The "Official" Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 Owners Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3313Likes

post #2161 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
A differential amplifier is what removes the common mode noise that has accumulated in the balanced cable system.

Interesting, so unless one has a noise issue, the best one can hope for audiowise is no degradation in SQ from the additional circuitry.

Admittedly the superior mechanical connection is worthwhile.
jima4a likes this.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Thanks! My primary motivation is that when plugging my Anthem to the Monolith power amp, I get a little bit of noise using the RCA cables. I was thinking that if I get a processor with XLR output and an amp with XLR inputs then I might have a way around the noise issues. But if the HTP and 7x200 are not differential and do not give the noise cancellation benefits then I am wondering what is the real world benefit of a processor like HTP-1 over my Anthem MRX720 (yes Dirac vs ArC might be a benefit... but sounds from my Anthem is pretty good as of now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem, or the reason you aren't getting that benefit, as I understand it in the scenario you described isn't with the HTP-1, it is with the amplifier. Since the Monolith 7 doesn't have balanced inputs, you won't get the benefit of the common mode rejection that having balanced signal would give you. The HTP-1 has a balanced output, but the question is what is on the other end. You need a balanced output from the processor, balanced line, and a balanced input to the amplifier to complete the circuit.

The Monolith 7X (as opposed to the '7') does list balanced inputs, as does Outlaw 7000x. Those two amplifiers don't have balanced outputs (getting that takes you up another level in price , but since they do have balanced inputs you do get the gain of the balanced signal path and the noise rejection that should bring.
post #2163 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
The HTP-1 has a balanced output. The Monolith 7 has a differential amplifier at each of its XLR balanced inputs, based on an IC from THAT Corporation. A differential amplifier is what removes the common mode noise that has accumulated in the balanced cable system. The connection from the HTP-1 to Monolith 7 is thus balanced.

The Outlaw Model 7220 likely uses THAT chips as well at XLR inputs since ATI appears to have designed both amplifiers.

After the input of the Model 7220, the 7220 lacks another differential amplifier, so any noise introduced in the 7220 circuitry after the input, due to whatever its design, won't be removed by a differential amplifier. If balanced circuitry isn't ultimately terminated in a differential amplifier many (most, all?) of the advantages are lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I agree on this point but what data are you looking at the shows the Monolith amplifier is fully differential and the Outlaw 7220 is not ? Here is Audioholics' initial review of the Outlaw amp:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...ws/outlaw-7220

Please explain what part of the 1st post above states that the Monolith is fully differential. A read of the post finds the word "inputs." Differential and balanced are two different concepts. A differential amplifier is associated with balanced circuitry. A balanced circuit has equal impedance for each of the two signal lines to ground. All of the signal in a balanced circuit could be on one of the lines. Differential signaling is not required for a circuit to be balanced. Please do some reading on this subject if that isn't clear to you.

Why do you, not a link to someone else's opinion, believe that "fully differential," is so important?

Here is a link to the type of THAT Corporation differential amplifier that Monolith likely uses although the exact model isn't clear. As the 1st post states, this differential amplifier is used at the XLR input of each Monolith channel.

http://www.thatcorp.com/1240-series_...iver_ICs.shtml

The 1st post above is discussing balanced circuits. Differential amplifiers, such as the THAT unit, are in integral part of such circuits if common mode noise is to be removed. A differential amplifier exists to remove the common mode noise that has entered the balanced circuit since the start of the circuitry or since the previous differential amplifier. Note that the THAT product lists a specification for common mode rejection ratio. This indicates how well the THAT product removes common mode noise.

An example: In the HTP-1 there appears to be a differential amplifier, an opamp and associated passive components, at the output of the AKM AK4493 DAC IC. This differential amplifier removes common mode noise (some of it, differential amplifiers, like the rest of the world, aren't perfect) from the output of the DAC IC. The input to this differential amplifier is the (+) and (-) outputs of one channel of the 4493. The amplifier also acts as an analog filter. The output of this differential amplifier is a single-ended signal in the HTP-1.

