The "Official" Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1053Likes

post #721 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post
Now that we have some issues reproduced by multiple users I went ahead and added a list of open issues to the first post. Please let me know if I've missed any that multiple users have reported.
Just curious about this issue: "When running a new Dirac calibration, a clean slot must be used, but it is not possible to clear existing Dirac slots".

If a clean slot must be used, what happens when you have run more Dirac calibrations than there are slots? IOW, if there are no clean slots left, what do you do? And is there an indication that a slot has been used, e.g. the description of the calibration in that slot?
When starting a Dirac calibration, load a clean/empty slot, but then save over a used one. Never save over your last clean/empty slot until the issue is resolved.
AustinJerry and RDaneel2 like this.

Main: Marantz AV8805, 5x Behringer NX4-6000, Epson 6050UB, Stewart Greyhawk 120", LG C8 65", DISH H3, Panasonic UB820, ATV4k, FTV4k, 7.2.6+2: DefTech BP2000, CLR2000, Di 5.5BPS, UIW BPZ/A, Di 8R, M&K MX-125. Bedroom: Yamaha RX-A3070, LG C8 55", DISH 4k Joey, FTV4k, 5.1.4: DT RCS II, RSS II, IW Sub Ref. Basement: Yamaha RX-A3040, 3x Marantz MA700U, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Panasonic P65VT50, 6.1: DT BP2000, CLR2000, Di 6.5R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Then you have to buy another HTP-1

Joking aside, these are typical beta issues we've seen with virtually all of the boutique processors in the last few years, be it Emotiva, Arcam, NAD, ... , and now Monoprice. It will take at least a year or more before these units are ready for prime time. The NAD v3's just recently went final, Arcam never fixed their units, Emotiva is in complete denial (see them compiling a list of devices that are "compatible" with their processors).
I would be OK with all of this if we were talking about a free or paid public beta test but all of these devices cost 4000 bucks or even more without any guaranty that the owner will ever have a bug free unit.

That's the sorry state of affairs.
As somebody in the market possibly for the JBL SDP 55 (at least on paper that is my favorite in my price range), I can' agree more that there seem to be so many issues across multiple companies releasing these pre/pro units. Emotiva is a joke but I actually like most of the other companies (Arcam, JBL, NAD, Monoprice). Monoprice seems to be leading the pack with the most recent releases with something that is very promising and mostly working correctly from first release. That is one thing I do appreciate about my Marantz 8802a and the previous Marantz' I had, they just worked...from day 1. Never issues and just reliable trouble free usage.
post #723 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
WTF???

I woke up this morning expecting a couple of pages of new posts.

Nada!

This is my favorite thread with some of my favorite posters posting about an exciting new toy (HTP-1).

Keep 'em coming please!

Is this the first thread you check everyday too?
Magnus_CA and ScottieBoysName like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
Is this the first thread you check everyday too?

Ditto!
post #725 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
These are back in stock for anybody with an itchy trigger finger
post #726 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered one. Been waiting for it to come back in stock.
post #727 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Now that we have some issues reproduced by multiple users I went ahead and added a list of open issues to the first post. Please let me know if I've missed any that multiple users have reported.

- Omitted -

It's really great of you, and other owners as well, to do all this work, and do it in such an organized manner. It is tremendous value-ad to the HTP-1, and other owners and future owners.

Thank you!
post #728 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11788 Post(s)
Liked: 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
When starting a Dirac calibration, load a clean/empty slot, but then save over a used one. Never save over your last clean/empty slot until the issue is resolved.
Sounds like a reasonable workaround for users who are aware of the issue. But what about users who aren’t aware? Is this one of the issues that have been acknowledged by Monoprice?
post #729 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 PM

Does anyone else find it strange that Monoprice won't allow their shipments to be held for pick up at a local Fedex location?
post #730 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I'd really like to see some measurements of the HTP-1. If anyone that is buying would be willing to have Monoprice dropship to the fellow that runs ASR, he would (to my understanding) test it and then re-ship to you, the buyer...an example set of measurements is here.
canavan, Archaea, dwaleke and 1 others like this.
post #731 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
thanks for the heads up! am a little worried about the reported sound drops but I have to assume Monoprice will get it worked out quickly...I hope!
post #732 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicar2 View Post
thanks for the heads up! am a little worried about the reported sound drops but I have to assume Monoprice will get it worked out quickly...I hope!

