Help me fix sound mode switching on Marantz AV equipment. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question Help me fix sound mode switching on Marantz AV equipment.

Dear members. I have been having issues with Marantz AV equipment, namely with the automatic sound mode switching. Thisnonly affects those with height channels.I have been in contact with Marantz multiple times for the last few years. As far as I can see all Marantz AV equipment is affected. From the cheapest receiver up to the 8805 processor. I am asking you to call/email Marantz to get this fixed.
The issue is that the receiver won’t automatically switch between 2d and 3d audioformats without enabling the upmixer. I for one would like to have the receiver play what is being put into the machine.
An example.
I want to watch a Netflix show with standard 5.1 sound. I turn on Netflix and start the show. Depending on which sound mode is selected it will play as Dolby Digital +. If not I will select the appropriate mode from the menu (movie - Dolby Digital +). All is fine so far, the receiver will display Dolby Digital + in its display. But the problem is the following. If I now start a show with an Atmos track it will just play as Dolby Digital +. I then need to go into the movie mode menu and select Dolby Atmos, it will then play as Dolby Atmos. But if I go back to a standard 5.1 show that will play as Dolby Digital + + Dolby Surround. I will have to go i to the menu to select Dolby Digital + again to get it to play just that. I hope all of this makes sense.
This issue has been present for years and each time I speak to them they tell me they never heard of the issue and say auto sound mode should do what I want. Except it doesn’t work. If you are experiencing the same issues then please call or send an email to Marantz. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 163
When you have dolby digital + selected, will you start getting heigh channel sound when you start a netflix atmos program?

(Netflix atmos is a DD+ track so it might do the right thing even if atmos isnt shown on the display)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
When you have dolby digital + selected, will you start getting heigh channel sound when you start a netflix atmos program?

(Netflix atmos is a DD+ track so it might do the right thing even if atmos isnt shown on the display)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No. If I have Dolby Digital + selected it won’t play the height channels. It will default to the Dolby Digital + base layer. I need to select Atmos manually, but if I do that then any non atmos signal will play with the upmixer until I select the correspondingly 2d audio mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post
No. If I have Dolby Digital + selected it won’t play the height channels. It will default to the Dolby Digital + base layer. I need to select Atmos manually, but if I do that then any non atmos signal will play with the upmixer until I select the correspondingly 2d audio mode.

Does it do the same with blu-ray Dolby trueHD/Atmos?

Would the smart select buttons on the remote be a good workaround? Im not sure they save the preferred surround mode though.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I do not think your receiver is misbehaving. They are designed to utilise all your speakers. If I watch a news program on TV, (broadcast in Dolby or stereo), then all my 11 speakers are active. It was the same with my previous 7.1 Onkyo, all 7 speakers are active regardless of the number of channels the source material contained.

I think Marantz and AVR manufacturers would get more complaints from people that their speakers were not being used unless they had to keep going into the menus

Like you the only issue I have with my Denon, (same stable as Marantz), is that it does not always recognise Atmos and is not selectable in the menu. I have to switch the AVR off then back on to jog it's memory.

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9

Last edited by Dolus; 11-06-2019 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Does it do the same with blu-ray Dolby trueHD/Atmos?

Would the smart select buttons on the remote be a good workaround? Im not sure they save the preferred surround mode though.
Yes, also with bluray. I could try the smart buttons. But that still requires input to get it playing the correct audio mode. Marantz support even claim that this is how it should work, except it doesn’t.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
I do not think your receiver is misbehaving. They are designed to utilise all your speakers. If I watch a news program on TV, (broadcast in Dolby or stereo), then all my 11 speakers are active. It was the same with my previous 7.1 Onkyo, all 7 speakers are active regardless of the number of channels the source material contained.

I think Marantz and AVR manufacturers would get more complaints from people that their speakers were not being used unless they had to keep going into the menus

Like you the only issue I have with my Denon, (same stable as Marantz), is that it does not always recognise Atmos and is not selectable in the menu. I have to switch the AVR off then back on to jog it's memory.
It should at least save to memory which audio mode will be used per type of input signal. I don’t want my receiver molesting the signal.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If I may ask what are you using for Netflix source. I use the appletv and when a movie has atmos my Marantz will display dolby atmos . If no atmos is on movie it will display Multi in +dolby surround.Even though I don't have an atmos setup.I just have 5.1. In case you are using an appletv check the settings in the apple.Also the sound mode is allways on auto.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.

Last edited by rocky1; 11-06-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6546 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
I would try a soft reset (unplug the AVR for at least 10 minutes), if no joy, a microprocessor reset.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
If I may ask what are you using for Netflix source. I use the appletv and when a movie has atmos my Marantz will display dolby atmos . If no atmos is on movie it will display Multi in +dolby surround.Even though I don't have an atmos setup.I just have 5.1. In case you are using an appletv check the settings in the apple.Also the sound mode is allways on auto.
In this case it is switching from pcm to atmos. I use the internal tv app. But also with discs I encounter the same issue.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I would try a soft reset (unplug the AVR for at least 10 minutes), if no joy, a microprocessor reset.
Sadly this doesn’t work. It really is something in their software.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-09-2019, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Strange that none are bothered by the fact their receiver doesn’t just play what is sent without having to miss atmos or always have the upmixer enabled.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-09-2019, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post
Strange that none are bothered by the fact their receiver doesn’t just play what is sent without having to miss atmos or always have the upmixer enabled.

Some probably are but most seem to want to use all the speakers and the upmixers seem to do a very good job from comments i read. Only use 5.1 myself and have no problems having the right mode.
rocky1 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Denon / Marantz remembers audio settings based on the combination of Input + audio format (DTS, PCM, TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, 2ch, etc.)

So If I play a Multichannel Music BluRay, like the awesome Steven Wilson 'To The Bone' using the TrueHD 5.1 and click the 'Music' selector on the remote, and then select TrueHD + Dolby Surround, I will get an upmix to 5.1.4 using the DSU 'music' mode.

If I then throw a BluRay movie in the player and select a TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack, it will playback with the same upmixer settings as before, as the input and the format remained the same. But in this case, the upmixer mode is not quite right, so one needs to click the 'movie' button, and then select TrueHD + Dolby Surround to now get an upmix using the correct movie mode.

Next, if I put a regular CD in the player, and I had previously selected 2ch for that type, the preamp/receiver will go back to that setting for that format, so I get plain 2ch output from that CD. Nothing else to do.

And finally, if I put in a BluRay movie with an Atmos soundtrack, the unit will automatically goes into Atmos mode with no further user input, as there are no other settings to mess with for that format.

But it sounds like your issue is due to the way Dolby Digital+ streams are handled, as to the unit, that's the same input and audio format (Dobly Digital+), so maybe that's why it's requiring a manual selection step.

What streamer device are u using (TV app, FireTV, AppleTV, etc.) and what streaming service?

I have a Denon X3600 with AppleTV 4K and FireTV 4K, Panasonic UB820 in one system, and a Marantz 8802A and same set of players in another and other than the need to double-check that the DSU mode is movie vs music, I rarely have to mess with anything.
My challenge is often getting the streamer or service selections right so I actually can get Atmos

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , Marantz , processor , receiver , upmixer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page