Another example: The Emotiva RMC-1 appears (can't be sure) to have two differential amplifiers at the output of the AKM AK4490 DAC IC. These amplifiers are connected in opposite polarities, one produces a (+) output and one a (-) output, so that a balanced (which also happens to be differential) signal is produced. The volume IC uses two channels for these signals, after the signals leave the volume control there is an output buffer for each signal.
samorf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
The problem, or the reason you aren't getting that benefit, as I understand it in the scenario you described isn't with the HTP-1, it is with the amplifier. Since the Monolith 7 doesn't have balanced inputs, you won't get the benefit of the common mode rejection that having balanced signal would give you. The HTP-1 has a balanced output, but the question is what is on the other end. You need a balanced output from the processor, balanced line, and a balanced input to the amplifier to complete the circuit.

The Monolith 7X (as opposed to the '7') does list balanced inputs, as does Outlaw 7000x. Those two amplifiers don't have balanced outputs (getting that takes you up another level in price , but since they do have balanced inputs you do get the gain of the balanced signal path and the noise rejection that should bring.

Thanks! I realize that I should have been more precise in stating my amp. I indeed have the monolith 7x with XLR inputs. Does it mean that with HTP-1 I will get balanced inputs hence the benefits of common mode noise rejection?

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 684S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Arcam AV40 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Outlaw 7000x | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #2165 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
When you mute the Anthem, does the noise go away or stay? Or, of you connect a speaker to the humming channel's amp output, does it hum?

When I connect the speaker directly to the Speaker out from my Anthem then there is no noise at all. The noise comes only when I connect the RCA out from Anthem Back channel to Monolith and then to the speaker. Now attaching the Front from Anthem RCA to the Monolith on the same amp channel and speakers doesn’t cause any noise - hence I am concluding that the RCA out in my Anthem is probably picking up some noise?

And I am hoping that if I get the HTP-1 given that it is balanced and my Monolith 7X is also balanced I will get benefits of noise elimination. That was my hypothesis - but now I am not sure if my Monolith 7X is balanced and if that would yield in noise elimination.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 684S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Arcam AV40 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Outlaw 7000x | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #2166 of 3677 Old 03-08-2020, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Quote:
I realize that I should have been more precise in stating my amp. I indeed have the monolith 7x with XLR inputs. Does it mean that with HTP-1 I will get balanced inputs hence the benefits of common mode noise rejection?
Yes. You're good to go.

Quote:
When I connect the speaker directly to the Speaker out from my Anthem then there is no noise at all.
Good!

Quote:
The noise comes only when I connect the RCA out from Anthem Back channel to Monolith and then to the speaker. Now attaching the Front from Anthem RCA to the Monolith on the same amp channel and speakers doesn’t cause any noise - hence I am concluding that the RCA out in my Anthem is probably picking up some noise?
That's perplexing. So all you do is disconnect the RCA output on the Anthem's back channel and move it to a front channel and the noise stops? And if you put the cable you just removed from the front into the Anthem's back output, the hum now comes out the front speaker? Or not?

Quote:
And I am hoping that if I get the HTP-1 given that it is balanced and my Monolith 7X is also balanced I will get benefits of noise elimination. That was my hypothesis - but now I am not sure if my Monolith 7X is balanced and if that would yield in noise elimination.
Your amp has balanced inputs. But it just seems strange that you have at least two RCA cables connecting to at least two channels of the same 7X amp, but only one makes hum noise. Are these cables near each other, or do they take very different routes?

If it is induced him or ground problem, one would expect it in both channels, all else being equal.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #2167 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
for anyone who want an easier way to manage the PEQ in the HTP-1, the latest beta build of beqdesigner includes a feature which can do this & can update 1 or more (or all) channels with one click

downloads on github at https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesig.../0.9.3-beta.12

Installation instructions can be found at https://beqdesigner.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install/ and some docs explaining how to use it at https://beqdesigner.readthedocs.io/e...i/manage_htp1/

if you're a BEQ user already then the UI may already be familiar otherwise refer to the other pages in the docs for how to edit filters

this gets more useful if/when the HTP-1 supports shelf filters and hence can be used for BEQ purposes directly

usual disclaimer applies to 3rd party software of course & it's also a beta build so expect glitches I don't own this device myself either (partly because I'm in the UK, it's not available here).

