<$500 receiver help please :) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916

post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
<$500 receiver help please :)

I have a DENON AVR-3802 but I'm thinking of getting the Sony STR-DN1080 since it's rated very highly, it fits my price range, and it may work well with my Sony XBR900E TV. I don't know what the 4K HMDI input would do for me, since my TV has enough inputs, and I output SPDIF from my TV to my Denon to get all my sound. I'm running 5.1 and the sound is good, but I think a new receiver like this would give me more options to improve sound when I want to expand to 7.1 or more. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g158STN1080-B.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	2648440   Click image for larger version

Name:	denon-avr-3802-120812.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2648442  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@Kayla yes sony 1080 has good reviews and from what I hear they play well with sony tv's as well.

other options to research

Onkyo - 686/787

Yamaha - tsr-7850 (costco)
Pioneer - vsx-lx303
Denon - x3500 (just above budget)
Peja likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Doesn't SPDIF compress the sound even though it is 5.1?
Does a source going through the receiver first then to TV sound better? I think it would.
Will you have that option?

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@Kayla yes sony 1080 has good reviews and from what I hear they play well with sony tv's as well.

other options to research

Onkyo - 686/787

Yamaha - tsr-7850 (costco)
Pioneer - vsx-lx303
Denon - x3500 (just above budget)
Thanks! I read a bunch just now on the Denon you suggested and it looks really good. I'm definitely leaning towards that over the Sony now.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Kayla if you can up your budget it has full preouts, earc, a ton of hdmi inputs (run all sources through it) phono and has the top audyssey room correction, xt32, which can calibrate dual subs.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@Kayla if you can up your budget it has full preouts, earc, a ton of hdmi inputs (run all sources through it) phono and has the top audyssey room correction, xt32, which can calibrate dual subs.
Yes, I was reading a lot about the room correction feature. I've always read about that, but never had a receiver that could do it. I'd really like to hear what kind of improvement it makes in my living room.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Kayla It's interesting because some love it and others hate it, but there is a new $20 app that allows you to customize the curve to your liking. I have no clue how it works, but here ya go!

This is an audioholics quick review https://www.audioholics.com/editoria...teq-editor-app

Here is the dedicated thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pre-pros.html
post #8 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalya View Post
Yes, I was reading a lot about the room correction feature. I've always read about that, but never had a receiver that could do it. I'd really like to hear what kind of improvement it makes in my living room.
I don't know whether Audyssey XT32 would be life changing, but it might be. Some people prefer to use no automatic equalization, others limit it to below 300 or 500 Hz, others use full range. (I do the latter; I've tried limiting it, but it didn't make a huge difference to my ears.)

It is bundled with SubEq, which allows semi-independent equalization of two subwoofers. I am not aware of any other receiver at that price that includes that feature.

If you go for the Denon, I recommend getting the MultEq Editor app. https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ulteqeditorapp It costs $20. In my experience, it's a bit buggy, but it works. I've had the best luck running it under the Blue Stacks Android emulator (freeware) on a Windows 10 PC. If you wish to do any experimentation with Audyssey settings, it can be a great time saver. It has capabilities that don't exist in the Audyssey version in the receiver. There's a thread for the editor. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pre-pros.html The main problem with it is a lack of a manual, but there's a third party guide available. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8nnkmceff...20App.pdf?dl=0

I apologize for committing the usual forum sins of encouraging a poster to spend more money than intended, and to get more involved in the hobby than intended. The cost overage isn't much, though.

Last edited by bobknavs; 12-02-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
post #10 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I don't know whether Audyssey XT32 would be life changing, but it might be. Some people prefer to use no automatic equalization, others limit it to below 300 or 500 Hz, others use full range. (I do the latter; I've tried limiting it, but it didn't make a huge difference to my ears.)

It is bundled with SubEq, which allows semi-independent equalization of two subwoofers. I am not aware of any other receiver at that price that includes that feature.

If you go for the Denon, I recommend getting the MultEq Editor app. https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ulteqeditorapp It costs $20. In my experience, it's a bit buggy, but it works. I've had the best luck running it under the Blue Stacks Android emulator (freeware) on a Windows 10 PC. If you wish to do any experimentation with Audyssey settings, it can be a great time saver. It has capabilities that don't exist in the Audyssey version in the receiver. There's a thread for the editor. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pre-pros.html The main problem with it is a lack of a manual, but there's a third party guide available. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8nnkmceff...20App.pdf?dl=0

I apologize for committing the usual forum sins of encouraging a poster to spend more money than intended, and to get more involved in the hobby than intended. The cost overage isn't much, though.
Wow, thanks for all the information and links! You obviously are an expert on this. And if an extra $20 makes a noticeable improvement, I'd definitely do it.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalya View Post
Wow, thanks for all the information and links! You obviously are an expert on this. And if an extra $20 makes a noticeable improvement, I'd definitely do it.
I wish that I was an expert, but thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page