The "Official" Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3313Likes

post #1981 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
My apologies. I meant to say it is not really important whether you use 3 V or 4 V Amp Sensitivity.

If I had an HTP-1, I would set the volume control to 0 dB and raise the sensitivity until you register 75 dB on an SPL meter when playing a reference test signal (-30 dBFS noise).

This might not currently be possible if one uses amplifiers that actually have 4 V sensitivity (balanced), or single ended amps with 2 V sensitivity, as there's not enough gain in the system to get there based on a sample of one posted here earlier. I suspect that with Dirac turned off it might work, because it appears Dirac scales down the overall audio level to protect headroom, and that scaling is for some reason not being compensated in the analog stages (which is what happens in other AVPs). Does playback volume change noticeably when Dirac is turned on/off?
yes the playback volume changes drastically on mine
you have to be careful when i was switching tabs on the monolith it went from a dirac calibration, to zero dirac and it got loud fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gprime100 View Post
yes the playback volume changes drastically on mine
you have to be careful when i was switching tabs on the monolith it went from a dirac calibration, to zero dirac and it got loud fast
Maybe they would consider fixing that if you notified them about it. It's a firmware thing.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #1983 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe they would consider fixing that if you notified them about it. It's a firmware thing.
i think it was more of my operator error, i have too much going on my devices so it's a little delayed and i get click happy
but i think early on a few other people did a similar thing by accident, it shouldn't happen on a regular, once you get it dialed in you really shouldn't have to visit that tab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
i think it was more of my operator error, i have too much going on my devices so it's a little delayed and i get click happy
but i think early on a few other people did a similar thing by accident, it shouldn't happen on a regular, once you get it dialed in you really shouldn't have to visit that tab
I was only referring to the drastic level difference between Dirac on and off.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #1985 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Anyone with a Harmony Elite controlling this thing via IP or is it strictly IR?
post #1986 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Anyone with a Harmony Elite controlling this thing via IP or is it strictly IR?

Not yet, but I just picked up an extra hub so that I can try it. I was looking at the settings to switch over to IP last night, but I haven't done it yet.
post #1987 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
Do other HTP-1 owners feel the same way?
Please! I'd probably set mine at -10, but the -30 "max" limit right now is very frustrating, especially given the very slow rate of volume increases. It's too low every single time we turn it on, and it takes "forever" to get it to a usable range.

A checkbox option to "Keep Last Volume" would be nice, as some others have suggested, but I'd love to turn it on and just know it's at -10 (or whatever).

FWIW, I have my remote (Harmony Elite) set to also reset all the Upmix, Night Mode, Loudness, etc on Power On as well. It'd be nice if I could just set defaults on the HTP-1 instead, and start with a "known good" set of baseline settings by just powering it on.

Thanks!

Sony VPL-VW5000ES Laser Projector | Monolith HTP-1 9.1.6 Processor | Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 Signature Subwoofer | Genelec speakers (HT210B, AIW25, AIC25) | Stewart Cinecurve 2.40 w/StudioTek 130 G3 screen
post #1988 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Well, after playing with the HTP-1 for 24 hours. My quick take is after playing with voltage and Dirac is this thing sounds great. Coming from the Yamaha 5100 to Anthem AVM60 and now to this. My speakers sound great again. Right now I have settled on the RoomFeel EQ. I think it has a nice sound.

The Yamaha 5100(not sure if the 5200 sounds the same) is in my opinion the one of the better sound PreAmps for the money. YPAO needs to be improved but otherwise the Yammy sound wise is equal to this before EQ.

The Anthem while it does have a really nice sound is not as detailed as either the Yamaha or HTP1. I would love to see them put a better DAC in the next Anthem. I really believe the problem is the DAC, since the Marantz 7703 I have, has a similar issue, with my speakers, in my set up.

The HTP-1 combines great hardware with a Great EQ system. Its only flaw that I can see so far is its a little less stable than the other units. Which all seem to work and are bulletproof. But for a month old Preamp with a good amount of updates it is great. I am really happy with it.

Personally my only issues with it are.

1) The learning curve for DIRAC(that is on me, not the unit).