If anyone does use it and hits problems then feel free to log them via https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/issues and I'll take a look (or if there are things around how it works that don't make much sense then also happy to take suggestions).

for anyone looking for any details of the ws api then you can see the relevant bits of code in https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesig...l/sync.py#L127 (for handling messages coming from the device) and https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesig...l/sync.py#L436 (for sending filters to the device). It's a fairly simple exchange of json over a websocket so pretty easy to integrate into your own control system.

a pic to illustrate

Thanks for this!! Can't wait to give it a try.
post #2168 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. You're good to go.

Good!

That's perplexing. So all you do is disconnect the RCA output on the Anthem's back channel and move it to a front channel and the noise stops? And if you put the cable you just removed from the front into the Anthem's back output, the hum now comes out the front speaker? Or not?
Yes exactly right. If i move the RCA cable that comes from Anthem's front channel into the RCA input from Monolith 7x that is connected to my Back speaker, then there is no noise from the back channel.

Connecting the RCA cable that was connected to Anthem's back channel to the RCA input in Monolith 7X that is connected to the Front channel, causes the hum to come from the front channel, now.

So the four + one scenarios are:
  • Anthem Back RCA --> Monolith 7X Back RCA --> Back Speaker = Noise from Back speaker only
  • Anthem Back RCA --> Monolith 7X Front RCA --> Front Speaker = Noise from Front speaker only
  • Anthem Front RCA --> Monolith 7X Front RCA --> Front speaker = No Noise from Front speaker
  • Anthem Front RCA --> Monolith 7X Back RCA --> Back speaker = No noise from Back speaker
  • And finally, Anthem Back Amp (speaker out) --> Back speaker = No noise from Back speaker

So I am guessing there is nothing wrong with the Monolith or my Blue Jean RCA cable, but something with the Anthem back RCA outs. They seem to be picking up noise from somewhere.

Quote:
Your amp has balanced inputs. But it just seems strange that you have at least two RCA cables connecting to at least two channels of the same 7X amp, but only one makes hum noise. Are these cables near each other, or do they take very different routes?

If it is induced him or ground problem, one would expect it in both channels, all else being equal.
BTW this happens even when the Anthem is turned off / in standby mode.

All the RCA cables are routed the same way, so it sure is perplexing why only those two channels are noisy and others are not.

Also I connected the Ground between the Anthem, my BasX amp (for Heights) and the Monolith 7X. So hopefully ground loop issues are not there.

P.S.: I realize that this is off topic for this thread - but I am trying to figure out if I move from Anthem to HTP-1, will such issues persist or will i have a clean sound from all my channels. If I get HTP-1, I will also get away from my Emotiva BasX and go with another Monolith 7x, to get differential inputs all the way.

post #2169 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
HTP-1 Audio Outputs AKM AK4493 16-channels balanced XLR line outputs

XMC-2 Audio Outputs AKM4490 Verita DACs (operating in fully balanced Mono mode for the three front main channels)

RMC-1 RMC-1L Audio Outputs AKM4490 Verita DACs, operating in fully balanced Mono mode, on all 16 Main Zone outputs. (Independent AKM4490 DAC for Zone 2.)
jsgrise likes this.
post #2170 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Yes exactly right. If i move the RCA cable that comes from Anthem's front channel into the RCA input from Monolith 7x that is connected to my Back speaker, then there is no noise from the back channel.

Connecting the RCA cable that was connected to Anthem's back channel to the RCA input in Monolith 7X that is connected to the Front channel, causes the hum to come from the front channel, now.

