Yamaha R-N301 sounds... wrong after moving and plugging into other speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Yamaha R-N301 sounds... wrong after moving and plugging into other speakers

I'm sorry if it's rude to ask for technical help here, particularly given I have had 0 engagement with this forum in the past. But I'm stuck. I'm lost. I don't know if anybody can help.

I recently moved house, and bought some Q-Acoustics 3050i to go downstairs. I already have a Yamaha R-N301 paired with Wharfedaler Onyx 300s, which lives on my desk.
To test out the 3050is, I plugged them into the Yamaha - which drove them way better than I expected, and they sounded great. Then, I returned my Yamaha to the Wharfedales, and it sounds wrong. It's lost lots of the treble and bass, and gotten boomy in the mid-end. I've checked the phase of the speakers, I've checked the other speaker channel, I've verified the EQ is flat like I've always had it, I've verified that there's no difference between the DAC via Optical, the DAC via Network, or the Analogue (from a Phono Pre-Amp and turntable). I can't see any voltage or current physical switches that I've moved.

I'm stumped. it just sounds wrong, and it's breaking me up a little. I legitimately struggle to listen to music with it, because I know what it sounded like before, and it's just... wrong.

I'm trying to avoid the 60AUD quote fee + fix cost + weeks without an amp even if they can't do it - because, what if they don't find anything? What if they come back with that the sound is subjective or something?

I'm not sure where else I can ask. Help? Please? I'd rather not replace it just yet - it's barely out of warranty, and moving and getting married was expensive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2019, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry - Onyx 100
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Are the speakers in the exact same position?
Is it possible that after hearing the other speakers there you notice how the old ones actually sound? (This is a bit of a stretch but audio is so much in our head)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Are the speakers in the exact same position?
Is it possible that after hearing the other speakers there you notice how the old ones actually sound? (This is a bit of a stretch but audio is so much in our head)

I'm pretty sure they are? I've tried the slight angle, and completely straight - both which seem to be the same, and they're on either side of a screen, which kinda fixes that position. I'm nervous that they may be a little closer to a wall than the window they were near previously - but, moving them forward didn't seem to really change things.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Did you change any settings when testing with the other speakers at all?

Sound mode, have you checked ‘direct’ not sure what yamaha calls it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
technical support , Yamaha , yamaha r-n301

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page