Recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Recommendation

Would a 105 watt receiver have enough power for a room 16' x 20' , sloped ceiling that goes from 8 to 11 feet high? Room has no treatments.I use mainly for, streaming70%,Blu-Rays20% and Music,10%. Running modded infinity primus towers and infinity surrounds.Was looking at Denon Avr x4500h and Denon Avr x3600h. Both units have way more options than I need but I like Audessey room correction.I currently own a TX NR Onkyo 818 which has 135 watts per channel but I am upgrading my TV to a 4K model which the 818 does not support 4K pass through. Upgrade one and always have to upgrade another ;0). Any input would be appreciated.
P.S.,runing 7to 1 setup.

Last edited by sixtytooneratio; 12-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 116
105W, that sounds like a Denon receiver. Determining factors would be how loud you like to listen, how efficient your speakers are and room size (how much space you're trying to fill). One way around the 4K pass-thru issue would be to connect the DVD/BD/4K player directly to the TV instead of going through the receiver. Your other HDMI sources can connect the same way.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Wattage shouldn’t be a determining factor when picking receivers as the difference between a 75 watt one and 150 watt one is 3dB.

Look for features. If your system is not getting loud enough or sounding how you wish it to, then you need to change your speakers.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Wattage shouldn’t be a determining factor when picking receivers as the difference between a 75 watt one and 150 watt one is 3dB.

Look for features. If your system is not getting loud enough or sounding how you wish it to, then you need to change your speakers.

Usually the 75w AVR would have a crap powersupply compared to the 150w one unless they are fudging the numbers a lot. There are exceptions but assume comparable brands.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Usually the 75w AVR would have a crap powersupply compared to the 150w one unless they are fudging the numbers a lot. There are exceptions but assume comparable brands.

I was just trying to cover the widest range of receivers, as generally the differences between them all are minimal.

He was looking in the right direction anyways, Denon X series, but I see what you are saying.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I was just trying to cover the widest range of receivers, as generally the differences between them all are minimal.

He was looking in the right direction anyways, Denon X series, but I see what you are saying.

The denon x series is a good direction to look yes, good features and room correction, powersupply and amp sections are decent.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
most of the denon seem to have very low power ratings compared to similar brands. following here
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Otis View Post
most of the denon seem to have very low power ratings compared to similar brands. following here
That is the reason I posted my question.I read someones review,it may have been on Crutchfield, that the receiver volume had to be turned up quite high compared to the one that he replaced,both being equal wattage.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6592 Post(s)
Liked: 6004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
That is the reason I posted my question.I read someones review,it may have been on Crutchfield, that the receiver volume had to be turned up quite high compared to the one that he replaced,both being equal wattage.
You cannot make comparisons of "power" based on the number the master volume is set at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page