• Anthem Back RCA --> Monolith 7X Back RCA --> Back Speaker = Noise from Back speaker only
  • Anthem Back RCA --> Monolith 7X Front RCA --> Front Speaker = Noise from Front speaker only
  • Anthem Front RCA --> Monolith 7X Front RCA --> Front speaker = No Noise from Front speaker
  • Anthem Front RCA --> Monolith 7X Back RCA --> Back speaker = No noise from Back speaker
  • And finally, Anthem Back Amp (speaker out) --> Back speaker = No noise from Back speaker

So I am guessing there is nothing wrong with the Monolith or my Blue Jean RCA cable, but something with the Anthem back RCA outs. They seem to be picking up noise from somewhere.

All the RCA cables are routed the same way, so it sure is perplexing why only those two channels are noisy and others are not.

Also I connected the Ground between the Anthem, my BasX amp (for Heights) and the Monolith 7X. So hopefully ground loop issues are not there.

P.S.: I realize that this is off topic for this thread - but I am trying to figure out if I move from Anthem to HTP-1, will such issues persist or will i have a clean sound from all my channels. If I get HTP-1, I will also get away from my Emotiva BasX and go with another Monolith 7x, to get differential inputs all the way.

If you try running the Anthem back channel to the BasX do you still get the noise?

1) JVC RS540, Monolith HTP-1, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1.1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
3) Sony XBR55F900, Yamaha CXA5100 & MX5000, GoldenEar SuperSat 3 System
post #2171 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I suspect that the hum is not altered when you hit Mute on the Anthem (powered on of course)?

Quote:
I'd hate to claim that replacing the Anthem with the HTP-1 will kill the hum only to find out it doesn't. It very well might, but my confidence is not as high as I'd like.

I guess the Anthem's surround outputs might have a higher impedance than the fronts, but I don't know why that would be. This is why I hate buying products from companies who refuse to sell the service manuals (schematics). Really helps diagnose issues. Marantz sold me a very detailed manual on their AV7702, easy as pie, and that let me see why the 12 V trigger failed: It has zero short-circuit protection. Duh. Could also see why it was rather noisy (hiss) at the line outputs: the HDAM output preamps have 20 dB gain.

What's sitting near the Anthem -- is it in a rack? Can anything nearby be turned off or have their power cords disconnected at the wall end? Just to see if anything in the environment is inducing hum into the Anthem. Since the amp output is hum free, it's not present in the entire signal path of the Anthem. Gotta be coming from something else.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #2172 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The 1st post above is discussing balanced circuits. Differential amplifiers, such as the THAT unit, are in integral part of such circuits if common mode noise is to be removed. A differential amplifier exists to remove the common mode noise that has entered the balanced circuit since the start of the circuitry or since the previous differential amplifier. Note that the THAT product lists a specification for common mode rejection ratio. This indicates how well the THAT product removes common mode noise.

An example: In the HTP-1 there appears to be a differential amplifier, an opamp and associated passive components, at the output of the AKM AK4493 DAC IC. This differential amplifier removes common mode noise (some of it, differential amplifiers, like the rest of the world, aren't perfect) from the output of the DAC IC. The input to this differential amplifier is the (+) and (-) outputs of one channel of the 4493. The amplifier also acts as an analog filter. The output of this differential amplifier is a single-ended signal in the HTP-1.

Another example: The Emotiva RMC-1 appears (can't be sure) to have two differential amplifiers at the output of the AKM AK4490 DAC IC. These amplifiers are connected in opposite polarities, one produces a (+) output and one a (-) output, so that a balanced (which also happens to be differential) signal is produced. The volume IC uses two channels for these signals, after the signals leave the volume control there is an output buffer for each signal.
Riding on your knowledge train here. Do you know how I can determine if my Yamaha aventage mx-a5000 amplifier has differential balanced XLR inputs? I'm running a Nad t777 v3 and using pre outs to the amp on RCA I get a very slight but irritating hum on all my speakers. That's all 11 of them. I can't hear it in the day with the background noise but close to midnight when it's quiet out, I can hear it seated 6 ft away from the center channel. Tried playing with plugging both the amp and receiver into the same wall socket, same power distributor, fancy audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, the hum is still there. Really don't want to try a cheater plug for safety's sake since I'm in a rental apt. Any advice if common mode noise rejection with the htp-1 balanced xlr output is my magic pill? Thank you in advance.
post #2173 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewynuts View Post
Riding on your knowledge train here. Do you know how I can determine if my Yamaha aventage mx-a5000 amplifier has differential balanced XLR inputs? I'm running a Nad t777 v3 and using pre outs to the amp on RCA I get a very slight but irritating hum on all my speakers. That's all 11 of them. I can't hear it in the day with the background noise but close to midnight when it's quiet out, I can hear it seated 6 ft away from the center channel. Tried playing with plugging both the amp and receiver into the same wall socket, same power distributor, fancy audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, the hum is still there. Really don't want to try a cheater plug for safety's sake since I'm in a rental apt. Any advice if common mode noise rejection with the htp-1 balanced xlr output is my magic pill? Thank you in advance.

