Which One? Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Which One? Help!

I have been out of the game for a bit... AND boy have things changed! I've been looking for a new receiver and would like to stick with Denon. (Past history with me has been wonderful.) I have a pair of B&W floors (DM603 S3's) and a Samsung 55" JU6500F. I would like to run my Xfinity cable, Apple 4K TV, and a PS4 through the receiver along with my JVC JL-A15 phonograph. 75% of the time I would be watching HD TV through HDMI with Xfinity. The other 25% would be split with streaming movies through the Apple TV and wither streaming music from my phone or listening to a record... Here's my question:
I have been looking at the following Denon's and comparing them as best I can with my limited knowledge... The 3 Denon's are: AVR-S750H / AVR-S950H / AVR-X1600H
The 750 seams to meet what I need but am I really missing out on not going $100 more for the 950 or the 1600 and if so which of the two would be best?

Thanks for the nube question!

Any tips are welcomed!

Bonus question if I may...

I am lacking a center channel and don't hav $700 for a B&W proper center channel, could I (for now) purchase a M1MB and rotate it horizontally and have it help with the diolog until I can get the funds together? Then I could purchase a 2nd M1MB after getting a proper center and use the M1MB's as surrounds?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

***Dialog
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Unless money is a really big issue those speakers probably should have a Denon 3x00 at the very least. A model thats a year or two old is np.

Unless you have several people watching at once and having problems hearing i wouldnt use that bad a speaker as a center when you have much much better mains. Phantom center works well especially for one person. (Or well just stereo if you only have the mains yet, and yes properly set up stereo sounds better than badly set up surround by far)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! So, the M1MB is not that great? I figured that it being a B&W it would be decent enough... Would they work for surrounds with the 603's? I don't think I can do the 3600 but I'd be able to get the 2600. Would the 2600 be an okay choice?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaman View Post
Thanks for your reply! So, the M1MB is not that great? I figured that it being a B&W it would be decent enough... Would they work for surrounds with the 603's? I don't think I can do the 3600 but I'd be able to get the 2600. Would the 2600 be an okay choice?

For surrounds they should be fine, thats the place to save when needed. Surrounds can also wait a while to get a better AVR for example but the 2600 should be good, its just a pretty significant jump in a lot of things at the 3600 but it is more expensive. Its also a good idea to look for a year or two even old model and save possibly a good chunk of money or be able to go to the 3X00 series.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
For surrounds they should be fine, thats the place to save when needed. Surrounds can also wait a while to get a better AVR for example but the 2600 should be good, its just a pretty significant jump in a lot of things at the 3600 but it is more expensive. Its also a good idea to look for a year or two even old model and save possibly a good chunk of money or be able to go to the 3X00 series.

So, thanks again for your input! After about 6-8 hours of reading reviews and a lot of YouTube videos I have decided that if I'm going to jump to the 2600 that I would be kicking myself if I didn't just pull the trigger and do the 3600! It look like it's in a category all it's own at that price point. $1100 for 11 channels with amp assignment available? Yes please!

Would you, in my situation of only having the two 603's right now, (no center or surround) bi-amp them since I could take two of the extra channels that would not be in use and drive the mid driver and low-range with dedicated channels? (In the Denon manual it shows that you can take the Height2's and use/assign them to bi-amp the front mains.) Actually I have enough channels to do that even with a 7.1!

Thoughts?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaman View Post
So, thanks again for your input! After about 6-8 hours of reading reviews and a lot of YouTube videos I have decided that if I'm going to jump to the 2600 that I would be kicking myself if I didn't just pull the trigger and do the 3600! It look like it's in a category all it's own at that price point. $1100 for 11 channels with amp assignment available? Yes please!

Would you, in my situation of only having the two 603's right now, (no center or surround) bi-amp them since I could take two of the extra channels that would not be in use and drive the mid driver and low-range with dedicated channels? (In the Denon manual it shows that you can take the Height2's and use/assign them to bi-amp the front mains.) Actually I have enough channels to do that even with a 7.1!

Thoughts?

Make sure you remove the connections between posts on the speakers before you try but other then that give it a go, it might be something you like or it might not sound any different. The difference can also just come from doubling the cables.
Let us know how it works out or if you have any questions feel free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page