1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonoMan

post #1 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie here

I am looking to buy a new system either using my old speaker from my now half dead Samasung AV-R720. Speakers seems fine. When I use this system it seems that I have to crank up to volume to be lound enough don't know if it is the speaker problem or the receiver was dying.

Anyway, I have a budget of about $750 CAD which is around $600 USD.

I would prefer to spend as little money as possible so if the speaker is fine only need the AV receiver. If not, what do you recommend for receiver and speakers. I am look at those home entertainment system in a box but if I can get something better separately would be better. since the receiver in the box set is propably not the best for the money. I am new to these so please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 2760
- How loud are you cranking the volume (does the display on the receiver show a # and, if so, what are the max and min numbers)?
- Do you have all speakers set to "small", subwoofer set to "yes" and the crossover set to "150Hz" (per pg. 21 of the owner's manual)?
- Is DRC set to "MIN" (page 25)?
- Have you tried adjusting the levels of the speakers (pgs. 26-28)?
post #3 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
- How loud are you cranking the volume (does the display on the receiver show a # and, if so, what are the max and min numbers)?
- Do you have all speakers set to "small", subwoofer set to "yes" and the crossover set to "150Hz" (per pg. 21 of the owner's manual)?
- Is DRC set to "MIN" (page 25)?
- Have you tried adjusting the levels of the speakers (pgs. 26-28)?
I will try that never know I have to do that lol Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Siu View Post
I will try that never know I have to do that lol Thanks for the info
I used to have to crank it up over 50 max is 60
post #5 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have everything set to what you have advised and it's amazingly loud and bigger boom lol. too bad my right front channel is doing snap crackle and pop. I checked all the wires and opened it up and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now that I know the speakers still work really well. I would need some recommendation for a mid range AV receiver.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
I have everything set to what you have advised and it's amazingly loud and bigger boom lol. too bad my right front channel is doing snap crackle and pop. I checked all the wires and opened it up and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now that I know the speakers still work really well. I would need some recommendation for a mid range AV receiver.

If your speaker is making those sounds, it's either blown, or you are clipping your amp, or you are bottoming out your woofer. The latter two options will likely blow the speaker if it's not already blown.

Clipping the amp means you're putting a lot of a specific type of distortion into the speaker. This always sounds bad, but if you do it for an extended amount of time, it will also permanently damage the speaker. A small amount of clipping for a short amount of time will sound bad but would probably not permanently damage anything.

Bottoming out the woofer would mean you're driving it so hard that the cone of the woofer is physically hitting the metal frame behind it. If you do this very slightly for a very short amount of time, you might not damage the speaker, but generally it's quite easy for it to become damaged in this scenario.

Honestly, it's still unclear (from the information you provided) if you have a speaker or receiver issue.

I suspect you may have both a receiver that doesn't put out enough power for you AND speakers that cannot move enough air for you.

I suspect upgrading your receiver will lead to blown speakers, which will make you replace those.

If your speakers were already blown, that could damage a receiver (including a new one), by the way. Especially if you try to crank the volume when the speaker is blown.

Edit: While I said bottoming out the woofer, it's possible to do so with a tweeter too, especially if your receiver is clipping. I just defaulted to saying woofer because in my experience it's usually the woofer that reaches its limit first.

Last edited by DonoMan; 11-21-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6605 Post(s)
Liked: 6016
Quote:
Snap crackle and pop = working "really well"?

What are these speakers? Have you went through the TEST TONE menu and set the speaker levels (preferably with an SPL meter)? Also, have you correctly set the speaker distances?
post #8 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
If your speaker is making those sounds, it's either blown, or you are clipping your amp, or you are bottoming out your woofer. The latter two options will likely blow the speaker if it's not already blown.

Clipping the amp means you're putting a lot of a specific type of distortion into the speaker. This always sounds bad, but if you do it for an extended amount of time, it will also permanently damage the speaker. A small amount of clipping for a short amount of time will sound bad but would probably not permanently damage anything.