The MX-A5000 does have balanced inputs. It also uses a nice, three opamp circuit for the balanced inputs, which should provide good noise results. There are different ways to design balanced inputs and of course different levels of quality in components such as opamps and resistors. Note that the XLR inputs reduce gain by 6dB. More on this below.

While these design questions are interesting, at least to me, measurements of the MX-A5000 are available, so it would be best to look at those since the results of design decisions are reflected in actual, measure performance.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-pream...p-measurements

To me, the MX-A5000 measures quite well. The drop off in output with 7 channels driven is unlikely to be encountered in actual use. It is unfortunate that Marantz didn't include power amplifier output stages (and heat sinks, transformer, capacitors - more cost) with higher output in the MX-A5000 since the surrounding circuitry, and the basic design of the output stages, is quite good. Much better than in a typical AVR for example.

The voltage sensitivity for clipping in the review for the MX-5000 is measured at 1.45V with RCA inputs, which means 2.9V with the XLR inputs since the sensitivity is 6dB less. Ignoring the review, these sensitivities are fine. 2V into the XLR's will give 100W. For the HTP-1 these voltage sensitivities should work well. Doubling the RCA input (to determine the voltage sensitivity setting for the HTP-1) gives 2.9V as well so a guess is that 3V would be a good setting.

From the above:

o The MX-A5000 is fundamentally a quiet amplifier

o The MX-A5000 has very good balance inputs.

o The HTP-1 should drive the MX-A5000 very well. The HTP-1 is quiet.

The hard question is hum. If the hum is resulting from a voltage drop in the return wires in the RCA connections then using balanced connections will reduce or more likely, eliminate the hum.

The cause of your problem is from another part of your system (cable TV ground, satellite TV ground, return wire in trigger circuit, who knows?). The resistance of the RCA return lines just causes the problem to be audible. Using balanced lines may eliminate the symptoms (hum), which is great. While you can try the HTP-1 and return it if it doesn't eliminate the hum, that of course takes your time and costs Monoprice money.

My guess is that if you get the HTP-1, and a set of balanced cables, it will either satisfactorily remediate the symptoms of your problem, or you'll soon determine the actual cause out of the remaining options. In the HTP-1 you'll of course have an excellent unit. Needless to say, it's your money and time.
post #2174 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Do you know how I can determine if my Yamaha aventage mx-a5000 amplifier has differential balanced XLR inputs? I'm running a Nad t777 v3 and using pre outs to the amp on RCA I get a very slight but irritating hum on all my speakers.

Really don't want to try a cheater plug for safety's sake since I'm in a rental apt. Any advice if common mode noise rejection with the htp-1 balanced xlr output is my magic pill? Thank you in advance.
The ground lifter thing will make no difference to the power amp as it only has a 2-prong AC connection.

If you disconnect every audio cable from the inputs of the amp, is the hum gone? (Hint: yes )

If you connect just one audio input, the hum exists on at least that channel? (I suspect yes)

But if you only touch the RCA's ground terminal to the amp's RCA ground collar, there's no hum? (I suspect no hum)

Do you have even one XLR to XLR cable, like from a microphone, on hand or can borrow to try with one channel?

If the XLR still produces hum, or you do not have an XLR cable, try disconnecting your cable/sat HDMI input to the NAD.

