivers.

I have an SC-LX904, and i find the 4k pass through settings and auto signal detection a bit finicky.

Here's examples of what I'm running into:

If i put the Apple TV Dolby Vision ON, it does not pass any signal to my LG 4k OLED (c9).

If I put it in 4k HDR it will show the apple tv home screen grid in HDR10, and when I play Dolby Vision content it will flip to transmitting in dolby vision signal (you have to set the apple tv to match content range & frame rate)
What I find though is that when I turn the apple tv to sleep (which triggers the tv/receiver to both turn off via CEC) and then turn it on, the receiver detects the apple tv signal initially but then it flips to another output e.g. TV or BD (even though there is no video signal coming from those sources)

If I put it in 4k SDR, the home grid now shows with crushed colors and blacks, but it still will switch to DV and play the 4k Dolby Vision content in DV with the same match content/range turned on, and it feels like the Pioneer picks up the signal of the apple tv unit faster at this 4k SDR resolution, when it first turns on, so it appears to hunt less for signal from the other sources (if that makes any sense)

I'd love to be able to default it to just Dolby Vision ON and things would just work.

NOTE: If I hook the Apple 4k directly via the same cables to the TV, I am able to just set it and forget it with the Dolby Vision turned on all the time, and there are no signal detection issues between the tv and the apple tv, so clearly something is being lost in translation at the receiver level.

I've got the HDMI 4K Signal Format setting on the receiver set to Enhanced, but any other settings I should try fiddling with?
But being that you have a C9, you should just enable eARC on your TV and plug the Apple TV into another HDMI port on the set and it should work just fine. That how I've been getting around my issue.
Tresnugget is offline  
post #175 of 255 Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have an Xbox One X hooked up to their 904 outputting Dolby Atmos? My Xbox outputs Atmos perfectly on my SC-LX701, but two SC-LX904s later and it only outputs Atmos as PCM. My ARC from my TV however comes in as Dolby Atmos.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
shandito is online now  
post #176 of 255 Old 03-27-2020, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Prietz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
@shandito and @Tresnugget

Maybe this is a good read, from way back in this thread From fellow member @aditya .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya View Post
Got my lx904 in this week. The first unit that came had a faulty center channel and the fan would run often and quite loud, got a new replacement shipped out right away. So far so good with the 2nd unit.

One interesting learning re Dolby Vision. I have an Apple 4k TV and have had the resolution working fine when the appletv was set to output 4k+Dolby Vision between the Apple and my LG 4K OLED.

With the Pioneer in between, the Apple 4k TV was no longer sending a video signal if toggled to the 4k Dolby Vision setting. (this happened on both units)

Instead we had to set it one setting lower to 4k HDR on the Apple TV and then turn on the content matching settings (to match frame rate and dynamic content).

That then renders the Apple TV interface on the TV via the 4k HDR signal, but then also for Dolby Vision content it detects and switches the format and the tv recognizes the dolby vision format/content signal being sent through when movies with dolby vision are actually playing.

So something odd happening in that intermediate handshake between the apple tv, receiver and LG tv at the original setting, but at least the workaround gets the intended 4k dolby vision signal through at the end. Here's info on the apple settings for reference - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

Display.....| TV: Panasonic Viera TX-55CX800
Audio.......| Receiver: Pioneer SC-LX 704 (Pioneer Elite SC-LX 704) | Speakers: 2x Dali Oberon 5 for Fronts | 2x Dali Alteco C-1 Upfiring (Atmos) | Dali Zensor Pico for rears
Source.....| HTPC: Using AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 32GB Kodi and MPC-HC on Windows 10
Prietz0r is offline  
post #177 of 255 Old 03-27-2020, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post
@shandito and @Tresnugget



Maybe this is a good read, from way back in this thread From fellow member @aditya .
This seems like my similar situation. I'm not trying to pass Dolby Vision as my TV (Q90R) doesn't support it, but I have tried dropping the resolution on the Xbox to 1080p and "allowing 4K" for native 4K apps and games, but still no HDR for games and no Dolby Atmos.
I certainly think it is a handshake issue since the Xbox gives me everything (HDR for movies/apps AND games, all frame rates, Dolby Atmos) with the Pio SC-LX701 and a Yamaha RX-A680 (except Dolby Vision because of the TV)
I feel I can configure the settings properly since I manage to get it right on multiple devices, one of them happens to be a nearly identical GUI. It legit seems like turning the HDMI to Enhanced in the menu does nothing.

The OLDER devices even tell my TV it is an Xbox One, and turns the source into an Xbox logo and Xbox controller smh.


Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
shandito is online now  
post #178 of 255 Old 03-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Prietz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandito View Post
This seems like my similar situation. I'm not trying to pass Dolby Vision as my TV (Q90R) doesn't support it, but I have tried dropping the resolution on the Xbox to 1080p and "allowing 4K" for native 4K apps and games, but still no HDR for games and no Dolby Atmos.
I certainly think it is a handshake issue since the Xbox gives me everything (HDR for movies/apps AND games, all frame rates, Dolby Atmos) with the Pio SC-LX701 and a Yamaha RX-A680 (except Dolby Vision because of the TV)
I feel I can configure the settings properly since I manage to get it right on multiple devices, one of them happens to be a nearly identical GUI. It legit seems like turning the HDMI to Enhanced in the menu does nothing.

The OLDER devices even tell my TV it is an Xbox One, and turns the source into an Xbox logo and Xbox controller smh.


Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
And did you enable the HDMI Enhanced mode on the SC-LX704?

Display.....| TV: Panasonic Viera TX-55CX800
Audio.......| Receiver: Pioneer SC-LX 704 (Pioneer Elite SC-LX 704) | Speakers: 2x Dali Oberon 5 for Fronts | 2x Dali Alteco C-1 Upfiring (Atmos) | Dali Zensor Pico for rears
Source.....| HTPC: Using AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 32GB Kodi and MPC-HC on Windows 10
Prietz0r is offline  
post #179 of 255 Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post
And did you enable the HDMI Enhanced mode on the SC-LX704?
I'm using a 904, and yes. System Setup>Input/Output Assign>TV Out / OSD>HDMI 4K Signal Format>Enhanced.
On the 701 it is enabled by using a hardware combination button press on the front panel.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
shandito is online now  
post #180 of 255 Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 193
New firmware update was released 3/12/20:

Firmware Update Elite SC-LX704, SC-LX904 (03-12-2020)
We are pleased to offer this firmware update for the best possible performance of your Elite AV Receiver.
This update may be installed via USB or Network. We recommend USB for faster, more reliable installation.
SC-LX704, SC-LX904
(Current Version R112-0302-0230-0228)
The 03/12/2020 update will address the following
and includes previous updates:
1. Support "Volume Pass Through" mode for Sonos.*
*For detail about updated function, please refer to the link below.
https://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/m...supple_704.pdf
2. Update Chromecast built-in version to 1.40.
3. Improve the list viewing for ''Albums/ Artists/ Songs'' in My Music of Amazon Music.
4. Fix the issue of Bluetooth connection with certain iOS devices.
bslep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off