• 1 Post By KidHorn
  • 2 Post By bonscott

post #1 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Emotiva?

Guys I am a little new to HT and a lot of the equipment out there. However, Emotiva is a company that I have been aware of from some time not but I don't know much about them.

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on their products? where do they fit in the HT market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I started buying from Emotiva around 2014. I saw them as "high-end on the cheap". The first item I purchased was their XPA-5 which was $799 at the time and a great deal. I later purchased cables, power conditioners, UMC-1, MC-700, speakers and a UMC-200. Except for the UMC-1 everything was very good for the money. I find their receivers and processors inconsistent and have a lot of hardware and software issues. My UMC-200 had a power supply issue they wouldn't repair. I can't sell my UMC-1 for anywhere close to half of what I paid because of the issues and their electronics seem to get more an more expensive. Speakers seems to be pretty reasonable, but they don't seem to stay around very long before getting discontinued. I would look really close at reviews and buyer feedback before purchasing. They have new processors, so I'm interested in hearing if these have similar issues, or if they've finally got a handle on QA.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Not sure what the status is today but Emotiva was pretty well-regarded a few years back, especially for their amps. (I've owned a trouble-free UPA-5 for years.) Their speakers are supposed to be pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 260
You’re going to get a wide variety of responses to your question, but I’m going to try to give you an honest and fair perspective from a long time customer...

I’ve been an Emotiva customer since 2009 and have owned (and continue to own) thousands of dollars worth of their equipment.

I currently use two of their amplifiers (DR-2 and XPA-9), their XSP-1 analog preamp, a 7 speaker "bed channel" setup using their current line of Airmotiv passive loudspeakers, their DC-1 DAC and ERC-3 CD player.

I’m quite happy with what I’m using and it works (and sounds) exceptional. It also didn’t break the bank for me to get there.

Having said this, I would highly advise avoiding their A/V processors if you want something that works with very little trouble and doesn’t require a multitude of workarounds for basic day-to-day operation. I have owned their UMC-1, UMC-200 and XMC-1 (with the HDMI 2.0b HDMI board upgrade). Their processors sound exceptional, but that’s of little benefit when they can’t reliably perform their principle function without jumping through hoops.

Although I still admire and support the brand, I've had to throw in the towel on their processors and have moved on to another brand that, while may not sound “quite” as good, works exactly how it is supposed to each and every time I turn it on.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by DOC1963; 12-05-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
You’re going to get a wide variety of responses to your question, but I’m going to try to give you an honest and fair perspective from a long time customer...

I’ve been an Emotiva customer since 2009 and have owned (and continue to own) thousands of dollars worth of their equipment.

I currently use two of their amplifiers (DR-2 and XPA-9), their XSP-1 analog preamp, a 7 speaker "bed channel" setup using their current line of Airmotiv passive loudspeakers, their DC-1 DAC and ERC-3 CD player.

I’m quite happy with what I’m using and it works (and sounds) exceptional. It also didn’t break the bank for me to get there.

Having said this, I would highly advise avoiding their A/V processors if you want something that works with very little trouble and doesn’t require a multitude of workarounds for basic day-to-day operation. I have owned their UMC-1, UMC-200 and XMC-1 (with the HDMI 2.0b HDMI board upgrade). Their processors sound exceptional, but that’s of little benefit when they can’t reliably perform their principle function without jumping through hoops.

Although I still admire and support the brand, I've had to throw in the towel on their processors and have moved on to another brand that, while may not sound “quite” as good, works exactly how it is supposed to each and every time I turn it on.

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the reply. I kinda felt like their amps might be a good way to go but I’ve never seen any of their product in person.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharper3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I kinda felt like their amps might be a good way to go but I’ve never seen any of their product in person.
I just ordered a XPA -7 Amp. First Emotiva product Reviews are mostly positive on there Amps. Although no company makes 100% of the people happy so there always going to be someone unhappy no matter what it is.

Sony XBR-65X930E, Denon AVR X6200W, Emotiva XPA 7, Definitive Technology BP7001SC, CLR 3000, BPVX x2, UIW111x2
SVS SB16 Ultra x2. Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203. 5.2.2
post #7 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I can definitely say if you saw an xpa3 or xpa5 gen 3 in person you will be impressed by its finish and it’s overall outer appearance. In my opinion Emotiva actually surprisingly looks very nice in person. At least in the black/brushed black aluminum front bezel color that I have previous experience and the pleasure of owning in the not so distant past.

Do it all or don't do it at all.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
I have 2 subs and 2 sets of surround speakers. All were bought on closeout at a heavy discount. They all work great.