That is a little concerning. Did I see that if fast startup was turned off this doesn’t occur?

Or was that the solution to another issue?
post #733 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
That is a little concerning. Did I see that if fast startup was turned off this doesn’t occur?

Or was that the solution to another issue?
With fast start ON I get one or more audio dropouts within the first minute or two of starting a movie.

With fast start OFF I do not get audio dropouts.
ScottieBoysName likes this.
post #734 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post
With fast start ON I get one or more audio dropouts within the first minute or two of starting a movie.

That’s what I thought. I wonder if anyone else has tested that toggle.
post #735 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I can live without fast start for the time being... I can't live with audio dropouts!
post #736 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Joking aside, these are typical beta issues we've seen with virtually all of the boutique processors in the last few years, be it Emotiva, Arcam, NAD, ... , and now Monoprice. It will take at least a year or more before these units are ready for prime time. The NAD v3's just recently went final, Arcam never fixed their units, Emotiva is in complete denial (see them compiling a list of devices that are "compatible" with their processors).
I would be OK with all of this if we were talking about a free or paid public beta test but all of these devices cost 4000 bucks or even more without any guaranty that the owner will ever have a bug free unit.

That's the sorry state of affairs.
I waited a year before buying an $8,000 unit (SSP-800) hoping it was well wrung out after a year in the market. Woops, I identified 2 dozen bugs. The upside was that they were willing and able to fix all of them.

Then I too experienced the solid performance and reliability of the Marantz AV7702 and now the Anthem AVM 60. There's no disputing that this is the level of performance we all deserve. But the boutique brands bring other benefits that the "mass market" brands do not, so I place a high premium on a company's after-sale support, particularly bug fixes, if not feature updates. In that regard, Oppo set a pretty high bar, just to name one outside the AV processor space. They are not alone.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 01-14-2020 at 07:50 PM.
post #737 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post
I'd really like to see some measurements of the HTP-1. If anyone that is buying would be willing to have Monoprice dropship to the fellow that runs ASR, he would (to my understanding) test it and then re-ship to you, the buyer...an example set of measurements is here.

Interesting read- thanks!

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Seaton Catalyst 12c (3) and 8c (4) Speakers
post #738 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
Liked: 5485
Quote:
Does anyone else find it strange that Monoprice won't allow their shipments to be held for pick up at a local Fedex location?
FedEx hub, FedEx Office (FedEx Office in Wal-mart), FedEx ShipCenter, or "FedEx in your neighborhood"?

I had quite the experience with a Trinnov Altitude 16, an expensive bottle of Whiskey and Walgreens that luckily turned out ok in the end. I'm glad Monoprice (or FedEx on high-value items) is able to do this.

The convenience (it was a Friday and I was away all day) was not worth 45 minutes of convincing them that a 18x6x6 inch box was not a Trinnov insured for five-figure $. There was a reprinted [by the FedEx system] adhesive label stuck over the label holder (actually with a label inside for the correct recipient) with my information showing large dimensions and a heavy weight (I mean the Trinnov packaging smartasses! ). After claiming they had nothing else fitting my description, they finally conceeded to letting me behind the counter to look. I saw it immediately as it was the largest parcel in their storage area with the Trinnov label on each side (before you go there… Trinnov provides double boxing. Both the outer and inner boxes have the logos.).

This story ended up ok for me but not for whoever had asked for their whiskey to be held. Two weeks later that same box arrived at my doorstep, sans the label that had been in the envelope. I'll never take that risk again. I trust picking up at the hub or FedEx Office, nowhere else. Don't get me started on Fed-ex Office in Wal-mart.
post #739 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
FedEx hub, FedEx Office (FedEx Office in Wal-mart), FedEx ShipCenter, or "FedEx in your neighborhood"?

I had quite the experience with a Trinnov Altitude 16, an expensive bottle of Whiskey and Walgreens that luckily turned out ok in the end. I'm glad Monoprice (or FedEx on high-value items) is able to do this.

The convenience (it was a Friday and I was away all day) was not worth 45 minutes of convincing them that a 18x6x6 inch box was not a Trinnov insured for five-figure $. There was a reprinted [by the FedEx system] adhesive label stuck over the label holder (actually with a label inside for the correct recipient) with my information showing large dimensions and a heavy weight (I mean the Trinnov packaging smartasses! ). After claiming they had nothing else fitting my description, they finally conceeded to letting me behind the counter to look. I saw it immediately as it was the largest parcel in their storage area with the Trinnov label on each side (before you go there… Trinnov provides double boxing. Both the outer and inner boxes have the logos.).

