FM Audio problem with surge suppressor usafe - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Craig Thayer

post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2020, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
FM Audio problem with surge suppressor usafe

I recently purchased a surge suppressor mainly for use with my TV and cable box. However since my Denon CD player/radio is part of my home entertainment system I also plugged that device into the surge suppressor. Strangely now certain FM stations (mainly near left end of dial) have lots of static. If I plug the Denon back into a wall outlet without the surge suppressor FM reception is fine

Any suggestions(other than not using the suppressor for my radio?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Thayer View Post
I recently purchased a surge suppressor mainly for use with my TV and cable box. However since my Denon CD player/radio is part of my home entertainment system I also plugged that device into the surge suppressor. Strangely now certain FM stations (mainly near left end of dial) have lots of static. If I plug the Denon back into a wall outlet without the surge suppressor FM reception is fine

Any suggestions(other than not using the suppressor for my radio?)
What type of antenna are you using for the FM reception?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-09-2020, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I use an indoor wire FM antenna supplied with the Denon unit. I have used it for 5 years and have had excellent reception. Problem only occurs when I plug unit into the surge suppressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

@Craig Thayer I use a Denon with FM reception coming from an outdoor tower antenna plugged into one of two surge protectors with about 15 other things for my system. No static at all. I think you pin pointed the problem. Can you try a different protector?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Surge protector was just purchased so I could return it. It is APC brand which has good reputation. Any other brand suggestions ?

As an aside I have read that a surge protector may not be necessary for AM/FM receiver (I bought the protector mainly for my TV) so commentary is welcome.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
I'm using a Furman PST-8 power conditioner. One source: https://www.amazon.com/Furman-Alumin...ruments&sr=1-3 15A limit. I believe that it's intended for use with A/V gear.

Some question its utility, but it at least does no obvious harm in my system.
bigguyca likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-12-2020, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

1) Try a different surge protector
2) Move antenna

3) Get a better antenna

4) Don't use surge protector
5) Get a new receiver
6) Use the Internet for radio..the whole world is available
Sorry buddy, but I am out of ideas. Maybe post your problem over at the HD Radio forum. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/154-hd-radio/ There might be more answers over there.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Is all your gear plugged into the same surge protector? If not, is it at least all plugged into the same outlet (some through the surge protector and some not)? If not, then is it at least the same circuit? Do you have grounded equipment like a cable box that might be contaminating your ground? If you have a cable box, I would suggest you temporarily disconnect it (most importantly, disconnect the cable wire). If you aren't all on the same outlet (you really should be if possible), try that.

Ideally literally everything you have should be surge-protected. In fact, many of us recommend a "Service entrance" AKA "whole house" surge protector at your distribution panel (AKA "breaker box") and then additional surge protectors at the outlet for anything valuable. Though buying a service entrance protector is not the answer to this issue. But I will say that you should not have any issues whatsoever putting literally ANY of your gear on a surge protector if it is properly rated.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

All items are plugged into the surge protector. I unplugged the cable box from the suppressor but there is still static on FM radio. However static is mainly near left end of the dial (e.g 91.3 FM) . Again when I plug the Denon device (AM/FM radio with CD player) into outlet separate from the surge suppressor there is no static

Maybe best bet would be return the APC brand suppressor and try a different brand (?) although Best Buy level suppressors (which is where I bought it) might all be similar quality.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Do you have an analog portable radio that you can hold near the suppressor and see if it causes noise? I can't see how it would. First, APC is a reputable brand. Secondly, there is probably very little in that device beyond MOVs, and MOVs should look like an open circuit until they get tripped. There should be no significant RF generation going on in there. The Furman PST-8 previously mentioned is definitely an upgrade over any APC, but I still can't see why any APC model should cause this problem. If anything, the series-mode protection (SMP) in the Furman actually increases the complexity of their circuit significantly over APC.

I'd check it with a radio, and I would try another surge protector you have lying around. I do think the radio would be a fair test to see if it generates RF because if the surge protector were sending RF over its outputs, it would also be broadcasting it electromagnetically and should be audible this way.

You can try checking a radio both in FM and AM; sometimes AM makes certain types of noise audible even if it's a fraction or multiple of the main frequency. Harmonics, etc.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I actually do have a portable AM/FM radio (at 70 years age I have listened to "transistor radios" most of my life). When I hold the portable radio next to the suppressor there is no static on AM or FM (including the FM frequencies for which I have a problem when using the APC suppressor). I probably should return the current suppressor and exchange for another one

Any idea why only frequencies near the left end of the FM band have the static issue ? I am clueless.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my query !

I returned the surge suppressor and exchanged it for another one (same brand and model number) and I no longer have the static problem indicating that the first suppressor was defective. If the issue unexpectedly recurs I will consider one of the other suggestions (e.g new FM antenna)

Craig
MRAYB likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Thayer View Post
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my query !

I returned the surge suppressor and exchanged it for another one (same brand and model number) and I no longer have the static problem indicating that the first suppressor was defective. If the issue unexpectedly recurs I will consider one of the other suggestions (e.g new FM antenna)

Craig
Good to hear it is working out better now. If you are serious about FM and can get a line run to the outside (or hidden somewhere inside) check out this antenna. It is fairly cheap, and might double the number of stations you are currently receiving. I use a one in the garage and one on the back patio. Both are mounted about 20 feet up my main antenna tower. They really work well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by MRAYB; 01-17-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page