They're mainly an amp company and have a good overall rep as far as I can tell. They and outlaw are probably the top 2 internet direct reasonably priced amp companies.
yanks1 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I have 2 subs and 2 sets of surround speakers. All were bought on closeout at a heavy discount. They all work great.

They're mainly an amp company and have a good overall rep as far as I can tell. They and outlaw are probably the top 2 internet direct reasonably priced amp companies.
I’ll have to look into Outlaw and do come comparison.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I’ll have to look into Outlaw and do come comparison.
I was interested in Outlaw also, but many people on this forum say for the price is old technology. But I might bite the bullet.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_mom View Post
I was interested in Outlaw also, but many people on this forum say for the price is old technology. But I might bite the bullet.
LOL at "old technology" Sometimes NEWER is not always better. Case in point FOR ME is the newer Gen 3 of the XPA series. Having had an XPA3 and an XPA7 and the big buy XPA11, I can say that they sound nowhere near as good as a Gen 2 in my system and I would take an "old technology" Outlaw amp over the Gen3 every single day of the week. Now, in case you are thinking I am a "emo basher", nothing could be further from the truth. (well, except for their processors which all suck, imo) I LOVED the XPA Gen 1 and Gen 2 amps. Built like tanks and sounded great! My all time faves are the MPS-2 and the UPA-7. When they were closing out the upa-5 and upa-7, I should have taken a second mortgage out and bought them all as they sell for more now than they did when they were being discontinued. THAT'S how good their amps were and priced well to boot!

Never messed with their speaker line much but heard good things about them.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would not buy or not buy anything based on peoples comments on this forum. The majority of people that are happy with products dont post at all. If I believed every Yelp Review I would never go out to dinner anywhere
tigerhonaker and Will P like this.

Sony XBR-65X930E, Denon AVR X6200W, Emotiva XPA 7, Definitive Technology BP7001SC, CLR 3000, BPVX x2, UIW111x2
SVS SB16 Ultra x2. Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203. 5.2.2
post #13 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post

Hope this helps...

This is spot on. I had the UMC200 and the XMC1, was planning on the trade-up, but instead just shipped off the XMC1 to a new owner and put an Anthem AVM60 into my rack.

I don’t trust them to get a processor past the 90% finished mark before moving on to their next line.

That said, I’m still using one of their amps and within the last hour received notification that another of their amps has been delivered (Atmos channels).

I love what they’re trying to do, but they’re in over their head when it comes to AV processors. They promise too much, and can’t deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #14 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
I would not buy or not buy anything based on peoples comments on this forum. The majority of people that are happy with products dont post at all. If I believed every Yelp Review I would never go out to dinner anywhere

This is a great point, and anyone interested should go to the Emotiva Lounge, a forum operated by Emotiva for their customers. That forum is primarily current owners. Plenty of unrest over there, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #15 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 3
what about the Monoprice Monolith 7x200 amp..
post #16 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I am running a full Emotiva Airmotive speaker system for my 5.x.4 Dolby Atmos setup. I use the T1's for both my front and rear left & right speakers, a C2 for my center channel speaker, and 2 pairs of E1's for my over speakers in top front and top rear configuration. I have been extremely happy with their performance especially for the price. I have even picked up another pair of E1's so I can eventually expand to 6 overhead speakers and I found a used set of B1 bookshelfs super cheap on OfferUp so I can expand the bed layer to 7 channels. Eventually I will get another pair of speakers (not sure which model yet) so I can further expand out to 9 bed layer channels and have the full 9.x.6 capability. But with everything I have currently, I am only about $2000 in for all those speakers! That is hard to beat for the sound quality you get. The trade off is that the speakers are not "pretty" per se. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't mind the way they look (neither does my wife for that matter thankfully). Unfortunately, I was not able to take advantage of their black Friday deals when they had a few old stock T1's they got rid of. they sold out fast.

I also have been using a BASX A-500 amplifier. It's a great little amp. Sounds good. Has a respectable amount of power. Looks really nice too. The only way you can really do better is going the used route. I am actually a big fan of this and have been starting to 'upgrade' on the cheap. The only downfall here is that you have to constantly monitor the various websites for listings and have a lot of patience for the right item to appear. And be ready to jump on it when the opportunity presents itself!

Bottom line, based on my personal experience, Emotiva's speakers and amps are pretty solid overall (though some prefer the older generation XPA amps over the current Gen 3's), but their receivers and processors are a gamble. I have never owned an Emotiva receiver/processor personally, but have a couple of friends who have, so this opinion is exactly that, my opinion. Good luck with your decisions.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page