Questions about Heos on Denon AVRs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MRAYB
  • 1 Post By Bimmerx2

post #1 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If I have a Denon AVR with Heos, and I play something to it using the Heos app on a tablet...

1. What shows on the HDTV attached to the AVR? Is there a "now playing" display with song name, album cover, etc?

2. Can you control playback with the AVR remote, like pause, play and skip?

3. If I'm streaming something from Tidal to the AVR using the app,
does the stream go through the app/device to the AVR via wifi? If I turn off the app/device does music keep playing?

4. Can Heos access local music? Is a DLNA server required?

Thinking of upgrading my Denon X3300W to a newer model with Heos, mainly to stream Tidal but also play from my local library without needing Roon or JRiver etc. May also want to add remote Heos speakers at some point, but the house is already wired and I'm using Zone 2 on the AVR for multi-room. Heos sounds like it might be a little more flexible. Any help/advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 800 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23699 Post(s)
Liked: 13048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn865 View Post
If I have a Denon AVR with Heos, and I play something to it using the Heos app on a tablet...

1. What shows on the HDTV attached to the AVR? Is there a "now playing" display with song name, album cover, etc?

does the stream go through the app/device to the AVR via wifi? If I turn off the app/device does music keep playing?

Thinking of upgrading my Denon X3300W to a newer model with Heos, mainly to stream Tidal but also play from my local library without needing Roon or JRiver etc. May also want to add remote Heos speakers at some point, but the house is already wired and I'm using Zone 2 on the AVR for multi-room. Heos sounds like it might be a little more flexible. Any help/advice appreciated.
1. Yes.
2. Yes, with the HEOS app or with the remote if the station is stored to a HEOS Favorite setting on board the AVR.
3. Yes, yes (or least it does for Pandora).
4. Yes, no. https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...a-home-network.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 11-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn865 View Post

works( AVR remote) for Tidal as well. and with Spotify Premium IIRC.

HEOS is good. I have found it to be quite stable. I'd still give the edge to SONOS for the better UI.

but by many respects HEOS is the music "tool" that you never knew you needed, until you start using it. and the whole house capability is great.

i use it almost every day.

Hope it helps

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post

Hope it helps
It does. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't think jdsmoothie answered the question you were asking when you were asking about "local music"

You mean like mp3s/flac files stored on a computer/server located on your network, right? I believe he was answering Yes, you can listen to local radio as in AM/FM stations.

As for playing local files, so far I have not been able to figure out an elegant way to do this with HEOS. It doesn't appear to be native in the app, but I don't have a HEOS enabled receiver and am not a HEOS expert so can't comment on it for sure.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Do you use the Internet Radio services? Either TuneIn or VTuner, depending on what year Denon you get. I also use a tablet for my X4400H. Mainly as a remote for the Heos and Denon Remote 2016 apps. You can add internet radio stations to your Heos account as "favorites". Works great. I have the video select under "options" changed to show all of my pictures from my Amazon Photos via Firestick as a screensaver while playing music. When a song changes it will show the track info for a minute, and then switch to your photos as the screensaver. Good luck
smithsabom likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 800 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23699 Post(s)
Liked: 13048
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I don't think jdsmoothie answered the question you were asking when you were asking about "local music"

You mean like mp3s/flac files stored on a computer/server located on your network, right? I believe he was answering Yes, you can listen to local radio as in AM/FM stations.

As for playing local files, so far I have not been able to figure out an elegant way to do this with HEOS. It doesn't appear to be native in the app, but I don't have a HEOS enabled receiver and am not a HEOS expert so can't comment on it for sure.
Quite right .. misread the question so have edited my response accordingly.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

If the files are on a media server on your home network they should show up under the "Music Servers" option in the 'Music' panel of the app. I have MP3 and FLAC files spread around on several network attached disks and computers and they all show up and are playable. You may have to enable network sharing on the device where they are stored to make them discoverable. I'm not sure if the device running the app finds the files or if the receiver has the smarts and the app is just a UI to control what the receiver is doing.

Kicking back late at night with a nice pair of headphones and listening to my saved music through the HEOS app is one of the great pleasures in my life.
smithsabom likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx2 View Post
If the files are on a media server on your home network they should show up under the "Music Servers" option in the 'Music' panel of the app. I have MP3 and FLAC files spread around on several network attached disks and computers and they all show up and are playable. You may have to enable network sharing on the device where they are stored to make them discoverable. I'm not sure if the device running the app finds the files or if the receiver has the smarts and the app is just a UI to control what the receiver is doing.

Kicking back late at night with a nice pair of headphones and listening to my saved music through the HEOS app is one of the great pleasures in my life.
I have indeed gotten this to work. Unfortunately, the HEOS system does not appear to recognize my playlists so that is a bit of a bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page