This story ended up ok for me but not for whoever had asked for their whiskey to be held. Two weeks later that same box arrived at my doorstep, sans the label that had been in the envelope. I'll never take that risk again. I trust picking up at the hub or FedEx Office, nowhere else. Don't get me started on Fed-ex Office in Wal-mart.

That sounds like quite the mess. I'm glad you got the most important part worked out, the Trinnov! I want to say I'd do the right thing if the reverse situation happened to me (waiting for a bottle of whiskey and a Trinnov shows up ), but I don't know...

I do have fedex office nearby, but Monoprice won't allow shipments to be held there for pickup. I've called them to confirm it and they said that is the policy and I couldn't work out an exception with them to have it held for pick up at fedex.

Here is a link to the page with their policy on it, eight bullet point down. https://monopricesupport.kayako.com/...-are-available
post #740 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicar2 View Post
I can live without fast start for the time being... I can't live with audio dropouts!
I am unfamiliar with the “fast start” feature. Can someone provide a brief explanation of what it is, and whether turning it off may or may not be desirable?
post #741 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just an update on my thoughts. Last week I was so frustrated with the HTP. GUI issues, ‘almost ready’ booting issues, Gb internet issues etc. I’m happy to report that after today’s fw update, I haven’t seen any of those issues-after powering off from the back of the HTP then back on. Maybe Monoprice should suggest that in the notes? GUI comes up instantly, Dirac finds it instantly, the HTP works great. I have total confidence that Monoprice will keep giving us timely updates, and that puts me at ease. I wholeheartedly think this unit is on a different playing field than the AV40 that I had for 1.5mths. I think there is significant hardware issues with that first batch that will need to be addressed and reworked, mainly the shielding. I’ve never heard so much noise from an AV component. Overall, I think this is a fantastic unit and much less expensive than the competition. Sounds incredible, 98% just works (I never expected it to be perfect with SN -00007). I was solely giving my honest opinion with any criticism or issues I had. I’ve never thought about returning it, the Arcam I knew I had to return just too much stuff going on. I don’t know all the lingo, but I know enough about how something should work. Again, I think with the fw updates, frequency and communication in this forum, Monoprice is completely invested in this being a giant killler. I think it just might be. I honestly haven’t come across a single issue since 1.1.1 the other day. Works as if it’s worthy of the 4K price tag. Now give us Dirac BM
DS-21 and Mashie Saldana like this.
post #742 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson1749 View Post
Just an update on my thoughts. Last week I was so frustrated with the HTP. GUI issues, ‘almost ready’ booting issues, Gb internet issues etc. I’m happy to report that after today’s fw update, I haven’t seen any of those issues-after powering off from the back of the HTP then back on. Maybe Monoprice should suggest that in the notes? GUI comes up instantly, Dirac finds it instantly, the HTP works great. I have total confidence that Monoprice will keep giving us timely updates, and that puts me at ease. I wholeheartedly think this unit is on a different playing field than the AV40 that I had for 1.5mths. I think there is significant hardware issues with that first batch that will need to be addressed and reworked, mainly the shielding. I’ve never heard so much noise from an AV component. Overall, I think this is a fantastic unit and much less expensive than the competition. Sounds incredible, 98% just works (I never expected it to be perfect with SN -00007). I was solely giving my honest opinion with any criticism or issues I had. I’ve never thought about returning it, the Arcam I knew I had to return just too much stuff going on. I don’t know all the lingo, but I know enough about how something should work. Again, I think with the fw updates, frequency and communication in this forum, Monoprice is completely invested in this being a giant killler. I think it just might be. I honestly haven’t come across a single issue since 1.1.1 the other day. Works as if it’s worthy of the 4K price tag. Now give us Dirac BM

Thanks for that update. I was curious how the first round of owners was feeling at this point. Good to know everything is generally headed in a good direction. I haven't heard anything that sounds insurmountable yet.
post #743 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This time the "in stock" notification worked...well maybe too much, it is the sixth email I receive telling me the HTP-1 is back in stock today
ScottieBoysName likes this.
post #744 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
...Monoprice won't allow shipments to be held there for pickup.