2) No OSD of volume. Again this is just my pet peeve.

3) The voltage set up is nice, but out of the box the system(after DIRAC) volume is low. A non technical user not reading these threads would not know to up voltage, but then I am not sure this product is for that user. Even after raising the voltage it still seems quieter then the other units. I know the displayed numbers differ from brand too brand but the others are closer at the similar displayed level. Again it just a matter of getting used to it.

4) The Yamaha and Marantz have been dead quiet. I never heard any sorts of sounds coming from my speakers. For instance when I use the ShieldTV, I get a slight static noise in my speakers. On the AppleTV, with sound effects turned on I get the same thing when moving around the UI.

5) The one issue I have had with it is, at first changing the Filter for Dirac was giving me random static, out of random speakers. A full reboot has fixed this for now. This sounds like the unit is broken and is what I mean when I say the other 3 seem to be more stable mature systems.

Time to go enjoy it.
jgirado and wilbur_the_goose like this.

1) JVC RS540, Monolith HTP-1, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1.1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
3) Sony XBR55F900, Yamaha CXA5100 & MX5000, GoldenEar SuperSat 3 System

Last edited by Carbo; 03-02-2020 at 05:12 PM.
post #1989 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
Do other HTP-1 owners feel the same way?
Yes, I also agree. That would be nice, especially a option for the "last used level"
jgirado likes this.

1) JVC RS540, Monolith HTP-1, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1.1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #1990 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post

3) The voltage set up is nice, but out of the box the system(after DIRAC) volume is low. A non technical user not reading these threads would not know to up voltage, but then I am not sure this product is for that user. Even after raising the voltage it still seems quieter then the other units. I know the displayed numbers differ from brand too brand but the others are closer at the similar displayed level. Again it just a matter of getting used to it.

4) The Yamaha and Marantz have been dead quiet. I never heard any sorts of sounds coming from my speakers. For instance when I use the ShieldTV, I get a slight static noise in my speakers. On the AppleTV, with sound effects turned on I get the same thing when moving around the UI.

5) The one issue I have had with it is, at first changing the Filter for Dirac was giving me random static, out of random speakers. A full reboot has fixed this for now. This sounds like the unit is broken and is what I mean when I say the other 3 seem to be more stable mature systems.

Time to go enjoy it.
Newby (got it last week) here, especially with Dirac (coming from Audyssey, YPAO, ARC, MCACC, and AccuEQ). 1), 3), 4) & 5) apply to me too! Thanks for writing it up so nicely. (5) It happened to me yesterday. I'll check today again.

(2) I'm OK with no OSD, I like the fact that I can get much info with the tablet. *BUT* the slowness of the volume (and some time other unresponsive buttons) is sometimes a little annoying. Fortunately, eARC works wonders and I can control the volume without issues using my FireTV stick. I fully adhere to @pink soda and @readthis13 volume implementation proposal!

Also, please bring the test tones! :-)

Last edited by jgirado; 03-02-2020 at 05:50 PM.
post #1991 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Well, after playing with the HTP-1 for 24 hours. My quick take is after playing with voltage and Dirac is this thing sounds great. Coming from the Yamaha 5100 to Anthem AVM60 and now to this. My speakers sound great again. Right now I have settled on the RoomFeel EQ. I think it has a nice sound.

The Yamaha 5100(not sure if the 5200 sounds the same) is in my opinion the one of the better sound PreAmps for the money. YPAO needs to be improved but otherwise the Yammy sound wise is equal to this before EQ.

The Anthem while it does have a really nice sound is not as detailed as either the Yamaha or HTP1. I would love to see them put a better DAC in the next Anthem. I really believe the problem is the DAC, since the Marantz 7703 I have, has a similar issue, with my speakers, in my set up.

The HTP-1 combines great hardware with a Great EQ system. Its only flaw that I can see so far is its a little less stable than the other units. Which all seem to work and are bulletproof. But for a month old Preamp with a good amount of updates it is great. I am really happy with it.

2) No OSD of volume. Again this is just my pet peeve.

