Did I buy a good receiver? Is it overkill? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did I buy a good receiver? Is it overkill?

I have a hybrid home theatre and audio setup with the following
  • PSB Image T6 Towers
  • PSB Image C4 Center
  • PSB Imagine XB Bookshelves
  • Harmon Kardon Subwoofer
  • Project Debut Carbon Turntable
  • Just sold: 65" Samsung 1080p LCD
  • Just sold: Harmon Kardon HT-RC160
  • Just ordered: 75" Samsung 4k LCD
  • Just ordered: Denon X3600h receiver

The receiver was definitely expensive, but given it's a home theatre receiver is it still fine for audiophile vinyl listening? How is the phono pre-amp? Is there a better option for me in the price range (or even cheaper) that will give me good sound with home theatre potential?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I can't answer the phono-pre amp question, but if you are looking to save a few $$ you can probably find a X3500 (last years model) or even a X4400 for less than you paid for the X3600. I don't think there were any major upgrades to the Xx600 series from the Xx500 or Xx400 models from previous years.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #3 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I can't answer the phono-pre amp question, but if you are looking to save a few $$ you can probably find a X3500 (last years model) or even a X4400 for less than you paid for the X3600. I don't think there were any major upgrades to the Xx600 series from the Xx500 or Xx400 models from previous years.

More channels and better heatsinks/layout afaik.
No idea what price paid or if hes somewhere that can get the US 3500 prices. The 3600 is a very good unit and except the 3500(cheaper) you wont find better elsewhere, yamaha and such have similar models though but they are similarly and up priced or lacking some features. The jump down to the lower segment is somewhat high since the 3x00 have better room correction, pre outs, real support for dual subs and i think better powersupply also. Its a very good model so you didnt overbuy, the lower models are lacking, and the higher models cost a bit more mostly just for more powerand channels. Its possible you could have saved some with a 3500 but thats depending on country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Sounds like you have a 5.1 setup. Can't speak to phono inputs, but you could have likely bought a receiver for a fraction of what you paid that will sound about the same with a 5.1 setup. You're paying a lot for being able to process 11 channels and 9 internal amplifiers.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Did I buy a good receiver? Is it overkill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Sounds like you have a 5.1 setup. Can't speak to phono inputs, but you could have likely bought a receiver for a fraction of what you paid that will sound about the same with a 5.1 setup. You're paying a lot for being able to process 11 channels and 9 internal amplifiers.

If he uses room correction, the better audyssey version is much better then the lesser versions. His speakers are 89dB/6ohm so not very easy to drive and the bigger combined powersupply will help even more when only using 5.1, the 5.1 AVRs today are a lot for the money but not very good.
IAH likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
If he uses room correction, the better audyssey version is much better then the lesser versions. His speakers are 89dB/6ohm so not very easy to drive and the bigger combined powersupply will help even more when only using 5.1, the 5.1 AVRs today are a lot for the money but not very good.
I've used a lot of different room correction systems. Including Audyssey XT32. I think the differences between them are overblown. I've never noticed much difference. I think YPAO is better. At least in my setups. As far as power goes, you can't really tell much of a difference in terms of volume unless one amp is substantially stronger than another. You need 10x the power to perceive 2x the volume. Most would be amazed at how little difference there is between 10 watts and 50 watts.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22895 Post(s)
Liked: 12520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzdh View Post
  • PSB Image T6 Towers
  • PSB Image C4 Center

The receiver was definitely expensive, but given it's a home theatre receiver is it still fine for audiophile vinyl listening? How is the phono pre-amp? Is there a better option for me in the price range (or even cheaper) that will give me good sound with home theatre potential?
The X3600H (as well as last year's X3500H) are the lowest models in their respective year releases that feature the highest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which provides significantly better results than MultEQ and XT used on the lower models.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I've used a lot of different room correction systems. Including Audyssey XT32. I think the differences between them are overblown. I've never noticed much difference. I think YPAO is better. At least in my setups. As far as power goes, you can't really tell much of a difference in terms of volume unless one amp is substantially stronger than another. You need 10x the power to perceive 2x the volume. Most would be amazed at how little difference there is between 10 watts and 50 watts.

I was a bit unclear, im not comparing xt32 with YPAO or dirac, just older/lesser versions of audyssey. Personally i turn audyssey off but most use it.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
  • PSB Image T6 Towers
  • PSB Image C4 Center

If you're unhappy with the phono stage, for a modest price you can get a really good external stage like this one:

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
If you're unhappy with the phono stage, for a modest price you can get a really good external stage like this one:

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani
I have a project phono pre amp. Do you think the external stage will be better?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
I have a project phono pre amp. Do you think the external stage will be better?
I can't comment as I haven't heard either.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Depends on the features you want, but the X3400h and newer are good AVRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page