AV receiver extracting sound without TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
AV receiver extracting sound without TV?

Help me with my general knowledge, please.

I'm curious why a signal that goes through the AV receiver has to go to the TV then be sent back to the receiver for sound production. The signal was at the receiver first (source <HDMI> receiver <HDMI> TV <HDMI, Toslink, components> receiver <speaker wire> speakers -> sound). Why doesn't/can't the receiver extract the sound before it goes to the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker1 View Post

I'm curious why a signal that goes through the AV receiver has to go to the TV then be sent back to the receiver for sound production. The signal was at the receiver first (source <HDMI> receiver <HDMI> TV <HDMI, Toslink, components> receiver <speaker wire> speakers -> sound). Why doesn't/can't the receiver extract the sound before it goes to the TV?

They do, the sound isnt sent back from the TV.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

Huh? If your source is plugged into the AVR but audio is coming back into the AVR from the TV to get to the speakers, something isn't configured correctly.

What equipment do you have, and how is it hooked up?

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 212
If the sound is coming back from the TV you are on the wrong input on your receiver. The only time you want to hook the TV to your receiver with a toslink cable is if you are using TV apps or you use an antenna, otherwise you will want to be on the input of the device you are trying to hear.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | PSA MTM 210T (FL/FR) | PSA MTM 210C (Center) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (SL/SR/SB) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

Either you are setting up incorrectly or you are on to something.
Let's slowing down a bit
Start from source (that includes both audio and video signals) ----HDMI----> AVR.
On the back of the AVR, there should be a few HDMI inputs, take note which input you are plugging into, say HDMI-1.
At this point, audio signal should be and will be detected at the AVR if and only if you are switching to HDMI-1, not HDMI-2 or anything other input.
From the back of AVR, HDMI out will drive the video signal to the TV/monitor.
That's about it.

Now, if you get audio signal back from the TV, it must NOT be in HDMI-1 but could be labeled as TV or something else, but not HDMI-1. It doesn't matter you drive it (the audio signal) back to ARC or optical, it will be on different port, not HDMI-1.
Again, on your AVR, if you switch to, say TV, then you will hear NOTHING from your source.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
If you are watching Youtube from your source, say, from the Shield TV and you are watching Youtube directly from your TV.
They are different sources.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I must be explaining it wrong.

Let's say I have a cable set top box as a source that I feed to the AV Receiver (AVR) using HDMI. From the AVR I send the signal by HDMI to the TV.

If the TV and the AVR are both ARC (Audio Return Channel)-capable, that's all that's necessary, as the audio signal returns from the TV to the AVR using the same HDMI cable and then to the speakers.

If the TV or AVR are not ARC-capable, then the audio signal goes back to the AVR either by component cables, or optical-digital (Toslink).

I'm just wondering why ARC or Toslink are necessary at all - why can't the AVR extract the audio signal directly instead of having to get it back from the TV.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
I must be explaining it wrong.

Let's say I have a cable set top box as a source that I feed to the AV Receiver (AVR) using HDMI. From the AVR I send the signal by HDMI to the TV.

If the TV and the AVR are both ARC (Audio Return Channel)-capable, that's all that's necessary, as the audio signal returns from the TV to the AVR using the same HDMI cable and then to the speakers.

If the TV or AVR are not ARC-capable, then the audio signal goes back to the AVR either by component cables, or optical-digital (Toslink).

I'm just wondering why ARC or Toslink are necessary at all - why can't the AVR extract the audio signal directly instead of having to get it back from the TV.

ARC or optical is only needed if you use the TV apps or connect sources to the TV. If everything is connected to the AVR and you dont use the TVs own apps then you dont need and wont use ARC or optical. So you can remove the optical cable and turn off ARC.

The AVR doesnt send sound to the TV and then gets it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alan P and smcmillan2 like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
ARC or optical is only needed if you use the TV apps or connect sources to the TV. If everything is connected to the AVR and you dont use the TVs own apps then you dont need and wont use ARC or optical. So you can remove the optical cable and turn off ARC.

The AVR doesnt send sound to the TV and then gets it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. All of the setup diagrams describe connecting a Toslink, but now I understand that was for the onboard apps (that I don't use). The reason I asked was because it made no sense at all for the way I was using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page