Home Theater Audio Upgrade Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Home Theater Audio Upgrade Question

Hey Folks -

I inherited a pretty solid sound system when I purchased my last house. We recently relocated due to a job and I took the sound system with me. I'd like to take it to 4k though and have a few questions. I got a quote from a local AV install, but frankly, it's just too far outside my budget even though I liked him. Hoping someone can help as I've done a little research, but can't seem to answer the following.

Here's my current setup:

2 Martin Logan Electro Motion Towers
4 Martin Logan Fresco-I LCR's
1 Martin Logan ESL Motif
1 JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer
Marantz 7005 Pre Tuner
Marantz MM8077 Amplifier

I understand I can jump to a Marantz 4k receiver and make things easy, but it's expensive and I need some budget for the TV. I've actually considered just selling the whole setup for 5-7k and buying something cheaper. But before I go that route, I'd like to explore the following:

1. Could I get a Samsung OLED and run my television to the Marantz receiver with the TV being the pass-through for 4k resolution/sound?

2. If the answer to #1 is "no" - can I get a newer 7.1 reciever that won't cost an arm and a leg to power this system? I'm looking at the Denon 950H, Yamaha V685BL and the Sony STRDN1080. All of them are $550 or less.

3. If I buy one of these receivers, can I connect them using an XLR to banana jack conversion? The Marantz amp only has XLR connections which might limit what I can do.

4. The tech I worked with said he has someone wanting to part with a used Onkyo PR-SC5530 which does have XLR outputs. He offered that at $1,100 but again, outside my price range because I still need to purchase a larger TV for the room this is all getting installed in. Do I have to stick with a receiver that has XLR outputs?

Bottom line is I think I'm capable enough to install this all myself (including the in-wall runs, I have access to the area via storage space and attic space). I've built all my own PCs, so I think it comes down to just matching everything and putting it all together.

I appreciate any feedback on the topic. If I can't make it work on a budget, I'll likely consider selling the whole thing and buying something much less flashy while saving a few bucks in the process.

At this point, I'm just looking for feedback if the unbalanced pre-out is a good or bad idea. Since I'm running the speakers to the AMP, I'm assuming all the power gets channeled to the SUB from the receiver? I appreciate any input - this is pretty new territory for me.

Last edited by rboster; 11-23-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 240
@norsehorse45 From what I understand you can keep all of your gear and get an hd fury to split the source signal. I do not own one, so do the research first https://www.amazon.com/HDfury-Integr...a-836542468963

You can then use any of the tv aps back to the Marantz via optical

Good luck!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@norsehorse45 From what I understand you can keep all of your gear and get an hd fury to split the source signal. I do not own one, so do the research first https://www.amazon.com/HDfury-Integr...a-836542468963

You can then use any of the tv aps back to the Marantz via optical

Good luck!
Thanks - After spending most of my day researching, I'm considering a Yamaha. Any feedback on if this would be a downgrade from a sound quality perspective? It has Pre Outs that I could plug into the AMP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@norsehorse45 yhat is a good solid receiver. However it is capped at 7 channels so for less $$ you can get a Denon x3500h, which is very similar but has better room correction and can control dual subs, if you care?

For just a little more you can get an Onkyo rz840, Pioneer lx504, Denon x3600 or last years x4400. All of those have more channels, more power and can expand to 11 channels, if you care?

If you can wait 6 more days, there should be some black friday deals!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-23-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@norsehorse45 yhat is a good solid receiver. However it is capped at 7 channels so for less $$ you can get a Denon x3500h, which is very similar but has better room correction and can control dual subs, if you care?

For just a little more you can get an Onkyo rz840, Pioneer lx504, Denon x3600 or last years x4400. All of those have more channels, more power and can expand to 11 channels, if you care?

If you can wait 6 more days, there should be some black friday deals!
Thanks Erik! I'm not too concerned about expanding the sytem. 7.1 is enough for me so the Yamaha will likely do. With that being said, I'll definitely check out the rest.

Any drawback to using an RCA to connect the pre outs from the pre amp to the amp instead of the XLR?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@norsehorse45 no drawback as long as you are not running the rca cables 20 ft, past the subwoofer amp, past 3 outlets, the tv and a giant power strip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page