Most reliable receivers for 2019 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By etp
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 2 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By erick granato
  • 1 Post By dhinson66
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By dunnersfella
  • 1 Post By etp

post #1 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Most reliable receivers for 2019

I am looking to upgrade an old basic Yamaha receiver (no HDMI or BT on my present unit). Have owned all the brands (Marantz, Denon, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, Technics,etc) over the last 45+ years but seems the quality of all the brands has went down hill in a hand basket.

I will be happy with a basic receiver that can pass HDMI with the receiver off.

Best one I ever owned was a Marantz 4400 with gold plated circuits and an oscilloscope.

However, lighter and smaller is fine these days as I do not want a two man lift to put it on the self.

Thanks all,

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-19-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Budget and what speakers are you running. Room size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
etp likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Budget

200-600

and what speakers are you running

4 full range small Mirage speakers and a full range mid size center (Pioneer twin midrange with tweeter) with powered Sub woofer/giant amp not needed.

Room size?22X36

All my speakers are up front as I am not pulling wires through 2 feet of insulation in my new house attic (12 foot ceilings). Builder refused to allow electrician to put in speaker wires.

Anyway I am ok with a simple set up as I did have a 7.2 system hard wired before I moved and really don't miss that much. Mostly music and kids will do game machines and movies on the 65" Samsung 9000/950??..
Not worth the pain at my age. You young folks can drill holes in top plates and fish 12 and 10 AWG wires through walls but not me.

Still remember building my first heath Kit amp and over sizing all the ceramic caps.
dhinson66 likes this.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-19-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

So you should probably run a 3.1 or 3.1.2 setup then. Having the surround speakers up front is not good, better to just say there is none or possibly use the extra speakers as front height (3.1.2) setup.

I dont think full range exist in small form, most very big speakers are still not really full range.
etp likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:
So you should probably run a 3.1 or 3.1.2 setup then. Having the surround speakers up front is not good, better to just say there is none or possibly use the extra speakers as front height (3.1.2) setup.

I dont think full range exist in small form, most very big speakers are still not really full range.
3.1 sounds right. I cut the low end off around 200 on the smalls. Left the center full range and set the woofer to 500 and below. Maybe!!!! Yamaha does not have the same abilities as the old 896.

And yes it sounds very strange for a movie. I usually wind up using 6 channel stereo mode in a pinch.

Not a proper layout for movies to say the least but some things in life get shoved to the side for more important items.

What has caused all the hand wrenching is I ripped all my 1200 CD library to lossless audio onto a 256 USB drive. But in order to view titles I need to have a laptop steaming Bluetooth or use the TV screen for my menu on my XBOX X.

Could put a small laptop with HDMI audio out????? hooked to my receiver? Not sure what kind of sound a laptop passes over HDMI for a receiver. Still need an upgraded receiver to do this I think or headphone jack on my laptop to RCA in.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-21-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
3.1 sounds right. I cut the low end off around 500 or 250 on the smalls as far as I can remember. Left the center full range and set the woofer to 500 and below. Maybe!!!!

And yes it sounds very strange for a movie. I usually wind up using stereo mode in a pinch.

Not a proper layout for movies to say the least but some things in life get shoved to the side for more important items.

A 3.1 setup will work well for tv and movies, i often dont bother turning on my surround channels amp so.
The crossover numbers seem very off so hope you dont remember right on those, but new AVRs have very good auto setups which take care of that anyway.

Would be useful to know what speakers you have but a good deal on last years models would probably be great, or a black friday deal. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz and onkyo are the most popular ones on these forums nowdays. They should all be good but impossible to say which is the most reliable, it depends on each model and is unknown really for the newer ones yet. They dont make them like they used to though, not made to last as long as before because everything changes so quickly that they make them cheaper so they can and need to be replaced more often.

etp likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Everything can go over HDMI, from stereo to lossless multichannel.

etp likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

And new AVRs like denon/marantz with HEOS can play songs off a stick connected to the AVR ithink with the remote controlling or controlled with a HEOS app on your smartphone. Yamaha has something similar also. Onkyo i dont know but probably.

etp likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2980 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Yamaha has been the reliability leader for some time. Whether that continues in the future is subject to debate, but past experience often portends the future.
etp and 6sj7gt like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yamaha has been the reliability leader for some time. Whether that continues in the future is subject to debate, but past experience often portends the future.
Seems like the consensus. Although, make sure you get a model with pre-outs as some of the Yamaha models are a little less powerful than their Denon or Onkyo counterparts, that way you can add an external power amp for the front channels, if you need it.
RayGuy and etp like this.

Last edited by erick granato; 11-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Not sure why there's so much criticism of Onkyo receivers- they are very powerful, have great features and the 3 I have owned over the last 10 years or so have been bullet proof. I still have a TX NR 626 and a TX RZ 810 and they both sound great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
etp likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:
And new AVRs like denon/marantz with HEOS can play songs off a stick connected to the AVR ithink with the remote controlling or controlled with a HEOS app on your smartphone. Yamaha has something similar also. Onkyo i dont know but probably.

