Questions on Audyssey xt32 vs ARC via Denon/Marantz vs Anthem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Morris
  • 1 Post By kincade

post #1 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Questions on Audyssey xt32 vs ARC via Denon/Marantz vs Anthem

I'm at the tail end of months of reading and building my new dedicated HT and at the purchase phase of the project. So far I've been able to figure out and demo much of the equipment, but I'm still lacking clarity on the AVR/Pre Pro choices.

First, my speaker layout will be 5.2.2, front 3 speakers will be separately amped (lower sensitivity) so I need preouts. Feature wise I've narrowed it down to the Marantz 7705/7013 (or perhaps a used 8805/8012), Denon X6500H or used Anthem AVM 60. I've previously owned an Anthem prepro and loved the sound at the time, but it was so long ago that I'm not sure it's fair to compare to these units at a much lower cost.

Use will be 33%HT, 33% Tv/Series, and 33% music (although the latter will be more critical listening)

One other desired feature: I listen to multichannel music via SACD/DVD-A and originally wanted to keep my Denon DVD2900 to do so, but with the Sony X800M2 on sale it seems like that offers a good alternative if I end up with a receiver without analog inputs (only the Marantz above offers this).

The age of the Anthem concerns me a bit as does the talk of the many bugs that it had early on, and the HDAM circuits of the Marantz seems good on paper but I haven't been able to A/B this against a competitor to figure out if it's just marketing or an actual feature.

All this taken into consideration, it seems the biggest differentiation point in these units is the room correction technology with xt32 and ARC. I've listened to a few systems with each and most sounded great. That said I haven't been able to A/B these against each other in the same room with same equipment to figure out which would be better for my use. It seems that many think the XT32 makes the music sound 'flat' which would be a deal killer for me, but I also see that there is now an app to tweak the results and many are happy with it.

Regardless ease of use is important to me - with 2 small kids and a healthy travel schedule I no longer have the unlimited 'tweaking' hours that I once did.

If anyone would be willing to relate their experiences with these units/room correction and or give me some guidance I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

-kb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Is there anyone who has used both XT32 and ARC and would be willing to comment on the differences?

-kb
post #3 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used to have a D2v with ARC and thought it was excellent. I used it up to the default 5khz on all programming including critical listening for music. I then had a marantz receiver with audyssey MultEQ. I liked the bass correction but hated everything else about the sound. Now I have a Denon with xt32 and the ability to use the app makes all the difference in the world. Now I can fix the bass up to 300hz and leave my speakers otherwise untouched. Now I happily leave audyssey on for everything. I would base your decision on cost and features. Audyssey is fine as long as you can use the app to choose the frequency cutoff.
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Morris View Post
I used to have a D2v with ARC and thought it was excellent. I used it up to the default 5khz on all programming including critical listening for music. I then had a marantz receiver with audyssey MultEQ. I liked the bass correction but hated everything else about the sound. Now I have a Denon with xt32 and the ability to use the app makes all the difference in the world. Now I can fix the bass up to 300hz and leave my speakers otherwise untouched. Now I happily leave audyssey on for everything. I would base your decision on cost and features. Audyssey is fine as long as you can use the app to choose the frequency cutoff.

Craig, thank you for this. This is exactly the type of input I was hoping for.

I've read that the XT32 takes a lot of tweaking to get it to sound good, but being able to limit it to 300hz with the app seems very beneficial.

