New vs old amp sound. (Marantz and Denon) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By theriverlethe

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New vs old amp sound. (Marantz and Denon)

I have had a Marantz 6005 for about 10 years now and am looking to upgrade from 7.1(2) to Atmos 7.4.2. The speakers in my theater are RBH Signature's and I've really enjoyed this setup and how it sounds. The room is slightly acoustically dead 16x23x8 (I have a build thread here with more info) and I run around 0db to -12db depending on if it's me or others who don't like it as loud. My #1 goal in upgrading is to keep the same sound, or as close to, that I have now but add 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos.

As I've looked for a new AVR I'm debating on the often debated Denon 6500H vs the Marantz SR8012. Everyone talks about how similar they are and how good they are for sound reproduction, but I'm curious about how both of these new amps sound compared to older amps like my 5006. I have a good ear like most people here and there's a huge difference between my theater and another room that has a Denon 4500 and Triad bronze speakers, I really don't care much for how that setup sounds (In its defense, it's a non-treated open room with lots of reflections). I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks and getting the denon 6500 (not sure if the extra power from the Marantz 8012 is needed?) but I'm a bit worried the denon voice on the 6500H would change how my theater sounds. Also, I'm not sure a newer Marantz has the same voice as an older amp either.

Can anyone comment on new vs old amps and how they sound when using the same speakers?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@distoga I believe your old sr6005 had the far inferior audyssey eq. All of the DM x3xxx up have xt32, which is light years better.

Now, I have only heard the marantz separates (av7703) and emotiva amps so i cannot comment on sound. I can say the x6500 and sr8012 have superior internal parts and dacs, so I imagine you will be pleasantly surprised with the sound!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@distoga I believe your old sr6005 had the far inferior audyssey eq. All of the DM x3xxx up have xt32, which is light years better.

Now, I have only heard the marantz separates (av7703) and emotiva amps so i cannot comment on sound. I can say the x6500 and sr8012 have superior internal parts and dacs, so I imagine you will be pleasantly surprised with the sound!
Sure, the sr6005 has the old audyssey eq software but I'm not interested in how that EQ's is adjusted. I'm more interested in how the amplifier hardware/design itself effects sound and how an older marantz like mine compares to newer marantz or denon amplifiers. There's a lot of electronics that have changed in 10 years and it's the hardware differences I'm curious about and how the sound has changed in that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Marantz and Denon are now the same company and I doubt you could hear a difference between the amplifiers themselves. Golden ear or not. They all have more or less the same power. The sound will be different because of the room correction. Both use Audyssey. Some/Most people like it. Others don't. I suggest buying one with a good return policy and try it out.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by distoga View Post
I have had a Marantz 6005 for about 10 years now and am looking to upgrade from 7.1(2) to Atmos 7.4.2. The speakers in my theater are RBH Signature's and I've really enjoyed this setup and how it sounds. The room is slightly acoustically dead 16x23x8 (I have a build thread here with more info) and I run around 0db to -12db depending on if it's me or others who don't like it as loud. My #1 goal in upgrading is to keep the same sound, or as close to, that I have now but add 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos.

As I've looked for a new AVR I'm debating on the often debated Denon 6500H vs the Marantz SR8012. Everyone talks about how similar they are and how good they are for sound reproduction, but I'm curious about how both of these new amps sound compared to older amps like my 5006. I have a good ear like most people here and there's a huge difference between my theater and another room that has a Denon 4500 and Triad bronze speakers, I really don't care much for how that setup sounds (In its defense, it's a non-treated open room with lots of reflections). I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks and getting the denon 6500 (not sure if the extra power from the Marantz 8012 is needed?) but I'm a bit worried the denon voice on the 6500H would change how my theater sounds. Also, I'm not sure a newer Marantz has the same voice as an older amp either.

Can anyone comment on new vs old amps and how they sound when using the same speakers?

Thanks.
So, you point out that the rooms are totally different, and attribute the difference in sound to amplifiers?
Lonewolf7002 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 562
You say you don't like the sound of the 4500 in a different and non-treated room with different speakers. Since it's usually the room and speakers that make the biggest differences compared to electronics, have you tried the 4500 in your home theatre in place of the 6005? It's quite possible the difference in sound you hear is due to room/speakers.

The Denon 6500 is just a higher model of the 4500 so I would expect them to "sound" pretty much the same.

You also don't say whether you are using Audyssey or not in either room.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriverlethe View Post
So, you point out that the rooms are totally different, and attribute the difference in sound to amplifiers?
And speakers. Triad+denon+no room correction vs rbh+marantz+room correction. Obviously difference expected in sound and I'm trying to learn what all is involved.

KidHorn answered my question about the amps involvement, that Denon and Marantz amps sound similar enough that the amp doesn't matter. Maybe a follow up question is if older marantz like the sr6005 sound different than newer marantz/denon?

The foundation of my question is that I've seen comments over the years that Marantz is a warmer sound and denon was brighter. I didn't give it much though until I put in my denon setup last year and I noticed that was true in my case. For me, I don't like the denon+triad+no room correction setup sound. Obviously there are a lot of variables between those two setups. I was wondering if maybe the amp or what all was involved in the reason for the difference. Thus why I wondered if newer Marantz sound like newer Denon's or if Marantz ?still? had a unique warmth to them.

The comments about marantz being warmer and denon brighter I never did see a reason or proof for those comments. I had wondered if there was hidden firmware eq as well but figured I'd start with just asking about the amp and power supply design as a start.

I'm using audyssey in both setups, I'll try turning it off. I'll also see about testing the 4500 in the rbh+room correction room.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
I'm using audyssey in both setups, I'll try turning it off. I'll also see about testing the 4500 in the rbh+room correction room.
The best way for you to see if there are any differences between the 6005 and the 4500 are to eliminate any other variables. Putting the 4500 in place of the 6005 and using the same speakers in the same location in the same room is the way to do that. You won't be able to tell if there is any noticeable difference between the two AVRs until you do.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22887 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:

Thanks.
Both models should provide the same amount of power.

Quote:
Sure, the sr6005 has the old audyssey eq software but I'm not interested in how that EQ's is adjusted. I'm more interested in how the amplifier hardware/design itself effects sound and how an older marantz like mine compares to newer marantz or denon amplifiers. There's a lot of electronics that have changed in 10 years and it's the hardware differences I'm curious about and how the sound has changed in that area.
Except that going from MultEQ --> XT32 will provide the biggest improvement in audio quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page