Need help. Looking for a 9.2 receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Need help. Looking for a 9.2 receiver

I’m looking to upgrade from my denon x2400h to a 9.2 AVR. I saw that amazon has the Marantz SR6013 for 899.99. Would this be a good choice or is it out of date? It’s last years model I think. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Would like to stay in that range or (preferably) less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The Marantz SR6013 is still a great receiver to this day. The only difference between the 2018 model and the current 2019 model the SR6014 is that the latter adds IMAX Enhanced, a couple of HDMI 2.1 features, and Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (Dolby's answer to DTS Virtual:X which helps create immersive audio on standard stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 setups).

America elevates you to another level.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22894 Post(s)
Liked: 12519
As a reminder, no price discussion in other than the "Deals" sticky thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ls-sticky.html

Review post 1 of the 2019 Marantz AVR Owner's thread for new features provided --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-6-a.html

If of no interest to you, then the 2018 SR6013 would be an excellent choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
The Marantz SR6013 is still a great receiver to this day. The only difference between the 2018 model and the current 2019 model the SR6014 is that the latter adds IMAX Enhanced, a couple of HDMI 2.1 features, and Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (Dolby's answer to DTS Virtual:X which helps create immersive audio on standard stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 setups).
What’s the difference between Dolby surround and DTS neural x and height virtualization?
post #5 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
What’s the difference between Dolby surround and DTS neural x and height virtualization?
Dolby Surround is, er, surround. 5 or 7 base speakers, and no height speakers.

DTS Neural:X upmixes non-3D inputs to provide signals to height speakers.

DTS Virtual:X https://dts.com/virtualx Virtual:X uses DSP to produce height effects without any height speakers.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Dolby Surround upmixer (DSU) is Dolby's simulation mode to simulate audio to the additional speakers above the source mix to include height speakers (eg. DD 5.1 --> 5.1.4).

DTS Neural:X is DTS's version of the above and also tends to throw more information to the height speakers than does DSU.

Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is Dolby's mode to simulate height effects when there are no height speakers configured.

DTS Virtual:X is DTS's version of the above.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am really happy with the way my denon sounds, just want to add more speakers. I was reading up on marantz and have read that they are more music focused. Will this sound as good as the denon for movies? I don’t use my home theater for music that often
post #8 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am really happy with the way my denon sounds, just want to add more speakers. I was reading up on marantz and have read that they are more music focused. Will this sound as good as the denon for movies? I don’t use my home theater for music that often
That being the case, you may also want to consider the Denon X3600H. Unlike the SR6013 which only features a round porthole front panel display, the X3600H features a single line display if it is important for you to view information on the front panel (although this same information can be displayed on the TV by pressing the INFO button on the remote).
post #9 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys. I am really happy with the way my denon sounds, just want to add more speakers. I was reading up on marantz and have read that they are more music focused. Will this sound as good as the denon for movies? I don’️t use my home theater for music that often
That being the case, you may also want to consider the Denon X3600H. Unlike the SR6013 which only features a round porthole front panel display, the X3600H features a single line display if it is important for you to view information on the front panel (although this same information can be displayed on the TV by pressing the INFO button on the remote).
The porthole doesn’t really bother me. More concerned about sound quality for movie watching. The denon is a little more than I wanted to pay. I was considering the marantz or maybe the Onkyo tx-nr797
post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
There's no such thing as musical receiver. Denon and Marantz are the same company and I would expect their corresponding models to sound pretty much the same.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The porthole doesn’t really bother me. More concerned about sound quality for movie watching. The denon is a little more than I wanted to pay. I was considering the marantz or maybe the Onkyo tx-nr797
The Marantz HDAM pre-amp modules on the "SR" models (eg. SR6013) are known to provide for a better musical listening experience which is why they are recommended for more serious 2CH music listeners. Both Denon and Marantz work equally well with movie/TV listening.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@bobbyjames the nr797 is a good option for a nice living room theater setup where you might need a second zone and have highly efficient speakers, like Klipsch.

The sr6013 is taking it to the next level. It can expand to 11 possible atmos channels, it has 7 channel analog inputs for sacd music playback, it has full preouts for external amplification and true dual zone hdmi with a 3rd mirrored display option. It also has the top audyssey room correction solution and can calibrate dual subs to 10hz, unlike the Onkyo. All of that for only $200 more.....if you need those features?

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page