If that kills the hum, there are RF ground isolators that can fix it.

If that does not kill the hum, keep removing NAD inputs until hum stops.

post #2175 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:

Try grounding your processor/amp to something metal. Grab some speaker wire, touch one end to a screw on your processor (best if you back off the screw a turn or 2 to get to unpainted metal) and just run the wire to some sort of metal to ground it (best is a outlet, even just the metal box etc)
See if it still makes noise.
post #2176 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 02:18 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12489 Post(s)
Liked: 7459
I am concerned that this thread, with its discussions of noise and balanced/unbalanced connections is drifting further away from The discussion regarding the HTP-1. Any chance these types of discussions could be taken to a separate thread?
post #2177 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 789
I emailed Monoprice regarding the Front Wides not being accessible unless you are already running Surrounds and Rear Surrounds and here is there answer:

"Thank you for contacting Monoprice.

In regards to your inquiry, may I ask, where did you learn this? It is to my knowledge that this function should be available. If you could let me know that, I would really appreciate it. I will also make sure to check the credibility of that statement. Thank you.

I look forward to your response."

I responded that's what is stated in the User Manual. I will post their answer as soon as they get it.

In the meantime, can someone be kind enough to do test to see if you can activate Front Wides with just Surrounds speakers activated? This would be a deal breaker for me, thanks!

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 03-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #2178 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
In the meantime, can someone be kind enough to do test to see if you can activate Front Wides with just Surrounds speakers activated? This would be a deal breaker for me, thanks!
I just tried. As soon as I disable "L/R Rear Surround" it also disables "L/R Wide" at the same time, and I cannot re-enable "L/R Wide" without enabling "L/R Rear Surround". I am on V1.3.2 firmware.
jsgrise likes this.

Sony VPL-VW5000ES Laser Projector | Monolith HTP-1 9.1.6 Processor | Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 Signature Subwoofer | Genelec speakers (HT210B, AIW25, AIC25) | Stewart Cinecurve 2.40 w/StudioTek 130 G3 screen
post #2179 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thumb View Post
I just tried. As soon as I disable "L/R Rear Surround" it also disables "L/R Wide" at the same time, and I cannot re-enable "L/R Wide" without enabling "L/R Rear Surround". I am on V1.3.2 firmware.
Thank you so much!

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #2180 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
Serial Number 2 here. Knock on wood.

Well, ol' #1 was RMA'd today. Poor thing wouldn't recover. Even though it's just being exchanged for a new unit, it would be interesting, just for curiosity's sake, if Monolithguy could report what happened once it's been checked over. Would understand if that's not really possible though.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #2181 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirado View Post
I have my HTP-1 for 2 weeks now, it replaced my Onkyo PR-RZ5100. I'm very happy with it, still exploring Dirac and I think I can make it sound even better with multi-channel sources. I have zero issues with it. My only complaint is the no-so-fast WEB GUI interface using my tablet, but the remote works well and I use my tablet occasionally just for displaying information and some audio tweaking. HDMI eARC also works as intended and I can use my Fire TV stick remote to control the HTP-1.

I use XLR connections with my ATI AT52&NC, I tried RCA and got some subtle 60Hz hum so XLR it is.

Hope it helps

Check your tablet. I have an older iPad that’s really slow. My iPhone 8 and 2 year old iPad are much faster

jgirado likes this.
post #2182 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
If you try running the Anthem back channel to the BasX do you still get the noise?

Yes the same issue with BasX - so it has to be an anthem issue.

I will not further derail this HTP-1 thread with my question. Thank you all for the time and inputs - really appreciate all the help.

I will be upgrading to HTP-1 in due course so hopefully the problem will go away

post #2183 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post
Well, ol' #1 was RMA'd today. Poor thing wouldn't recover. Even though it's just being exchanged for a new unit, it would be interesting, just for curiosity's sake, if Monolithguy could report what happened once it's been checked over. Would understand if that's not really possible though.

