Advice on Receiver for 5.1 + Zone 2 Onkyo vs Denon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Advice on Receiver for 5.1 + Zone 2 Onkyo vs Denon

Hello,

I am looking for advice on which receiver would be best for my application.

My setup is as follows, I have a 5.1 Surround system in my family room with definitive technology speakers.

I also have 6 in ceiling speakers I need to power off of a Zone 2 on the receiver.

I am currently using the Onkyo TR-NX696 but I am withing the return period and wondering if there are other models that can meet my needs better.

A few things the Onkyo does not support that I wish it did is:

1) It does not allow me to output HDMI sources to zone 2, so I cannot for example play the audio from the game playing on the family room system to zone 2.

2) It does not allow me to play music in the family room while I have the game on the tv on mute.

3) I have heard the room correction for Onkyo isnt as good as some others.

The Onkyo otherwise is working well.

One thing the Onkyo does allow me to do is default music streaming from my phone to Zone 2 so it never disrupts what the family room tv is on unless I go into the Onkyo app and change the source of Zone 1 to the stream. This is nice because a lot of times I am outside and want to begin a music stream and not play it inside.

Are there any receivers which would broadcast Zone 2 in the Spotify app so I can discretely select if I want the music to play on Zone 1 or 2?

I have been using Spotify Connect to stream my music to the Onkyo which works great and would like the new receiver to have this as well.

My question is what other receiver should I consider?

I have seen a lot of high praise of the Denon x3500H which I can buy for roughly $599, the Onkyo was $499.

I believe Denon offers HDMI playback to Zone 2 and a feature called Video Select which would let me have different audio and video sources at the same time?

Any assistance would be helpful!

Thank you

PSN: mikeb3408
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-18-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 241
@mikeb3408

Yes the x3500h has better room correction, allows digital sources to zone 2 and has 3 hdmi outs, 1 of them mirrored. I think you need to step up to the RZ series or new nr797 for digital sources to zone 2, iirc?

Maybe JD Smoothie can chime in on some of your other spotify ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Onkyo , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page