Time to go enjoy it.
1)thats good to her i just loaded the roomfeel eq and it only semed to make a difference when i went to large fronts, it made them sound like how my towers should sound. are you running yours as smalls?

i'm still learning and playing with Dirac too, i think my next move is to lower my sub input (inuke front dial) rerun Dirac and see what it comes up try to get the levels balanced before running. i'm aso debating on going to a different amp that has XLR inputs for the uppers due to the voltage struggles i've had.what amps are you running?

2) does your tv have eARC? i can see the volume on my tv, it will vary though on my samsung depending on what i have my max and min setup as can be a little confusing lol
3)if it seems quiet have you tried flipping between large and small i noticed this makes massive changes for me
post #1992 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 189
BTW (correct me if I'm wrong) but if you're planning on playing Atmos content, all your speakers (that are capable of getting down to 40hz/50hz) should be set to Large. Especially if you feel like your bass is lacking.

Setting most of the speakers to small is an idea left over from the days of 5.1/7.1 soundtracks rather than the full range, object based Atmos tracks. Especially with Dirac (which should be able to resolve any cancellations/nulls and what not).
post #1993 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
BTW (correct me if I'm wrong) but if you're planning on playing Atmos content, all your speakers (that are capable of getting down to 40hz/50hz) should be set to Large. Especially if you feel like your bass is lacking.

Setting most of the speakers to small is an idea left over from the days of 5.1/7.1 soundtracks rather than the full range, object based Atmos tracks. Especially with Dirac (which should be able to resolve any cancellations/nulls and what not).
Sorry, you're 100% wrong. :-) All channels have been full bandwidth since DD/DTS...which is kind of the entire point of having bass redirection.
audioguy, stef2, philipbtz and 3 others like this.
post #1994 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconi View Post

I don't see how having more surrounds has any relevance to the use of bass management.
sdurani and captainbrent like this.

Noah
post #1995 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 54
[QUOTE=Roger Dressler;59321658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
Does playback volume change noticeably when Dirac is turned on/off?
Yes, it does this for me as well. It makes it a bit hard to compare on and off fairly. (Even if the EQ is dramatically different)
post #1996 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1)thats good to her i just loaded the roomfeel eq and it only semed to make a difference when i went to large fronts, it made them sound like how my towers should sound. are you running yours as smalls?

i'm still learning and playing with Dirac too, i think my next move is to lower my sub input (inuke front dial) rerun Dirac and see what it comes up try to get the levels balanced before running. i'm aso debating on going to a different amp that has XLR inputs for the uppers due to the voltage struggles i've had.what amps are you running?

2) does your tv have eARC? i can see the volume on my tv, it will vary though on my samsung depending on what i have my max and min setup as can be a little confusing lol
3)if it seems quiet have you tried flipping between large and small i noticed this makes massive changes for me
I am running my speakers as small but my crossover is at 60.

Both my amps use balanced and I set the voltage to 4. Seem to have fixed my volume issue.

I have a JVC 540. So I don't believe any earc volume would work.

post #1997 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthis13 View Post
Download the text file to your computer, then choose to use a custom curve in Dirac when you’️re setting your curves on the last step. Just apply the curve to all speakers.
wicked i did it manually and the text way, the text way was much easier lol thank you, they both looked very simular

do you leave the curtains the way the text file has it or do i adjust it to where my speakers measured?
I left all curtains as default. Your crossovers in amp settings should cover everything anyhow, and there's typically no reason to set curtains / EQ above 500hz anyway.

Custom built, dedicated theater - Pro calibrated JVC NX-9 w/ DCR Lens | 156" 2.35:1 Seymour XD | Lumagen Radiance Pro | Lexicon MC-10 | 2X Legacy Audio Focus SE's | Legacy Audio Marquis XD | 4X Legacy Audio Silhouette (sides and rears) | 4X Revel C763's (Atmos) | Monolith 7X & 5X | 2X SVS PC-13 Ultra's
post #1998 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbochniak View Post
Yes, it does this for me as well. It makes it a bit hard to compare on and off fairly. (Even if the EQ is dramatically different)
Thanks for confirming. Could you approximate how many dB you'd have to shift the volume control to get the same loudness?