Bottoming out the woofer would mean you're driving it so hard that the cone of the woofer is physically hitting the metal frame behind it. If you do this very slightly for a very short amount of time, you might not damage the speaker, but generally it's quite easy for it to become damaged in this scenario.

Honestly, it's still unclear (from the information you provided) if you have a speaker or receiver issue.

I suspect you may have both a receiver that doesn't put out enough power for you AND speakers that cannot move enough air for you.

I suspect upgrading your receiver will lead to blown speakers, which will make you replace those.

If your speakers were already blown, that could damage a receiver (including a new one), by the way. Especially if you try to crank the volume when the speaker is blown.

Edit: While I said bottoming out the woofer, it's possible to do so with a tweeter too, especially if your receiver is clipping. I just defaulted to saying woofer because in my experience it's usually the woofer that reaches its limit first.
I tried the right speaker with the left channel and it sounds fine. O used my left speaker on the right channel and it is giving me the the poping crakling sound. So that seems to me is the receiver channel is having problem?

What do you think?
post #9 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Snap crackle and pop = working "really well"?

What are these speakers? Have you went through the TEST TONE menu and set the speaker levels (preferably with an SPL meter)? Also, have you correctly set the speaker distances?
I try using the right speaker on the other channel and it seems fine. Everything is set
post #10 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

There s some great promote going on with best buy right now and I would like to get a receiver to replace my old one if the receive is probably the problem. With my budget any suggestion on what to buy in case my speaker have problem too?
post #11 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried the right speaker with the left channel and it sounds fine. O used my left speaker on the right channel and it is giving me the the poping crakling sound. So that seems to me is the receiver channel is having problem?

What do you think?

That does seem likely (that the receiver channel is bad), then.

But also make sure you don't have any shorts in your speaker cable as well.

Sometimes people go to put the speaker cable into the receiver but one or two strands of wire "miss" the correct spot and instead touch the metal of the case, which can cause problems like these. This kind of thing could kill an amp channel (so it will still be a problem once the short is removed) or it might be fine after removing the short.
Alan P likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
That does seem likely (that the receiver channel is bad), then.

But also make sure you don't have any shorts in your speaker cable as well.

Sometimes people go to put the speaker cable into the receiver but one or two strands of wire "miss" the correct spot and instead touch the metal of the case, which can cause problems like these. This kind of thing could kill an amp channel (so it will still be a problem once the short is removed) or it might be fine after removing the short.
I did use a brand new cable to check that too
post #13 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So... Based on you stating you'd be fine with HTiB type stuff, I'd say you don't need to be looking at US$600 (ish) receivers. Those receivers will be nicer than HTiB receivers, but you can get receivers that are still an upgrade for you while only spending closer to US$300 or so. I know you said Canadian dollars but I don't know about the market up there; it shouldn't be that different from here in the US, though.

Unless you look at $600 receivers and decide there are features you want, I'd suggest you check out the $300-400 zone

stuff like the Denon X1500 which will have relatively good room correction software for the pricepoint. Or something like a Yamaha RX-V485 (there is also their TSR series but I'm not familiar with those models) which most people would tell you has lower-end room correction software, but otherwise is pretty comparable and Yamaha is known to run cool and be reliable. Denon is known to run somewhat hot and my impressions on its reliability are that it's a moderately reliable brand on average (I've had a couple and have not had a problem). But as far as features per dollar, Denon is one of the best, and it's generally known to be more reliable than the other features-per-dollar brand (Onkyo) which has had far more reliability problems over the years.

If you aren't sure which one is right then I'd start by figuring out which features matter to you.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
+1 for the Denon AVR x1500h. Currently $399CAD at gibbys.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....IaAo5iEALw_wcB

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ineteresting, I thought Onkyo is a pretty good brand. I will look at Denon. Thanks
post #16 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Chan View Post
+1 for the Denon AVR x1500h. Currently $399CAD at gibbys.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....IaAo5iEALw_wcB
I read some review and they said Denon 1500h had HDMI latency issue
AVRS750H the one that I originally looked at have HDMI connective issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page