Here is a link to the page with their policy on it, eight bullet point down. https://monopricesupport.kayako.com/...-are-available

"All shipments must be delivered to the shipping address entered on the order."

How about ship it to the Fedex office

your name c/o Fedex
address

Noah
post #745 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am unfamiliar with the “fast start” feature. Can someone provide a brief explanation of what it is, and whether turning it off may or may not be desirable?
I answered my own question by RTFM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fast Start.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2670204  
post #746 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
You are having audio dropouts? I also am having audio dropouts when playing a blu-ray or 4k blu-ray. This seems to only happen when Fast Start is ON. The dropouts will only occur during the first minute or two and then it seems to stabilize.

The dropouts don’t happen when Fast Start is set to OFF.
Yes, I would call them audio dropouts, but for me, they only happen in the very specific scenario that I mentioned, when there is complete silence in the source content and then it takes a second to come back. It sounds like this might be different from what you are experiencing.

I did test Fast Start ON vs Fast Start OFF, and this didn't seem to have an effect on my specific issue. But my workaround of setting PCM Detect Sensitivity to Biased seems to work consistently, except when I believe it caused static noise to play from a BD source one time. I have currently been testing the PCM Detect Sensitivity = Indicated setting and this also works around my audio dropouts and I have not encountered any static noise with this setting yet.

Does the PCM Detect Sensitivity have any effect on your audio dropouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Count me as another who experienced this as well. Noticed it last night while watching a movie streamed from ATV4K. Only in a few spots where like you said it was quiet then the dialogue started but the first few words/seconds were cut off.
Thanks for confirming. If this bothers you a lot, maybe try the workaround I mentioned above, and set PCM Detect Sensitivity = Indicated (but change it back to Auto if you encounter any static noise).
ronin22 likes this.

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers & Horizon w/ Mapleshade 4" Maple Platforms & Brass Heavyfeet ・ Ascend Sierra Luna satellitesRythmik FV18 aluminum cone subwoofer x2 ・ JBL GX-1200 subwoofer x5 direct mounted to seats
Components: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 w/ Dirac Live ・ Anthem Statement P5 ・ JVC DLA-RS540 ・ Stewart Cima FF 123 inch w/ Studiotek ST130 G4
post #747 of 1057 Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
Quote:
While playing content on any source (PC, PS4, BD), if the content goes fully silent, the HTP-1 loses signal (you can actually see the Program Format briefly change to "none"), and then takes a second to come back when the content has sound again.

When the inputs are set to Biased, I never get this issue on my Windows PC source while playing MKV blu ray rips or foobar2000 FLAC files over WASAPI.
Does it make any difference if the BD player is outputting a bitstream vs PCM?

When you say the content goes fully silent, do you mean very quiet like sometimes happens in a movie for dramatic effect, or dead silent as between programs? If the former, there is something very strange going on. If the latter, it appears to be related with bitstream format detection as you are already investigating.

Does your Windows PC perchance have any ability to play the same BD discs that exhibit the problems in the BD player, via HDMI output to the HTP-1? If so, do they play as well as the MKVs?

Just grasping at straws, as it were.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #748 of 1057 Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What amps are people using?

I have seen monoprice has a 3 *200w and 8*100w amp all in one
Anyone using this?
I have a 5 channel Emotiva amp and and trying to figure out what to do
post #749 of 1057 Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard68 View Post
What amps are people using?

I have seen monoprice has a 3 *200w and 8*100w amp all in one

Anyone using this?

I have a 5 channel Emotiva amp and and trying to figure out what to do
I'm planning on this same pairing. Not many pro reviews of the Monolith amps but those that are out there are very favorable. 11 channels in 4u's of space is great if size is of concern. Not sure you can get 11 channels in 4u's from any class D offering and it will for sure cost double of what you'll pay for the 11x.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Magnus_CA; 01-15-2020 at 12:51 AM.
post #750 of 1057 Old 01-15-2020, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
Liked: 5485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
INot sure you can get 11 channels in 4u's from any class D offering and it will for sure cost double of what you'll pay for the 11x.
I have 12 ch in 4RU (a 7ch and a 5ch, 2RU each) from D-Sonic.com. Not cheap but quite a bargain for the power & performance.

http://d-sonic.net/wp-content/upload...M3a-series.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page