post #1999 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. Could you approximate how many dB you'd have to shift the volume control to get the same loudness?
i just did the tests for you, at 3.5vrms, direct playing the pink noise file and sine wave at 0db on the htp, using the REW spl meter, i measured the FL channel because that was the file i downloaded from this thread

the pink noise with dirac 74.3db sine 66db
the pink noise without dirac 84.3db sine 76db

Last edited by Gprime100; 03-02-2020 at 09:46 PM.
post #2000 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12488 Post(s)
Liked: 7459
Quote:
i just did the tests for you, at 3.5vrms, direct playing the pink noise file and sine wave at 0db on the htp, using the REW spl meter

What channel did you measure?
post #2001 of 3674 Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What channel did you measure?
sorry editted i used the FL file that was from this thread earlier on
post #2002 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
i just did the tests for you, at 3.5vrms, direct playing the pink noise file and sine wave at 0db on the htp, using the REW spl meter, i measured the FL channel because that was the file i downloaded from this thread

Thanks very much.

I know that people probably don't switch Dirac on and off on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean the difference couldn't be reduced substantially, if not totally.

That depends on whether there's any consistency to this 10 dB difference among all users, or is it based on some particular aspect of the EQ curves needed for your case. If it's consistent, it makes it easier to compensate in a future hypothetical firmware update as a simple gain shift.
Carbo and JDEATON like this.

post #2003 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much.

I know that people probably don't switch Dirac on and off on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean the difference couldn't be reduced substantially, if not totally.

That depends on whether there's any consistency to this 10 dB difference among all users, or is it based on some particular aspect of the EQ curves needed for your case. If it's consistent, it makes it easier to compensate in a future hypothetical firmware update as a simple gain shift.
i'm not sure if it is firmware, i just spent the last 5 hours messing with mine and when i put my fronts to large and turn off my sub the volume jumps again drastically almost like dirac is off but it's not i need to turn it down to -25vol. and when i put the sub back on it goes quiet have to go to -5 ish to get decent sound.
my trims were -14 sub, about -9 for 7 main speakers, and -1 for my tops

i then reran dirac but turned the input dial on the inuke for the sub and it made trim levels that main speakers were -25, sub was 0, tops were -17
i then decided to try a 2 channel amp with xlr on the tops instead of my xlr-rca rotel amp this bumped the trim level up 6 db on the one set of tops
i bumped up the inuke some more, managed to get trims -11 mains, -2.4 sub, 0 on the tops with rca and -8 tops with xlr

my next step was to try only one set of tops so everything is on xlr
trim mains were -16, sub was 0 , and tops were -13
the last measurement i took after bumping the inuke up more

-5 for the mains -8 for sub and -1 for the tops,

i also reduced the voltage from 3.5 to 2.5, but lowering the trims to get them much closer made big difference on volume -30 is decently loud now

i haven't tried playing music and playing with the speaker sizes and lay out with this yet. it looks like i may need to get a different amp and run all xlr connections
post #2004 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 5729 Post(s)
Liked: 4843
I am helping someone do an upgrade of their existing audio system in what is currently their home theater. I am very familiar with Dirac (from my Datasat days and use in my music server).

So without reading the 67 pages of posts, is this product "ready for prime time"? The person into whose home it will go knows less than ZERO about any of this stuff and MUST HAVE a system that "just works" --- and works all of the time.

Thanks.
post #2005 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 6441 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
a system that "just works" --- and works all of the time.
Haha. You're a funny guy.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #2006 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Haha. You're a funny guy.

But "humor" aside, do you have any experience with this product so that you can speak to it's reliability, or stability?
post #2007 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
But "humor" aside, do you have any experience with this product so that you can speak to it's reliability, or stability?
No but I did read the 67 pages of posts.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #2008 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
No but I did read the 67 pages of posts.

Well that is quite helpful.
post #2009 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Well that is quite helpful.
Reading? Yes, it is.

Markus

post #2010 of 3674 Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

I find it to work very well. Sounds great with Dirac and handles video switching very quickly.

CEC works. eARC works.

I love the LCD screen and the browser control.

For me, it was a great purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audioworker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page