Refreshing Receiver - Simple, budget conscious - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Refreshing Receiver - Simple, budget conscious

Hey AVS Forum, long time lurker, infrequent poster,

I'm a big fan of the the forum, as you guys helped me convince LG to replace the panel on my OLED65C6P. They did and I've been enjoying it ever since.

I've read a ton of the posts about crazy expensive receivers and pushing for pre-amp/amp combos. Is there a sub $700 option that will save me having to upgrade again in 5 years?

I'm looking for a replacement for my H/K 245AVR. It's served me well for 15 years, but is choking on new standards and looking to make the big leap to the next standard.

I'm currently running:

- The LG 65" OLED mentioned above
- LG UBK90 DVD Player
- Harmon/Kardon 245 AVR
- Infiniti Beta towers
- Infiniti Beta center
- Cambridge Soundworks S300 rears
- SVS P2000 subwoofer

I have 5 various Sonos devices scattered around the house, but it's not essential that this receiver connect to them. I'm really looking for an AV receiver the will handle the new formats (atmost etc). The TV has Dolby Vision and I love it; I'd like to take advantage (be prepared for) of Atmos etc.

If there are sticky posts that I have missed, please direct me to them.

Thanks

Dan W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-09-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieljohnwilson View Post
Hey AVS Forum, long time lurker, infrequent poster,

I'm a big fan of the the forum, as you guys helped me convince LG to replace the panel on my OLED65C6P. They did and I've been enjoying it ever since.

I've read a ton of the posts about crazy expensive receivers and pushing for pre-amp/amp combos. Is there a sub $700 option that will save me having to upgrade again in 5 years?

I'm looking for a replacement for my H/K 245AVR. It's served me well for 15 years, but is choking on new standards and looking to make the big leap to the next standard.

I'm currently running:

- The LG 65" OLED mentioned above
- LG UBK90 DVD Player
- Harmon/Kardon 245 AVR
- Infiniti Beta towers
- Infiniti Beta center
- Cambridge Soundworks S300 rears
- SVS P2000 subwoofer

I have 5 various Sonos devices scattered around the house, but it's not essential that this receiver connect to them. I'm really looking for an AV receiver the will handle the new formats (atmost etc). The TV has Dolby Vision and I love it; I'd like to take advantage (be prepared for) of Atmos etc.

If there are sticky posts that I have missed, please direct me to them.

Thanks

Dan W.
Most modern AVR's in your price range will have the features and connectivity you need. Yamaha is renowned for long term reliability. Denon & Marantz have excellent room correction. Onkyo has had HDMI board issues in the past and Pioneer have good amps, buy their UI isn't exactly user friendly. You can save a lot of money by buying previous year models or refurbished units from A4L.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 694
If you can get a good deal on a Denon x4400h or x4500h, I would go that route.

With Black Friday around the corner, it would be a good time to check out prices.

Or, if you can't wait, you can pickup the x4400h from Accessories4Less:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-09-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 470
You would be better off with a Denon x3600 over the 4400 or 4500 as it has the newer HDCP 2.3.That will get you more future proofed as those older models have HDCP 2.2. When 2.3 will be out no one knows and if it will only be for 8k content we dont know that either but as far as being prepaired its a good options.

But if your only running 5 speakers and one sub most any new receiver will work. If you dont plan on having more than a 5.2.2 setup I would go with a Yamaha 683 over most anything for the price. Also yamaha is the only brand I know that does HDCP updates via firmware. So your more future proofed. Doesnt look like you need external amps so you would be fine with that model. We use one for our kids tv room running 5.2.2 and sounds great. We have another yamaha but the 8 series line as we needed the preouts for active speakers.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #5 of 5 Old 11-09-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
You would be better off with a Denon x3600 over the 4400 or 4500 as it has the newer HDCP 2.3.That will get you more future proofed as those older models have HDCP 2.2. When 2.3 will be out no one knows and if it will only be for 8k content we dont know that either but as far as being prepaired its a good options.

But if your only running 5 speakers and one sub most any new receiver will work. If you dont plan on having more than a 5.2.2 setup I would go with a Yamaha 683 over most anything for the price. Also yamaha is the only brand I know that does HDCP updates via firmware. So your more future proofed. Doesnt look like you need external amps so you would be fine with that model. We use one for our kids tv room running 5.2.2 and sounds great. We have another yamaha but the 8 series line as we needed the preouts for active speakers.
I'd be more inclined to agree with this if I had any idea what HDCP 2.3 brings to the party.

I believe that HDCP 2.2 only exists in HDMI 2.0 systems. Nothing similar appears to be the case with HDCP 2.3. The 3600 is not an HDMI 2.1 AVR, and it won't be upgradeable to 2.1.

At the moment, HDCP 2.3 looks like an "It goes to 11!" sort of thing to me.

If anyone can provide a link as to what HDCP 2.3 bring over HDCP 2.2 (other than being a newer standard), I'd be pleased to look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page