Brief "static" sound heard on speakers when turning on integrated amp - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Brief "static" sound heard on speakers when turning on integrated amp

Hello all,

When i turn on my integrated amp, i hear a brief static sound on the speakers (about 3 seconds). I can nullify this by turning on the amp with no inputs plugged into it, i.e., disconnect the usb from laptop, disconnect the optical input from streamer, etc and then plug them in after the amp is turned on. I don't believe i heard this when i first bought the amp and this is a recent phenomenon. Any thoughts on this? It is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
This sound only seems to occur if a digital input (usb, coaxial or optical) is plugged in when turning the amp on. It does not occur when analog inputs are plugged in.

EDIT: It appears to have magically gone away.

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102

Last edited by William Abraham; 12-27-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: issue fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Do you hear a click from the amp shortly after turning it on? The amp should have what's called an anti-thump circuit, which is an automatic speaker switch. When it's off,the speakers are disconnected from the amp. When you power it on, the speakers remain disconnected, then after 5-10 seconds the circuit cuts out and connects the speakers to the amp.

The purpose of this is to prevent the initial power on transient from reaching the speakers - it can be powerful and results in a loud thump (hence the name anti-thump) thus protecting the speakers. It could also be used to prevent noises from being amplified while the amplifier is initializing and keeping those noises from being amplified and potentially destroying the speakers.

If the circuit is malfunctioning or broken, it could result in that happening. You know it works because it usually makes a click a few seconds after you turn it on. If you play an analog source then turn on the amp, you should not hear anything for a few seconds, then a click and then audio comes through. It you hear audio immediately then the anti thump is not working. There may be a configuration option to disable it, which you might want to check to make sure it's still enabled
post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Do you hear a click from the amp shortly after turning it on? The amp should have what's called an anti-thump circuit, which is an automatic speaker switch. When it's off,the speakers are disconnected from the amp. When you power it on, the speakers remain disconnected, then after 5-10 seconds the circuit cuts out and connects the speakers to the amp.

The purpose of this is to prevent the initial power on transient from reaching the speakers - it can be powerful and results in a loud thump (hence the name anti-thump) thus protecting the speakers. It could also be used to prevent noises from being amplified while the amplifier is initializing and keeping those noises from being amplified and potentially destroying the speakers.

If the circuit is malfunctioning or broken, it could result in that happening. You know it works because it usually makes a click a few seconds after you turn it on. If you play an analog source then turn on the amp, you should not hear anything for a few seconds, then a click and then audio comes through. It you hear audio immediately then the anti thump is not working. There may be a configuration option to disable it, which you might want to check to make sure it's still enabled
Yes, i hear the click, the anti-thump circuit is functional because i don't hear the 'thump' typical of the stone-age amps i used to have decades ago.
a) After i hear the amp's click, it is a 3 second static on both speakers that goes away.
b) The strange thing is that it only happens when i have the amp set to optical, coax or usb (all 3 digital inputs) on the input selector. When i mute the amp as soon as i turn it on, i can nullify it.
c) When i have the amp set to line/analog inputs on the input selector, it is not there.

What's the deal as mentioned above with just my digital inputs?!?! No other thread mentions anything similar.

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I know if I put my ears next to my 1099s I can hear static but unless I am 2in away it cant be heard

Marantz SR6013 DIYSG 1099s Volt 6s Dayton PA-460s Inuke 3000 MiniDSP 2x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page