Coronavirus?
post #2184 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
I have the MX-A5200 and the MX-A5000 before that. Other than the Benchmark AHB2, it's the quietest amp I've tested in my room. That includes amps from Anthem, Parasound, Emotiva, Outlaw, ATI, Onkyo, Marantz, and more.

The NADs I've owned had lots of noise.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #2185 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Check your tablet. I have an older iPad that’s really slow. My iPhone 8 and 2 year old iPad are much faster

Yes, of course, thanks!. Controlling the HTP-1 with my phone (LG V40) is very fast too, but I wanted to continue using my cheapo tablet (Amazon Fire HD 8") which served me well controlling all my previous pre-processors (Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.) through their Android apps. Apps run fast enough, but it seems HTTP protocol using Chrome doesn't.

I guess I'll have to upgrade the tablet one of these days.

Multi-channel 5.1: Monoprice HTP-1 Processor|Stereo 2.0: RME ADI-2 DAC FS|Amplifier: ATI AT527NC
Speakers: (L/R) DeVore Fidelity Gibbon Super Nine|(C) DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 7.1|(SL/SR) Monitor Audio GXFX|(Sub) SVS PC-4000
Srcs: HTPC Win10+UHD Graphics 600|NAS QNAP TS-673+GTX-1050Ti|Fire TV Stick 4K|TV Vizio PQ-65F1 HDMI eArc
Power: PS Audio PerfectWave P10 Power Plant
post #2186 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I was reading the user's manual tonight and a question came to me:

The HTP-1 has two hdmi outputs. Do both always carry exactly the same signal, video and audio? the manual is clear about video, but what about audio?

"It is the job of the HDMI “repeater” inside of the HTP-1 to pass video according to the rules of HDMI while extracting the audio for local decoding. It has two HDMI output ports that output the same content, so the current HDMI input video content is sent to both output ports. During normal operation, audio is extracted and not passed through. Selecting a non-video input (audio-only input) will leave the current HDMI input selected to continue to pass video but the HTP-1 will render audio from the selected audio source."
post #2187 of 3677 Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post
Coronavirus?

If it's mutated and can now spread through electronics I'm booking the next flight off this planet. I hope Mars has a good ISP.
tebling likes this.
post #2188 of 3677 Old 03-10-2020, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys is dirac bass management available for this already? If not will it just be a firmware upgrade or a card? Thinking about buying one and if it is just a software upgrade or card it could be viable to buy this since I live in the philippines but if the upgrade might entail shipping it back to monoprice that would be a huge problem.
post #2189 of 3677 Old 03-10-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobenavidesahavia View Post
Hi guys is dirac bass management available for this already? If not will it just be a firmware upgrade or a card? Thinking about buying one and if it is just a software upgrade or card it could be viable to buy this since I live in the philippines but if the upgrade might entail shipping it back to monoprice that would be a huge problem.
Dirac BM is expected to be a software only upgrade.
post #2190 of 3677 Old 03-10-2020, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
The ground lifter thing will make no difference to the power amp as it only has a 2-prong AC connection.

If you disconnect every audio cable from the inputs of the amp, is the hum gone? (Hint: yes )

If you connect just one audio input, the hum exists on at least that channel? (I suspect yes)

But if you only touch the RCA's ground terminal to the amp's RCA ground collar, there's no hum? (I suspect no hum)

Do you have even one XLR to XLR cable, like from a microphone, on hand or can borrow to try with one channel?

If the XLR still produces hum, or you do not have an XLR cable, try disconnecting your cable/sat HDMI input to the NAD.

If that kills the hum, there are RF ground isolators that can fix it.

If that does not kill the hum, keep removing NAD inputs until hum stops.
I certainly do not have the all of the knowledge and expertise, but after driving myself insane over a hum that I could not locate (and was also acting very oddly, similarly to yours) for love nor money, I inserted this right before my sat box (and later, my cable box), and never heard it again. https://www.amazon.com/Isolation-Tra...3846042&sr=8-5

Good point on the HDMI too, as I once ran into an issue where my projector HDMI cable (a longer run) was inducing hum. Great times.

Good luck, it can be a maddening issue.

James
Roger Dressler likes this.

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page