analog --> HDMI suggestions please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
analog --> HDMI suggestions please

After upgrading to a 4k TV, I've discovered that my old receiver no longer works for most of my devices. No problem, it's old, it's time to upgrade. Meanwhile I get by by plugging in a few things directly to the the TV and running optical from the TV to the receiver. Not ideal, and I definitely don't have enough inputs on the TV. I thought my needs were pretty simple but things have changed so much since the last time I shopped for a receiver that I'm having trouble finding things.

I run a 5.1 setup in a fairly small room. I'm not planning on moving to 7.1 or anything fancy in the ceiling, and power needs aren't super high either. So initially I was looking at low-end models since my budget is pretty meager as well (less than $500). The problem comes in the devices I have to plug in. I need 4k passthrough with HDMI 2.0, but I also have a handful of analog video inputs that still get some use (Wii, PS2, etc). Did everyone really drop support for analog --> HDMI conversion in the last 10 years? You used to be able to find that on anything with upscaling, but it looks like even some new devices that do HDMI upscaling don't support analog to HDMI now.

After spending way too much time looking through Denon models, I think I've found that the cheapest with the feature is the 2018 AVR-X3500H, and that's likely out of my budget range, at least for awhile. I'm open to looking at other brands but the actual specs seem impossible to find buried under the marketing BS. So I'm reaching out for help, just to find what options are even available for me.

Features on my wish list that aren't necessarily deal-breakers include:
  • Wired networking
  • Surround pre-amps
  • 4k 60hz upscaling
  • eARC (for smart TV content)

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope there's some good alternatives out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bugg View Post
After upgrading to a 4k TV, I've discovered that my old receiver no longer works for most of my devices. No problem, it's old, it's time to upgrade. Meanwhile I get by by plugging in a few things directly to the the TV and running optical from the TV to the receiver. Not ideal, and I definitely don't have enough inputs on the TV. I thought my needs were pretty simple but things have changed so much since the last time I shopped for a receiver that I'm having trouble finding things.

I run a 5.1 setup in a fairly small room. I'm not planning on moving to 7.1 or anything fancy in the ceiling, and power needs aren't super high either. So initially I was looking at low-end models since my budget is pretty meager as well (less than $500). The problem comes in the devices I have to plug in. I need 4k passthrough with HDMI 2.0, but I also have a handful of analog video inputs that still get some use (Wii, PS2, etc). Did everyone really drop support for analog --> HDMI conversion in the last 10 years? You used to be able to find that on anything with upscaling, but it looks like even some new devices that do HDMI upscaling don't support analog to HDMI now.

After spending way too much time looking through Denon models, I think I've found that the cheapest with the feature is the 2018 AVR-X3500H, and that's likely out of my budget range, at least for awhile. I'm open to looking at other brands but the actual specs seem impossible to find buried under the marketing BS. So I'm reaching out for help, just to find what options are even available for me.

Features on my wish list that aren't necessarily deal-breakers include:
  • Wired networking
  • Surround pre-amps
  • 4k 60hz upscaling
  • eARC (for smart TV content)

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope there's some good alternatives out there.

Actually, that's exactly what happened. It's called the HDMI Analog Sunset.

It began in January 1, 2011 where any new Blu-ray player announced would only output HD video via HDMI connection. Then in 2013 any analog connections on a Blu-ray player were removed.

Subsequently, AVR manufactures began to not support analog input hardware as most new equipment has an HDMI connection.

There are analog to HDMI converter boxes that can help on the market.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 5074
Thumbs up

The new Panasonic UB9000 is the only current Blu-Ray player that has 7.1 analog outputs. Price is about 1K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page