Why aren't receivers' remotes backlit? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By petew
  • 1 Post By Darren Chan

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why aren't receivers' remotes backlit?

So it's been awhile since I've looked for a new receiver. After looking for a bit it seems that receivers don't have backlit remotes... even at the higher price points. Is this something I just shouldn't expect? Have I been spoiled all this time by our Xfinity motion-activated, light up remote? Who wants to be in a dark basement searching for the right button while watching a movie?

Are AVR remotes just an afterthought? Do manufacturers assume we'll buy a 3rd party, advanced universal remote? I guess I'm just disappointed the remotes aren't commensurate with the AVR as you go up any manufacturer's price point.

Thanks
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Most people are using third party remotes (Harmony for the most part). I've never run across a bundled remote that was worth a crap controlling other gear. Harmony works well and they are easy for the non tech-savvy household members to use.
shivaji likes this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi

Last edited by petew; 11-17-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Interesting question, one I've given thought to as well. It seems that AVR manufactures save their backlit remotes for their flagship receivers. I've owned a several receivers in my days and the only ones that ever had backlight were the top of the line receivers. My current receiver is a Marantz sr8012 and it is backlit, but like Peter said, third party remotes are the way to go if you have multiple devices to control, which, if you have an AVR, you obviously have multiple devices connected to it to control. Logitech/Harmony is probably the most popular and most of their remotes are backlit and/or have LCD display-touchscreens.

Den: Sony XBR75x950g, Marantz sr8012, ATV4k, Oppo bdp105, Emotiva XPR-5/UPA-2, NHT ClassicThree+C3C/iC4x4, Hsu,7.2.4
Bedroom: Samsung 64f8500, Denon 4311, ATVHD, Oppo bdp93, NHT Absolute Towers x2, Classic2Center, Classic2 Surround, M&K sub 5.1
Headbanging: MacMini/Roon/Tidal HA-1, ProJect PreBox s2 PM-1, Senheisser 6xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 733
EZ to answer..
Almost every AVR brand today is not profitable or not well off financially... So they delete certain features that cost $, the illuminated remote is about $1.50 higher(FOB cost) than a non-illuminated version. For the higher end AVRs, typically the user will have some other master-type, more versatile remote control such as a Harmony so they likely won't use the OE version packed with the AVR...

Just my $0.02...
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My marantz sr7013 remote is backlit.
altpensacola likes this.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page