How should I power my 5 subs and last 2 channels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How should I power my 5 subs and last 2 channels

I have a Denon AVR-4500H receiver and I need an amp to power may last 2 channels for my 7.5.4 setup. I also need an amp/s to power my 5 subwoofers. I am building 5 towers with 4 of the 12" JBLs GX1200 speakers. What are the best amplifiers for my setup and what cables do I need to connect them?

If you need more details of my build please look at this link
DIY Dedicated Home Theater - 7.5(20).4 build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For the subs, the Behringer NX DSP series seem like the way to go. I have the older iNuke models and my only complaint is they don't have a 12v trigger so if you don't want to manually turn them on/off you have to get a bit creative. They would probably work for Atmos speakers too, but AudioSource seems to be the budget choice.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@Cotton1 love the pic of the wife holding up the atmos boxes . My wife just yells...why are you adding speakers to the ceiling?Also, I have that same trundle bed in my den for the little kiddos' sleepovers. Priceless!

Ok, so 304 sq ft is pretty small for what are you are planning! Overkill might be an understatement ! Anyway, yes as mocs123 said, behringer nx for subs because of the dsp, other choice are d-sonic, outlaw (on sale now) and emotiva. For the atmos or surrounds then niles, audiosource, dayton audio (PE), pyle or you could even use your old avr.

p.s. how are the volts 10s? Once I am done with the cs1214 end tables I want to do the LCR and its between the volts 10, ht10 and htm10 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

@eriksells916
My wife has been very supportive of the whole project if I just stop talking about it to her. I actually put up the bed for sale today so I could clear out the room.

I am very confused on how I am going to be cabling all this stuff. Particularly how I am going to integrate the MiniDSP and the amps.
Lets just say I buy 2 of the Behringer NX3000 in the below example and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD

My Denon Receiver has 2 PRE OUT RCA ports for the subwoofers. I connect those to the 2 RCA Input ports on the MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Then I connect 2 of the RCA Output ports on the MiniDSP into the 2 XLR Inputs on the Behringer NX3000. Then I connect the other 2 RCA Output ports on the MiniDSP into the 2 XLR Inputs on another Behringer NX3000. Then I connect the XLR Outputs on each Behringer NX3000 to each of my subs. The problem I run into is I was planning on having 5 subs. How do I get the 5th sub to connect through the MiniDSP? Should I be getting a different MiniDSP that has more outputs?

For the last 2 atmos channels I was thinking of using the Behringer NX1000. Is this a good choice?

I am just now building all this stuff so I don't have the Volt 10s yet. I went to order them but they are currently out of stock. As soon as they are available again I will be ordering 8 of them.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

@LastButNotLeast

Would you mind having a look at my above post? I know you are familiar with what I am building and these subwoofers. I am trying to get the AMPs, miniDSP, and anything else expensive I need ordered tonight before sales start disappearing.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@Cotton1 ha ha nice! No need for the expensive dsp version of the inuke, you can get any good 2 channel amp if you are using a separate minidsp 2x4.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

@eriksells916

I don't know what a good 2 channel amp would be.

I was looking at getting the MiniDSP 4x10 HD but then I saw the MiniDSP 10x10HD was only $100 more. I think this would fix my problem with the miniDSP 2x4 not working with 5 subwoofers and 2 channels for atmos.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2656 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
I am very confused on how I am going to be cabling all this stuff. Particularly how I am going to integrate the MiniDSP and the amps.
Lets just say I buy 2 of the Behringer NX3000 in the below example and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD

My Denon Receiver has 2 PRE OUT RCA ports for the subwoofers. I connect those to the 2 RCA Input ports on the MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Then I connect 2 of the RCA Output ports on the MiniDSP into the 2 XLR Inputs on the Behringer NX3000. Then I connect the other 2 RCA Output ports on the MiniDSP into the 2 XLR Inputs on another Behringer NX3000. Then I connect the XLR Outputs on each Behringer NX3000 to each of my subs. The problem I run into is I was planning on having 5 subs. How do I get the 5th sub to connect through the MiniDSP? Should I be getting a different MiniDSP that has more outputs?
One output from your AVR goes to the miniDSP. You then have four separate outputs from the miniDSP to do whatever; you only need one input to the amp for two speakers. The other output from your AVR is just a clone of the first, and it can go to another miniDSP, another amp, whatever. You'll need rca to xlr adapters (or cables, depending on what you already have). Since you're building your subs, you can put xlr sockets on them to make things easier.
I use the eq on the amp to get the speakers set up, then use the miniDSP for BEQ as needed (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html).
Each sub needs an amp channel, so with 5 subs you'll need 3 amps (so you'll have one channel left for a BOSS ). Each channel of the miniDSP has "only" six (five?) filters, so you may want two channels of filters for each output. I recall some problem with the bigger miniDSPs, so you may be better off with 2 2x4s.
So I see one AVR with two sub-outs, each to one 2x4 miniDSP, one to two amps (each amp to two subs) and the other to one (and one sub).
I don't want to imagine what the wiring is going to involve.
This is why people go with separates and rack systems.
Contact Erich about the Volts. He's very helpful and honest about his products.
I haven't been to your build thread yet and it's too late tonight; I'm sure you're getting lots of useful information there.
Let me know how you convinced your wife to sleep in a room without a bed (but with LOTS of speakers).
Have fun.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page