Looking for an amp for passive speakers to be used in a PC setup (Budget $100-$200) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So I'm going to return the Dayton amp. I was seriously looking at the Onkyo's mentioned, they look nice. I was thinking about maybe getting this Yamaha

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn303bl/yamaha-r-n303-2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/

I like that it has airplay which I will likely use. It is 2 x 100 watts at 8 ohm, which is the max on Kef's 10-100 watt range. The listing does mention some 140 peak. Will this be safe?
That Marantz slim is so nice looking, but unaffordable right now

Edit: I've seen way too many receivers today and didn't realize this Yamaha doesn't have subwoofer out lol.

Last edited by Trojita; 11-08-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post
So I'm going to return the Dayton amp. I was seriously looking at the Onkyo's mentioned, they look nice. I was thinking about maybe getting this Yamaha

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn303bl/yamaha-r-n303-2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/

I like that it has airplay which I will likely use. It is 2 x 100 watts at 8 ohm, which is the max on Kef's 10-100 watt range. The listing does mention some 140 peak. Will this be safe?
That Marantz slim is so nice looking, but unaffordable right now

Edit: I've seen way too many receivers today and didn't realize this Yamaha doesn't have subwoofer out lol.
You'd be fine power wise but this AVR doesn't have a subwoofer out, which I thought you wanted?
post #33 of 39 Old 11-08-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
No.

DAC stands for digital to analog converter. So your computer's built-in DAC is only used if you output audio from the computer's analog port. If, on the other hand, you use USB, it means you are staying in digital domain, which means your built-in DAC isn't doing any converting from digital to analog. Your external USB DAC would be doing it instead.
Got it now, makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You'd be fine power wise but this AVR doesn't have a subwoofer out, which I thought you wanted?
Yeah. My option is a 45 watt 2x Onkyo or the 80 watt 2x. I could save money with the former.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...tereo-receiver
post #35 of 39 Old 11-09-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. My option is a 45 watt 2x Onkyo or the 80 watt 2x. I could save money with the former.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...tereo-receiver
If your budget is tight and you're willing to buy refurb, you might want to shop around for a used one on Craigslist. You can find workable stereo AVRs for as low as $20.
Pete7874 likes this.
post #36 of 39 Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
If the Emotiva had a subwoofer out, I'd go with it.

Regarding the footprint, it's more about the overall size compared to a compact DAC type amp like the SMSL. Not so much the width or height specifically. But like I said, I could make it work. I'd probably have to mount the speakers on stands and move them off my desktop.

The A-100 does not have bass management but it does have line-level outputs that can be combined into one RCA output and connected to a sub with its own DSP, like the entire SVS line of subs. I use an Emotiva DC-1/SP-1 combo ( additional analog inputs for tape and TT ) and feed my SVS sub a full-bandwidth signal and let it handle the crossover. My speakers are the Emotiva Stealth-6 ( powered 210 watts RMS each ) , so I really don't need the sub unless I listen to EDM.
Pete7874 and PlanetAVS like this.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #37 of 39 Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
The A-100 does not have bass management but it does have line-level outputs that can be combined into one RCA output and connected to a sub with its own DSP, like the entire SVS line of subs. I use an Emotiva DC-1/SP-1 combo ( additional analog inputs for tape and TT ) and feed my SVS sub a full-bandwidth signal and let it handle the crossover. My speakers are the Emotiva Stealth-6 ( powered 210 watts RMS each ) , so I really don't need the sub unless I listen to EDM.
I doubt that it's a good idea to wire line level outputs together directly.

With a lot of subs, that wouldn't be necessary: the subs accept stereo line-level inputs, and mix the two to mono.

Some have claimed that their sub does a real crossover function, but all the ones I've looked at just do a passthrough of the line-level signals, and have an adjustable low-pass filter for the sub. Not as good as a full crossover, but quite usable.
post #38 of 39 Old 11-09-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
I had looked at the Eggs but heard they have an annoying auto off function.

That's a bummer that the APA150 might not have a sub out.
I have the KEF Egg (powered) speakers as my 'benchtop' speakers at work, and with a good sub they are the envy of everyone in the 660-person building who has heard them.

Never have I had a problem with any auto-off condition, other than if they don't get a signal eventually they go into a stand0by mode that any device should. All I do it touch the power button on in the morning and keep them playing all day.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #39 of 39 Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Here is another option, if the Onkyo is too wide:
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100

I have one of those to play CDs off an old blu-ray deck in my office, powering a couple of cheap Fluance towers at low volume, and it does so well. Nice clear sound, as typifies Emotiva at every level. Better sound out of the Fluances than when I powered them with an Onkyo TX NR-828.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page