Time for a lot of research!

Some constraints are my rip was WMA lossless. Most newer units will play WMA but not sure about lossless. When I ripped the CD collection I only had plans of using it on a Windows/XBOX device and ripped a parallel version on high bit rate MP3 for all the Toyotas which need MP3. I can hear the difference in the house on the quality of the sound but have no way of checking that in the car so far.

If it becomes an insurmountable issue I could take several weeks and re-rip the whole collection after New years.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-20-2019 at 01:56 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
Time for a lot of research!

Some constraints are my rip was WMA lossless. Most newer units will play WMA but not sure about lossless. When I ripped the CD collection I only had plans of using it on a Windows/XBOX device and ripped a parallel version on high bit rate MP3 for all the Toyotas which need MP3. I can hear the difference in the house on the quality of the sound but have no way of checking that in the car so far.

If it becomes an insurmountable issue I could take several weeks and re-rip the whole collection after New years.

Ithink there are rip programs which can batch convert the wma into flac or wav

etp likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Ithink there are rip programs which can batch convert the wma into flac or wav

Batch convertors make this a piece of cake.
Look at the entry level Yamaha's (RXV485 / RXV685 etc) with MusicCast on-board... that way if you want to add rears you can just buy 2 x WX021's from Yamaha and join them over WiFi using the MusicCast app. All you'll need is power at the back of the room and Bob is your fathers son!
etp likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Seems like the consensus. Although, make sure you get a model with pre-outs as some of the Yamaha models are a little less powerful than their Denon or Onkyo counterparts, that way you can add an external power amp for the front channels, if you need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinson66 View Post
Not sure why there's so much criticism of Onkyo receivers- they are very powerful, have great features and the 3 I have owned over the last 10 years or so have been bullet proof. I still have a TX NR 626 and a TX RZ 810 and they both sound great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My old Yamaha has a non user friendly menu system but has worked well for my needs in a spare bedroom 5.1 system TV (before we moved). Onkyo was always my favorite and had 3 over the years / MIJ ones were perfect. Have had at least two Denon's and the sound was incredible. Seems I remember the higher end Sony had a very nice menu system.

Problem with a new MIJ unit it will require a large outlay of funds and a two man lift with a questionable value added with a small foot print layout. So leaning towards a Yamaha for quality but like all the bells and whistles on the Sony/Denon/Onkyo. Seems the one star reviews are extremely brutal on many brands for quality out of the box.

Hooking all the wires up even for a simple system is not an easy task and to do it for a DOA unit is pretty nasty.

Anyway thanks for all the past, present and future inputs as I shop the BF deals in the next 10 days. Looking a BB, Amazon, AAFES, NEX, B&H and other NY dealers for deals.

ETP
post #16 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Batch convertors make this a piece of cake.
Look at the entry level Yamaha's (RXV485 / RXV685 etc) with MusicCast on-board... that way if you want to add rears you can just buy 2 x WX021's from Yamaha and join them over WiFi using the MusicCast app. All you'll need is power at the back of the room and Bob is your fathers son!
Yep, I had narrowed it down to Yamaha but still thinking about all the flash and glitter in the other brands. Sort of like looking at a new Cadillac with full dead cow interior and a bullet proof MIJ Prius with plastic interior.
mattg3 likes this.

ETP
post #17 of 18 Old 11-20-2019, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
etp

https://www.lifewire.com/heos-4155588

HEOS has me rethinking Denon.
Just installed a very high end mesh system as part of a test for BB and now have 5 bars everywhere in the house. The idea of feeding an audio signal from my computer to the receiver (If that works) is very appealing and solves several problems.

Need to dig deep and find out what are the limitations from a computer.

Also BB has a BF deal on an unadvertised model number.

Wonder is there is any difference worthwhile between the 2500H and 2600H?

Also I am playing my WMA lossless stick over BT with my laptop. Bought a cheap BT receiver from BB and it seems to work OK. Just no way of knowing what truncation is going on.
Noticed a cast to device option in my windows menu when I select "open with". Will try that next but wifi would have a better connection for sure.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-20-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
etp

Quote:

OK, thanks for all the help from everyone and it was a tough decision. Narrowed it down to Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha. Denon had the over all power and features that edged out Onkyo very slightly at best. HEOS and some other items sealed the deal. Really wanted a Yamaha but discounting is very rare for these units and Denon has a 3 year warranty and less one star reviews over Onkyo. Wanted a 3500 but thought it was overkill for my small needs.

I got permission from my wife to get last years Denon 2500 since they are on clearance. Not sure if I can post a price but these are discounted everwhere including the 1500 and 3500.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 11-21-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page