-kb
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn’t really tweak audyssey much. I unselected the midrange dip correction (I forget the exact wording), lowered the correction to 300hz, and followed some instructions I found online for optimizing the measurement locations to favour the main listening position. I can’t fairly compare it directly to my ARC experience because it was a different system in a different room. But I’m far more particular about sound for music as opposed to movies where I’m less critical and audyssey is doing a good job when I limit it to the bass frequencies.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had an AVM20 for 17 years. Got tired of it not having HDMI, so have recently bought a Marantz 6013 demo unit to get me thru til Anthem releases a current model.
The AVM20 didn't have any correction and so I just hooked the 6013 up and just did levels, distance, x-overs, and I like the Marantz better for music. I do seem to be missing some mid bass impact for movies, however. If I decide to keep it, the dealer will upgrade me to the 6014 and then I'll try Audyssey.
Audyssey doesn't seem to be well liked and I wish it would just go away period, and manufacturers would choose Dirac instead.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 818
If you are going to go with Audyssey, make certain it's the XT32 version. I love how Audyssey XT32 works in my HT with my x4400h. The room is not ideal but it does it's thing and flattens out frequency response all the way across the board, making movies sound amazing! I have a lower model Denon in my living room and it is no where near as capable at correcting problems with peaks and nulls.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn’t really tweak audyssey much. I unselected the midrange dip correction (I forget the exact wording), lowered the correction to 300hz, and followed some instructions I found online for optimizing the measurement locations to favour the main listening position. I can’t fairly compare it directly to my ARC experience because it was a different system in a different room. But I’m far more particular about sound for music as opposed to movies where I’m less critical and audyssey is doing a good job when I limit it to the bass frequencies.
Again, great information. Thank you for the reply and for relaying your experience. This makes my decision quite a bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I had an AVM20 for 17 years. Got tired of it not having HDMI, so have recently bought a Marantz 6013 demo unit to get me thru til Anthem releases a current model.
The AVM20 didn't have any correction and so I just hooked the 6013 up and just did levels, distance, x-overs, and I like the Marantz better for music. I do seem to be missing some mid bass impact for movies, however. If I decide to keep it, the dealer will upgrade me to the 6014 and then I'll try Audyssey.
Audyssey doesn't seem to be well liked and I wish it would just go away period, and manufacturers would choose Dirac instead.
I have read numerous times about Dirac being the superior option, but there simply isn't an AVR/Pre out there in my price range that seems to be reliable and have the features I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
If you are going to go with Audyssey, make certain it's the XT32 version. I love how Audyssey XT32 works in my HT with my x4400h. The room is not ideal but it does it's thing and flattens out frequency response all the way across the board, making movies sound amazing! I have a lower model Denon in my living room and it is no where near as capable at correcting problems with peaks and nulls.
Thank you for relaying your experience. As of now I'm between the Anthem AVM60 and a stellar price on a Marantz 7705 (believe this has the XT32 just like the x4400h). Honestly I'm not sure the AVM60 will be better enough to justify the price differential (over $1k), and that would go a long way towards treating the room or other equipment/screen/etc. I have an old Onkyo with a much older version of Audyssey and I've not found it to be very worthwhile.
m0j0 likes this.

-kb
post #9 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Quote:
I didn’️t really tweak audyssey much. I unselected the midrange dip correction (I forget the exact wording), lowered the correction to 300hz, and followed some instructions I found online for optimizing the measurement locations to favour the main listening position. I can’️t fairly compare it directly to my ARC experience because it was a different system in a different room. But I’️m far more particular about sound for music as opposed to movies where I’️m less critical and audyssey is doing a good job when I limit it to the bass frequencies.
Again, great information. Thank you for the reply and for relaying your experience. This makes my decision quite a bit easier.

Quote:
I have read numerous times about Dirac being the superior option, but there simply isn't an AVR/Pre out there in my price range that seems to be reliable and have the features I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Thank you for relaying your experience. As of now I'm between the Anthem AVM60 and a stellar price on a Marantz 7705 (believe this has the XT32 just like the x4400h). Honestly I'm not sure the AVM60 will be better enough to justify the price differential (over $1k), and that would go a long way towards treating the room or other equipment/screen/etc. I have an old Onkyo with a much older version of Audyssey and I've not found it to be very worthwhile.
The Arcam AVR390 is on sale for $1500. That might be in your price range.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
With a new Anthem probably about a year away, I would take the deal on the Marantz and save your money. That way if the new Anthem is any good, you can sell your Marantz with less of a loss and get the Anthem.

I will say my old AVM20 is much more flexible than the Marantz as far as setup and stuff.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22897 Post(s)
Liked: 12522
Quote:
Huh? The vast majority of Audyssey owners are thrilled with the EQ results based on thousands of posts over the years since it was first released, most especially with XT32 which is featured on your SR6013. Try it now with the SR6013 rather than waiting and you might just find yourself as one of those Audyssey fanboys as well.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Is there anyone who has used both XT32 and ARC and would be willing to comment on the differences?

This has been discussed many times before; try the search function.

The AVS search function sucks at times, so you might try google: audyssey vs. arc site:avsforum.com

Noah
post #13 of 13 Old 12-04-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Huh? The vast majority of Audyssey owners are thrilled with the EQ results based on thousands of posts over the years since it was first released, most especially with XT32 which is featured on your SR6013. Try it now with the SR6013 rather than waiting and you might just find yourself as one of those Audyssey fanboys as well.
I have had XT32 on more than one AVR. Always produced inferior sound when turned on.

I am in the minority, however I am not fascinated with all the bells and whistles as some are. Also i do not sell units with Audyssey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page